Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5r experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
polyesterpig

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: DB5r experience Reply with quote

Anybody have a DB5 that they would be willing to give a review of the pros and cons? I have a DB4ie and wondered if I should sell it for the 5. One thing I really like about the DB4ie is it uses the Ducati fuel injection software. I think the DB5 uses the Bimota injection software. But I like everything else about the DB5r. When riding the DB4IE, I feel like I’m sitting in the bike compared to the Ducati 900s where I felt I was sitting on top of the bike. Not sure how the DB5 would feel.
2010 Ducati Hypermotard evo SP
2000 Bimota DB4ie BiPosto
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ridden a DB4ie only a DB4 tricolor but have ridden DB5s and DB5R.

DB4 my opinion - ( db4 has sport kit and light wheels , ohlins rear shock, might be slightly skewed as ridden standard DB4 and feels night and day to mine)
Slightly on the comfy/soft side . Feels very neutral . Soft seat, roomy riding position , bars seem just right stretch ( good distance apart) , good peg position/height.
Riding is easy , flickable , low weight , good fun at reasonable road speed , lazy/torquey 2v engine seems to suit cycle parts , makes a good all round package IMHO.

DB5R - completely standard
More on than in seating position , narrow seat , narrow tank , bars are quite a stretch , low down and very narrow , just feels VERY long and narrow bike full stop .
Frame and Ohlins suspension are very capable , turns well , tracks well through corners but doesn't feel as flickable or alive as my DB4.
Engine is lazy 2v again but more cc / bhp and bimota injection , ( not had any issues , YET) .
To be honest the 5R needs another 20 or so BHP in my opinion . The frame/suspension is more than capable of handling that and I think would certainly feel more ' alive' if stressed a bit more.

DB5S in comparison to 5R was similar but suspension just way to stiff, especially forks.

If I had to sell either my DB4 or my DB5R , well on the enjoyment factor it would be the 4 I kept , on the exclusivity / art /looks factor I guess the 5R would win.

Possibly if I was in the market , with DB5R money , hands down I would go for a DB7/8 . All the looks , exclusivity etc , more comfortable , enjoyable to ride etc etc
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Ducati 900SSie use the same ECu as Bimota used on the DB4ie?....I heard it was magneti Marelli but didnt realise it was the same....not so familiar with the DB4ie.....The DB4 carbie tricolor used the engine from the Ducati monster as that was still using mikuni 38's at the time....rather than the fuel injected lump on the 900ssie...hence the silver grey casings...

I 95% go along with what Vort says...I have a DB5R and a standard DB4 carbie tri-color.....albeit like Vorts...it has ally Dymag wheels to get rid of the heavy Anteras......such a swap gets rid of the wheel wobble on the front at 80-85mph.....But unlike his I dont have FCR 39 Keihin carbs.....which I wish I did as they transform a sleepy motor into a little beastie....if you have the optional big bore titanium moto corse end can also

DB5R for exclusivity....they only made 28 of them...so thats an issue...and shipped bikes to over 60 countries....Ive seen them in Brazil and Australia and South Africa....theres 4 here in the UK....probably only 5 or 6 in the USA.....They sound great...with the lightweight zard titanium end cans....the seat height is lower...and footpegs and gear and brake levers are adjustable also....yes...it could take more power...slipper clutches fitted as standard are a nightmare pulling away from traffic lights...you have to go slowly until its fully engaged then you can crack on....no more clutch slipping away...as it disengages and you hop like a bunny on steroids....

You are "in" the DB5R more than other bikes....but not "in" it as much as DB1/2/4/6....Seat is gel so even though its thinner than DB4...its far more comfy than the DB6...and as comfy as DB4.....its more long legged in length though....on dual carriageways and motorways you can travel at full max speed and it makes sense and is supremely competant and stable...no Steering damper needed...and its looks are to die for....no one really looks at a DB4 at bike meets....but they drool over a DB5R...its so "out there" and dripping in lovely touches and gems of parts....But if youre riding them...that shouldnt matter.....Where do you spend your riding time? At what speed? If in the canyons and below 60mph...I'd bet you get home quicker on a DB4ie....

After that, its price.....DB4's were sold by the crateful when Bimota went bump.....up to 20 in a crate for buttons...in the UK you struggle to sell a mint low mileage DB4 for more than £7500....WHereas a DB5R.....£15,000...because they just arent for sale...anywhere....in the UK theres 4 No. DB4's currently for sale....I imagine the difference in the USA would be similar....Do you get twice the bike?....No....not in riding....in Looks?...I say you get 4x the bike...all carbon bodywork....the trellis frame and swingarm...ohlins F&R....Brembo monoblocks and radial masters...OZ lightweight racing wheels...etc etc...If youre flush with money....buy a DB5R and keep the DB4 for rainy days....the DB4 is the least used of all my Bimotas....which is a shame....But I dont want to spend £3-4K on updating the engine to big bore and big carbs etc etc....as the frame and suspension could easily handle it

So...Are you Rich with cash to splash?....Finding one is the issue....Do you favour flash looks over rideability?....Where do you often ride and at what speeds?....THats what determines what you end up doing...
polyesterpig

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vort and 2Bims, thanks for the write ups, very informative. I appreciate you guys taking the time to write up a detailed comparison. Wow, only 28 DB5rs made. That means only a very few people could respond like you both did.

2Bims, yes the DB4ie uses the Ducati 15m a8 computer. So after I had a Giannelli exhaust made, the heads ported, opened up the air box lid, I purchased a Ducati performance ECU and the tuning was spot on.

Thanks again,
John
2010 Ducati Hypermotard evo SP
2000 Bimota DB4ie BiPosto
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polyesterpig wrote:
. So after I had a Giannelli exhaust made, the heads ported, opened up the air box lid, I purchased a Ducati performance ECU and the tuning was spot on.
John

Now that must be a good bike to ride !!!
I always think the DB4 should get more appreciation than it does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: