Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

A long winded VDue Track Bike build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he does nice work mate. It will be good to see the airbox when he finishes it
stockcar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning
Weed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stockcar. Clyde did an amazing job of modelling the original very restricted snorkel into the final design / shape
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez.......the build.....it’s at a different level

Respect

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
Weed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Gav.
This community has put me in touch with quality suppliers overseas, while on the local front I am fortunate to be close to craftsmen that did the bulk of the work on this build
Weed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting close to the end now.

I was able to get a set of track/race fairings & seat base from Motoflash in Italy for a reasonable price. The catch was that the freight to Aus was a bit rich to put not to fine of a point on it. I asked on this site if somebody in Italy could help me out on the freight & Bimototo came to the rescue. The old supplier was looking to try & double his money on the sale by jacking up the freight.

Bimototo organised the freight for me at a highly discounted rate compared to Motoflash & the package arrived in a timely manner as well.
The quality of the fairings were fine, especially for a track bike as we can get them to look pretty good during the painting process.

The belly pan just had a cut out for the lower expansion chamber so I had an insert made up & bonded into the belly pan so that it could meet the regulations of being fully sealed incase of an engine/gearbox disaster & catch any split fluids.

We modified the 6 bolt location for the seat unit by adding carbon fibre strips to strengthen the attachment points & also removed the countersunk drillings for the mounting bolts. This removed any stress multipliers that they countersunk bolts & drillings induce into the seat unit. The bolts were replaced with Ti flanged bolts to spread the load as well.

Clyde made a mounting bracket for the exhaust system that connected it to the seat unit as well.

The following photos were taken before we fitted the mag swingarm & modified the seat mounting points

Apart from the pretty, the only remaining work is to fit up the new airbox when it is finished, finish off the tuning map and get a good rider to start the shake down tests on the track.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress indeed...and good to see a Forum member assist to cut costs....MOTOFLASH??...did they make the products or just have some for sale and thats it? I couldnt find them on the internet....I wouldnt have been so sure of the security of glass fibre self supporting seat unit...but the mods you've made should sort that...as the CF seat units go REAL think at the mounting points and elsewhere on the seat units to stop any flex....they are real rigid...and only weigh 3.65Kgs....
What colour scheme you going for? Its rare to see any of these in anything other than standard factory colours....although when I saw an All black carbon fibre one with all silver logos...that certainly pushed my buttons
stockcar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice........
Weed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Nice progress indeed...and good to see a Forum member assist to cut costs....MOTOFLASH??...did they make the products or just have some for sale and thats it? I couldnt find them on the internet....I wouldnt have been so sure of the security of glass fibre self supporting seat unit...but the mods you've made should sort that...as the CF seat units go REAL think at the mounting points and elsewhere on the seat units to stop any flex....they are real rigid...and only weigh 3.65Kgs....
What colour scheme you going for? Its rare to see any of these in anything other than standard factory colours....although when I saw an All black carbon fibre one with all silver logos...that certainly pushed my buttons

Cheers 2bims. Motoflash make fairings for different bikes etc. New & old stuff. Www.motoflash.it will get your there. I forget who put me onto them as it wasn't Piero.

I have only had 5 years to come up with a colour scheme & still haven't decided on one yet but it won't be the original scheme , even though the original is great. My road going one is that colour so it will be something different but I don't know what
Weed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to see the carbon man this morning for an up date on the airbox. It has been there for a few months but at least he has now finished the moulds & they look great. He made 4 segments to make up the airbox. Hopefully I will have an airbox in about 2 weeks
Weed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the wait for the carbon airbox is finally over. Picked it up on Monday. A lovely job he has done as well. I will be able to complete the build & tuning now once I get another couple of projects out of the way.

SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding Build!! What A Work of art!!
Any possibility that your carbon guy would make another set of snorkels and airbox? I'm going to try and finish mine up this summer and was going to look at doing something on the same front, but no reason to reinvent the wheel.
Suzuki 1988 GSXR-750
Suzuki 1989 GSXR-750R
Weed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give him a call today SB8R. This lot took about 6 months but there were a lot of complications along the way. At least the moulds are made now.
A couple of pics with the snorkels fitted up

trev45

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon looks great and no weight a win win Wink
steff_dk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic!

I wonder if they used two different designs for air boxes on the Vdue.

My EVO had carbon air boxes seperate for each carb i.e. nothing connecting them in the middle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: