Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Hub-centre steering motorcycle project ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steff_dk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
Amazing work - I'm super-impressed at what you're doing. I've been using fusion360 myself recently, so it's great to see what it's capable of beyond the little things that I've been producing.

Really looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

Mike

Thank you for your kind words Mike.

I feel like I am still bumbling around in Fusion 360 but I try to find myself a little YouTube video that explains something new whenever my skills come up short.

Fusion 360 is very forgiving in the sense that you can make most things look good yet it is a completely different matter when you have the parts in hand and realize an oversight.

I am very aware that I may end up with several parts that need rework or worst case a project that can only be classified as "automotive art" Mr. Green Rolling Eyes
steff_dk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calipers have arrived. I ended up with some stock Brembo / MV Agusta F3. They're not Monobloc but I think still sufficient for what I am trying to do here.

The foot is the proper measure for a shoe. If you stick to this rule, you will
keep the measure, but if you go beyond it, you are bound in the end to go
over a cliff, so to speak. It’s the same with the shoe if you exceed the foot;
first comes a gilded shoe, and next one embroidered with purple. Once you
exceed the measure, there is no limit. - Epictetus.

These were half price compared to a set of used M4 Monoblocks.
They are 100mm bolt distance and 30mm offset.

The drawing is accurate on the surfaces that need to be - but I have taken some "artistic liberties" (shortcuts) where it didn't matter in order to save time.

It is pretty clear to me that the caliper mount has to come out a fair amount to clear the wheel but I see that this was also the case for the Tesi 500.

I am really looking forward to getting the wheel now as I have no idea how wide the spokes are where the calipers will sit. The clearance in the drawing between the calipers is only 32mm Surprised I need to push them as close together as possible, while keeping adequate clearance to the spokes.

Last edited by steff_dk on Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
mau70

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I am new in this amazing forum.

steff_dk your work is great!

One year and half ago I started with the design of my HCS bike.
I used as basis for my design a Gilera KZ 125 (1986) and developed the front end suspension with HCS system and left the rest of the bike as the original one. As you did, I used for the design Fusion 360 that is very flexible software and easy to learn. Every single piece was 3D printed and mounted on the bike to check correct assembly.
Actually, I am proceeding with the fabrication of the componets of the front suspension using Aluminium. Here below find a couple of pictures of my project at the actual status ... but there are still a lot of things to do ...

The front fender is for a test, to see how it looks.

Bye
mau70

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used as basis for my design a Gilera KZ 125 (1986) and developed the front end suspension with HCS system and left the rest of the bike as the original one. As you did, I used for the design Fusion 360 that is very flexible software and easy to learn. Every single piece was 3D printed and mounted on the bike to check correct assembly.
Actually, I am proceeding with the fabrication of the componets of the front suspension using Aluminium. Here below find a couple of pictures of my project at the actual status ... but there are still a lot of things to do ...

Bye
mau70

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye
steff_dk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mau70 wrote:

Bye

Welcome to the forum Mauro! That looks great! Very Happy I love it!
How do you manage to print such huge pieces? - it is a great idea to print for test fitting. I will have to do the same once I get my wheel back but a full swing arm is way too big for my 20 x 20 cm printer Mr. Green

Have you had anything metal produced yet? How much steering to each side were you able to get?

I really think you should make a thread and keep us updated in this forum. Bimota, or not, I think everyone would love to follow your project. Looks fantastic!
mau70

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steff,

for the huge parts, e.g. front swing arm, I divided it in smaller parts suitable to be printed with 230 x 230 printer and connected each other by means of dovetail shaped joints .. as lego set Very Happy

Yes I have produced in metal (aluminium EN AW-6082) a couple of pieces for the steering system ... I'll take some pictures to show you them ...

Bye
mau70

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steff,

I achieved 18° degrees each side for steering, not so much but enough for riding.

Bye
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you said "The downside (of using titanium)is obviously the 5x material cost"

NOT TO MENTION finding a suitable machine shop with experience in Ti machining. Cutting depths and feed rates for Ti are quite different to steel or Aluminium alloys. All the cost of developing the cutting programmes for the CNC have to be taken into account and probably a few tools that are scrapped in development?
steff_dk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:
you said "The downside (of using titanium)is obviously the 5x material cost"

NOT TO MENTION finding a suitable machine shop with experience in Ti machining. Cutting depths and feed rates for Ti are quite different to steel or Aluminium alloys. All the cost of developing the cutting programmes for the CNC have to be taken into account and probably a few tools that are scrapped in development?

Yes I believe you're right Very Happy

My only experience with titanium is owning a watch with a watch case made from it - and watching this video ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMcTFslVTgA

If you're not familiar with "This Old Tony" I highly recommend his channel. Really enjoyable stuff and a great sense of humour ...

I am considering giving it a go with dowel pins from titanium round stock to see if I can cut them on my measly Emco hobby lathe Rolling Eyes - although it is probably more of a distraction since the weight savings are neglible compared to steel pins.

Last edited by steff_dk on Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
steff_dk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axle-holding-whatchamacallit are in.
Someone please recommend a more suitable and technical sounding name for these Mr. Green

They are Aluminium 6061 T6 with aluminium coloured anodizing.

I chose 6061 because it is weldable if my plan A of bonding them in place doesn't pan out...
steff_dk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished drafting caliper mounts. They will clear the brake discs by about 5mm.

Caliper bolts are M10 and the bolt for attaching steering mechanism is M8.
The thickness of the material most places is 8mm.

I will have to wait for my wheel to get back before I can submit these to the CNC shop so hopefully first week of January ...

steff_dk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mau70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steff_dk wrote:
Axle-holding-whatchamacallit are in.
Someone please recommend a more suitable and technical sounding name for these Mr. Green

They are Aluminium 6061 T6 with aluminium coloured anodizing.

I chose 6061 because it is weldable if my plan A of bonding them in place doesn't pan out...

Steff,

very nice work!

I would suggest to call these parts: "trail rods" or "trail bars", considering that the slope of the square hole determines the trail of the front wheel.

Bye
steff_dk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update as I have practically done nothing for a month other than wait ...

Still waiting for the machine shop to finish the wheel. Have been after them a couple of times to hear when I could pick it up.
I suppose there is progress since they promised to have it done Monday and they came back and asked for the drawing again last Friday as they had lost it in the mean time ...

Having been mostly idle over Christmas I decided to do one of the things I had wanted to since I received the calipers.

I needed to measure out precisely what distance the caliper should sit as to put the brake pads where they need to bite into the disc.
While the pads are held into place by the pins and the clip I suppose they can still wiggle a bit around during braking so the distance needs to be so that no matter what extreme position they are in they always have at least 1 mm to the outer edge of the disc.
It was quite a struggle to get the pinch bolts loosened while holding the caliper with one hand and the wrench in the other. Good advice to loosen these before taking them off the bike ...

As my little lathe cannot grip very big parts I had to use double-sided tape to stick a smaller POM (plastic) disc onto the lager one so it could be turned down to 145 mm and then an edge with the smaller 132 mm dia where the disc could sit while measuring.

I now have a precise measurement for the offset to update the caliper mounts.

So I have learned that the caliper mounts are about 5mm too long at the moment.

Time to fix the drawing and order a rebuild kit so the calipers can be cleaned and brought back to good working order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: