Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R experience over the last year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SB8_#34

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: SB8R experience over the last year Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

in my other thread i documented my purchase of a non-running SB8R. It had a mere 2k miles and i bought it with intentions of adding many more.

Initially, I couldn't even get it to sputter as the ECU would not run the fuel pump or fire the spark plugs, but fellow forum member SB8R Tuner (Chris) repaired it and got me up and running.

I was thrilled to get out on the road with it, but as other SB8R owners are aware, these can be cantankerous beasts. Much of my troubles centered around starting. When cold, it could take several tries which can result in flooding the engine or fouling the plugs.

I gave Chris another call to see if he had any advice. He warned me to not use the cold start/ "choke" knob and advised turning up the idle a bit instead. That "choke" knob doesn't operate on both cylinders equally which can cause problems.

I had also purchased a fuel trimmer knob but it wasn't labeled with any markings so i wasn't sure what it was really doing if anything. I sent this and the ECU back to Chris. He was able to reprogram the ECU (YES, it can be done!!!) with tuning that he had developed for easier starting and smoother running at low and medium RPM. He was also able to tell me how the trimmer works and he is able to update the programming and tell me exactly what each position does.

Mine is currently setup to have a Zero position along with -2%, -4%-6%, -7%, -8%, +1%, +2%, +4%, and +5%

I have been using the +4% position for starting then switching to the -4% while riding.

The bike now starts much faster and more reliably which is letting me really enjoy owning it. It's also running much smoother at low rpm- i live in the city, so i can't avoid having to putt around at 25mph for a bit on every ride. Of course it pulls hard all the way to redline and rattles those Moto Corse pipes just right. I've already added another 2k miles to my bike in the last year and will be doing more this year. It's not a garage queen!

I hope my post inspires other SB8R owners to get out and ride their bikes and if you're hesitant to do so because it's not running right, please reach out to SB8R Tuner! he'll take care of you.

here's mine after a ride a few weeks back. got caught in the rain and it didn't even melt.
brian

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post mate. I'm sure this info will help someone get their bike on the road. Nice to see you enjoying your Bimota
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: