Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Recommissioned DB2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will double check the headers Brian. At the moment there’s more farting/popping coming from the cans of the DB2 than a herd of hippos after a good meal!
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there were in fact two issues wit the carbs. I ended up taking the bike to REPS motorcycle in Caldicot (between Newport and Cardiff). Royston Edwards (The RE of REPS) has plenty of experience and a dyno at his disposal. Despite the cleaning and carb rebuild he found some obstruction in one of the jets and also a part wrong way around. That solved the starting issue (I’ve also fitted a new set of earth and starter leads which are at least twice the diameter of the OE!, which must also help).

The exhaust popping was my fault. The dual density foam I used in the filter box was too restrictive. Removed entirely the bike ran lean. With some material (cut out of a Kawasaki filter!) the AF ratio was spot on and I now have a bike which starts first hit of the button and revs cleanly.

The morel of this is that sometimes you just have to accept your limitations and pay someone you trust to sort the problem out.

Onwards and upwards.
hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by Welshlamb's discovery on the airfilter, I decided it was high time that I had a look at mine - I was aware that it had been previously configured with quite thick foam, held in with chickenwire, and based on what he previously said about filters being too restrictive - I guess this might well be a problem for mine also (and I'm planning on getting mine down to a dyno shop in the next few weeks - so best getting this fixed now).

As per Ralphs' advice, I took a '99 ZX9R filter, and cut to shape. This filter is also conveniently the right thickness for the DB2 airbox, but I wondered about whether I should provide addition support on the exterior of the filter, so I had a go at 3d printing a replacement, with additional support.

Unfortunately, I got one of the holes in slightly the wrong place, and could do with making the frame slightly wider to accommodate the middle bolt holes with slightly more material.

However - perhaps all that was wasted effort (though, an interesting exercise, for sure), because fitting the original retainer, the filter seems to be reasonably secure (even without the chickenwire!)

Mike
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Getting close! Reply with quote

Hooray!
Finally got the bike to MOT Test Centre yesterday (Insured using frame no) and picked her up this morning
PASSED with no Advisories!

Its been a long road.
Bought in Japan mid 2018 It is an early model Bimota DB2 (s/n ****72), with fake ‘twin stoplight’ rear light lens. but first registered in Japan as new in March 1996? 13,860 Kms (approx. 8,700miles)
Finally shipped to me in UK Mid 2019 (don't ask!)
Full recommissioning (covid, house maitenance and other bike projects on TOP of the usual bike resto delays!)

Due to delay in shipping the bike was futher deteriorated by the time I got it and has needed a lot of work to get it to what I regard as a acceptable standard. she's not a 'show queen' as they say but a good useable bike in totally original spec and A1 mechanical condition.

NEW PARTS FITTED
• Clutch master Cylinder lever assy, incl lever
• Reservoir cap on Brake Master cyl assy
• 520 chain
• Front wheel bearings
• Pair of Michelin 2CT tyres
• Brake pads front and rear
• Oil and Oil Filter, brake and clutch fluids
• New fuel lines and filter
• Cam belts
• Throttle cables
• Yuasa YTX14AHL battery
• Heavy duty earth and starter (2X) cables
• Rear brake master cylinder
• OE clutch cover

OTHER WORK
o Front wheel stripped to bare metal and recoated (rear is clean and
original)
o Sidestand stripped and re chromed better than new (triple plated)
o Rear axle/eccentric pins stripped and re chromed better than new
o Brake discs cleaned/refurbished and zinc plated as per new
o Exhaust cleaned , fitted new gaskets and brass cylinder nuts
o Replaced Speedo (now Mph)
o Replaced Front cylinder valve /cam covers with good used (old ones
were suffering from road debris blast)
o Rear hub inspected, Rubbers and drive pins all OK
o Many new fasteners in SS and yellow zinc plated
o Carbs professionally stripped, cleaned (ultrasonic) and rebuilt
with all new gaskets
o Air filter box cleaned and new filter materia
o Carbs set-up on rolling road

Now it has its MOT I need to get all the paperwork off to DVLA to get a UK reg plate on it.

Even on the run to and from the MOT centre it reminded me just how light the bike is, how punchy the motor is, great exhaust note and really sharp brakes.

Will put a few more miles on it just to be sure that everything is settled in but probably will offer it for sale here once registered as I have another DB2 under restoration/rebuild at the moment and thats scheduled to be the 'keeper' ........ I need to convince the wife I am not intent on becoming a trader when she opens the garage door!
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Ralph, looks great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: