Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Head bearing removal - how to remove lower collar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YBowner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Head bearing removal - how to remove lower collar? Reply with quote

Hi. Would anyone have a top tip on how to remove the lower collar (inner bearing race) on the steering stem? Access is poor as there is an alloy disk that means it is not possible to get under the race to prise it off.
laminator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop me a pm with your email address, I've got some YB7 info that might help.

Basically it says remove forks, top yoke, then -

Quote -

'Loosen the fixing screws and remove the dust seal (fig...) using a rubber mallet, tap the head of the pin until the lower base unit drops out (fig...)'

Hope this helps.

Re-reading your post I guess you've got the unit off and the inner of the bearing is stuck to the shaft.

On cars we used to heat them up or carefullly remove them with a cutting disc. Wouldn't like to do that in this case.

Sorry not sure about your problem, maybe WD40 and careful use of some grips/stilsons.
bluedog59

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presuming you have the yoke out and the inner race is stuck to the stem,using a bench grinder,angle grinder or a Dremel gently grind away the race in a couple of places. Take care not to actually grind through the race and you should find it becomes that weak you can tap it off or split it with a chisel. If you do nick the stem it is not the end of the world as long as you smooth out any edges and it's only small.
GIVE IT A GOOD CLEAN BEFORE YOU GO ANYWHERE NEAR IT WITH THE NEW BEARING.
oily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laminator wrote:

'Loosen the fixing screws and remove the dust seal (fig...) using a rubber mallet, tap the head of the pin until the lower base unit drops out (fig...)'

very generic as they use the exact same words in the SB6 and SB6R manuals Laughing
YBowner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice guys. Tried with the Dremel last night but nicked the stem and lost my nerve. Will try again in the weekend when the light is better.
YBowner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a more successful weekend.

Rather then cutting vertically down the collar, I cut two horizontal grooves with the dremmel and used a bearing extractor to pull the collar up the stem. Worked a treat and took about 20 mins to do with no further damage to the stem.
Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need help if someone can provide. I'm trying to replace my head bearings off my YB6 as well. Got the top yoke off, but can't remove the choke button ? Do I need to remove the cable at the carbs ? Surely not ?

Once thats done, anyone got some pictures or advice on how hard to belt the "pin"....I really need assistance otherwise its off to the shop

thanks
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: YB steering bearing Reply with quote

Alchemist, I'm afraid you do have to disconnect the choke cable at the carb end, because undoing the nut under the choke knob on the top yoke doen't allow the mechanism to come far enough clear of the yoke to disconnect the cable at that end. I'm afraid I've never needed to change the bearings so I don't know how hard you've got to wack the stem head to separate the bearings.
Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks for the info. OK, this is going to be fun !!!
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: YB6 Head Bearing Removal Reply with quote

The other thing you need to know Alchemist, is that if the 6 has the same bearings as the 8 they are a very strange and rare beast. I can probably give you a number if you need one, but brace youself for a search.
Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm virtually positive it is the same frame and therefore same bearings as YB8 so if you have the numbers, that would be greatly appreciated.

Its a Japanese import and I suspect has been left out in the rain, on the sidestand for many months. Could this effect steering head operation ie gone dry. It actually got better the more I rode it but when putting it all back together last week, the steering head felt REALLY notchy. Could just be a lubrication issue. But if I can I will replace. Have no intention of selling it.

Thanks to all again.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: YB Head Bearings Reply with quote

Alchemist, apologies for slow response. FAG bearing number is 502365, it's a sort of a hybrid between a roller and a ball bearing, with barrel shaped rollers! Good luck.
YBowner

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bearings are also used on an old Mercedes gear box. Rare and getting expensive. Heard of prices ranging from 20 GBP to 100 GBP each.
who

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: YB Head Bearings Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
Alchemist, apologies for slow response. FAG bearing number is 502365, it's a sort of a hybrid between a roller and a ball bearing, with barrel shaped rollers! Good luck.

Are they this type of bearing so to allow different top insets (ie: change of head rake or caster angle)?
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Head Bearing Removal Reply with quote

Spot on WHO, albeit I've never seen the inserts to allow you to change the angle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: