Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB9 Replacement discs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil-short

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: YB9 Replacement discs? Reply with quote

I have avoided even thinking about how worn my discs and carriers are. At over 50,000 kms they are shot so what are my options to replace them?

I have come across a german seller who has 2nd hand steel and cast iron bimota originals to fit with correct offset and little wear he says which would come in about €300 which would be okay if bobbins etc are okay. If I went for this option my inclination would be for stainless even though originals were cast iron.... right or wrong?

I also came across a few sites selling new stainless NG discs which supposedly fit and they would be about 400 but I have messaged 3 different sites and none have replied to say the diisc offset is the same so...

So has anybody got a set lying around they want to pass on or any suggestions of where I might pick up new items?

As ever, thanks in advance for any advice
Anders

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: YB9 Replacement discs? Reply with quote

phil-short wrote:
I have avoided even thinking about how worn my discs and carriers are. At over 50,000 kms they are shot so what are my options to replace them?

I have come across a german seller who has 2nd hand steel and cast iron bimota originals to fit with correct offset and little wear he says which would come in about €300 which would be okay if bobbins etc are okay. If I went for this option my inclination would be for stainless even though originals were cast iron.... right or wrong?

I also came across a few sites selling new stainless NG discs which supposedly fit and they would be about 400 but I have messaged 3 different sites and none have replied to say the diisc offset is the same so...

So has anybody got a set lying around they want to pass on or any suggestions of where I might pick up new items?

As ever, thanks in advance for any advice

You could always ask ISR in Sweden to make you a pair.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the German seller is Rudolf of BimotaParts.de then I would trust him...I bought a good set of used original discs for my DB2 from him....13 years ago...and theyre still good....I'd stick to original....but i like the old rattly discs and their improved stopping power...Cast iron has 20% more friction than stainless steel...and if you changed discs you'd be changing pads also...although I'd do that also if buying different discs....

He has new discs with the measurements...but he will be right....and so will be the discs...

https://www.bimota-parts.de/en/component/virtuemart/yb9/2-bremsscheiben-detail.html?Itemid=470
DB1 860

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go new rotors and pads then your brakes will be like new.
phil-short

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, who would have thunk it???
It turns out that the later YB9 SRI used different forks and discs than the original YB9.
Mine has 43mm forks as opposed to 41mm on the earlier models but the discs are also different.
I was on to Rudy at Bimota parts .de as 2bims recommendation was good enough for me but his YB9 discs are different to mine.
As best I can measure with the discs still on the bike my offset is only 5mm as opposed to 26.5 and the disc centre is about 65mm as opposed to 80mm on those.
In the middle of writing this I have been looking through his site and just seen that he has a pair of secondhand discs for an SB8R which just look to be more like my size..... I am going to ask him now if he can check the measurements on those as he did not specify the specs for these.
And would any SB8R owners be able to confirm or deny what I am hoping to be a solution......or any other model that used this size??

My SRI front end

Earlier YB* front end

SB*R discs

And no need to point out I need to spend some time cleaning the bike, I know I do!
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Phil.....Well....You've now mentioned YB9 "SRI"......your initial post was just good old YB9.....so I may well have assumed you meant the carbie YB9SR

2 identical Bimotas made the same day could have different wheels and/or discs depending on what parts bimota had available to make a complete bike....thats the way with small manufacturers

YB9SR had marchesini wheels, 3 spokes and cast iron brembo full floaters that I call Pizza slices and Pork Pie chunks....narrow hubs on the front meant deep dished brembo discs...you can always identify the offset by the pattern of the rotors used......

YB9SRi had heavy wide hubbed Antera 3 spoke wheels.....and thus used the flatter Pizza slice and pepperoni carrier discs.....Both the discs you've shown....Ducati 900 Superlight also used these.....Not the Mk1....but the original superlight....rare discs....The SB8R discs you've shown should fit and be the right offset as they are used by Bimota on bikes with the Same Antera wheels....Bimota Vdue, DB4, SB6R, SB8 YB9SRI....wheels are the critical key.....Forks are irrelevant....all are 320mm diameter....
phil-short

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, my bad. I never realized the earlier yb9 had different wheels but it makes sense when you think of the widely different offset.

Anyway I will go with the SB8R discs so when I hear back from Rudi. I decided he was the man to deal with as soon as I saw the funky gold disc bolts he also has to match...
Anders

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth: On my BB1, I use a disk off a 748R. Direct replacement, the only difference is that the Bimota screws are countersunk. The BB1 have the same wheels and forks as the YB9SRi as far as I can tell.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup....Rudolfs a good guy and can be trusted...only takes bank transfer last I bought anything...but that worked fine...and yup...you'll need new bolts when you try and remove the old ones they normally chew up like soft toffee in the midday sun
phil-short

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then late at night you find these beauties which are superb and i want so much but not that much.... available here https://www.ebay.ie/itm/114787562620?hash=item1ab9df347c:g:ahcAAOSwb6tgi9WH
but landed to Ireland would amount to €1100 and change. cast iron and with sexy wear indicaters. Thankfully I am not drinking anymore cos the buy it now option and my wife's credit card details.... easy way to die!
Definitely going with the 2nd hand sb8 sidscs!
brian

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are lovely looking rotors for sure..... just under $1800 Au delivered to me Shocked
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
DB1 860

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got the same rotors on my 1998 Ducati SPS, but in stainless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: