Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

3D Tires?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: 3D Tires? Reply with quote

At the risk of starting a brawl...
What tires (manufacturer & model) are preferred for a Tesi 3D?
Are there any tires which should be avoided for the 3D?
Thanks in advance.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheres FNL?...Is that F'in Ell...?...I ask...because climate plays a big part in tyre choice...hot warm climates...so for tyres like Pirellis that suit it...Bimota fit Pirelli Corse Diablo/Super Corse tyres...Not my bag really...I dont like the V profile...bikes tend to white line/tram line at low speed....uneasy...and I dont like the fall off...all subjective to how one rides...and what one likes...Michelins always for me...they dont white line/tram line...follow undulations in road surface...plus...Michelins are for me better in the wet and not so hot countries...and a rounded profile

The next question will be..."how do I support the front of the bike to take the wheel off"....followed shortly by "How the frig do I balance the front wheel?"...Bimota spare parts list shows LARGE round blocks of alloy that are bolted onto a removed wheel over each side of the spindle to lock it in one plane....then it can be spun up in a wheel balance machine to show where wheel weights need to be added...Are you near a bimota dealer?..>Which Country?
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tesi3D's came with Conti Attack - race from the factory , as did my other Bimota's of the same era.
Although I have not replaced a Tesi tyre yet , I have replaced the Conti's on my DB5R/7/BB3 . I am a Michelin man at heart so these I replaced with Michelin pilot race/RS . I have found the Michelin profile and characteristics are very similar to the conti's.
Like 2bims I don't like Pirelli profile , but it is all personal taste.
Apollo2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, 2bims and vort28 for your replies.

FNL is an airport code for Fort Collins (and Loveland), Colorado, USA. I like using it as my location because it reads like "Effin' 'ell."
The nearest dealer, the only one in the USA (afaik) is in Raleigh, North Carolina, about 1700 miles away. I doubt I'll ever visit them, but will likely mail-order parts and/or tools.

Thanks for the tire advice. I'll shop for Conti Attack or Michelin Pilot 3 and get whatever is the best deal in terms of price and availability. I'm leaning toward the Pilots because balancing is likely not to be an issue, both in my past experience and as posted here.

I am a competent mechanic, unafraid of exotic machines. I have the 3D manuals and understand how to support the bike and remove the wheels. I balance my own tires using a Marc Parnes Tire Balancer (pictured below) and a couple of jack stands. I'll cross the bridge how to make an adapter for the Tesi front wheel when/if I get to it.

BTW, I have no photos to post, yet, because I don't actually have the bike, yet.
However, here are a couple of links to videos I shot in Rimini in 2013.
Front view (with Monkey) https://youtu.be/eFkXnbedBLM
Rear view - https://youtu.be/K7t5ccedSxc
Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy the one from Iconic?
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
Did you buy the one from Iconic?

I think he must have...I havent seen any others for sale on those shores of 3D's for some time

Well...Apollo...you certainly seem competent ....that wheel jig wont work though.....as it wont block off the wheel from turning in the vertical/horizontal? Plane....the actual left/right turning of the wheel that is...In the Tesi3D exploded spare parts manuals it shows the pictures of the large round metal blocks the dealers are supposed to have to balance the front wheels...Someone in Oz with a tesi3D made his own up

Theres also a Bimota factory Tesi youtube video on removal and replacement of the front wheel...actually on the Tesi H2...but its the same....as the spindle is held in place with a pin placed by hydraulic press

I've ordered some Michelin Pilot 5's for mine and took the bike down to my tyre man for him to ponder.....he reckons he can do it on a normal bike stand wheel balancer rather than the electronic one which has to be slid onto the spindle of the machine and locked off....so...we shall see....evidently the new tyres come with a small red dot on one side of the tyre face and its recommended to put this where the tyre valve is to be as close as possible.....

Have you got all the manuals electronically? As I have uploaded the Spare Parts Manual, THe owners handbook and the tesi 3D Workshop Manual onto a Bimota specific Facebook page....I think also bimota have recently published them for free download on their own website also...yup....they are all still there....including the American versions

Congrats on the purchase...AND on publishing a picture on the Forum...if you managed that unaided it bodes well for you with Tesi ownership...and that of Bimota ownership also....Raleigh..>THats Bimota Spirit....run by Bob Steinbugler....a lovely fellow and very helpful....Bimota.it also now answer emails and will help with back order for bikes from 2005 onwards...something that they never used to do

https://bimota.it/download/?lang=en
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And....the next question should be....Can I change the cam belts with the engine in-situ...Omega plates on ....Apparently...Yes....but the next question is....how the heck do you get the horizontal cam belt cover off? Bolt removal fine...and then it seems to rattle around but not be able to be pulled out
Apollo2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
...that wheel jig wont work though...
As I said, I'll burn that bridge if/when I get to it.
Quote:
Theres also a Bimota factory Tesi youtube video on removal and replacement of the front wheel...actually on the Tesi H2...but its the same....
[...]
Have you got all the manuals electronically? As I have uploaded the Spare Parts Manual, THe owners handbook and the tesi 3D Workshop Manual onto a Bimota specific Facebook page....I think also bimota have recently published them for free download on their own website also...yup....they are all still there....including the American versions
How-To-Videos: https://bimota.it/garage/?lang=en
Two very interesting ones: "Front wheel disassembly" and "Front hub disassembly."
"Seat height adjustment" and "Footrest adjustment" made me laugh. (Yes, I realize these are unlikely to be applicable to the 3D.)
"Front cowling disassembly" (for H2) looks to be rather a PitA.
And https://bimota.it/download/?lang=en
Scroll down to DOWNLOAD PDF CATALOGUE for a pantload of Tesi-3D and DB5-DB10 manual pdfs of various sorts. The only difference I see between the "English" Tesi Owner's Manual and the USA version is about 12 pages of disclaimers and lawyer-inserted bullshit.
Quote:
I've ordered some Michelin Pilot 5's for mine... evidently the new tyres come with a small red dot on one side of the tyre face and its recommended to put this where the tyre valve is to be as close as possible.....
If you visit https://www.denniskirk.com/michelin/road-5-tire.pfp545379.prdf (that pRdf is NOT a typo) and scroll down to see the specifications, you will see that it says, "Balance Dot - No." I have no pesonal knowledge whether or not this is true.
Quote:
Congrats on the purchase...AND on publishing a picture on the Forum...if you managed that unaided it bodes well for you with Tesi ownership...and that of Bimota ownership also....Raleigh..>THats Bimota Spirit....run by Bob Steinbugler....a lovely fellow and very helpful....Bimota.it also now answer emails and will help with back order for bikes from 2005 onwards...something that they never used to do
Thank you and thanks for your help. I'm eagerly anticipating arrival of the bike before I start ordering the things I need immediately: tires, battery & belts. Sod's law indicates that if I get them before the bike arrives, something bad will happen. (It's not even on its way to me, yet.)

Spent way too much time researching tires yesterday and it looks like, if they are still available (currently on close-out), I will get a pair Bridgestone BT-016 which I quite liked on my D16RR. (Put 15,000+ miles on it and traded it after servicing it myself.) Next choice appears to be a set of Mich Pilot Power 2 CT from any one of three sources at similarly good prices. Failing availability of those, I have a spreadsheet to ponder for the next-best choice/price option.

I found a very good (though not excellently written) post on how to tension the belts without any special tools...
https://www.ducati.org/threads/see-how-to-set-the-belt-tension-with-no-tools.27172/#post-374222
OR, the place from which I will buy my belts suggests, Use "n-Track Tuner" from your phone's app store to check belt tension frequency.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Apollo....its looking like youre going to be a worthy asset to this Forum...knowledge...searching...putting links up etc......didnt even know there were websites telling you if theres a dot on the tyres...Michelin power sports 2CT are on some 4 or 5 of my bikes....Bims as well...but this would be the first time for me to try the pilot 5's...a good friend I have ridden with swears by them
Apollo2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Cheers Apollo....its looking like youre going to be a worthy asset to this Forum.
I WILL. I'm an engineer (retired). I got so frustrated answering the same questions over and over on another single-model forum that I wrote a FAQ which the administrator eventually absorbed into the main site. With a local member as cameraman, we made 3 DVDs worth of videos how to maintain and do other stuff on that bike that we gave away for the cost of shipping (back before posting hundreds of megs on the web for download was practical).
Quote:
Michelin power sports 2CT are on some 4 or 5 of my bikes....Bims as well...but this would be the first time for me to try the pilot 5's...a good friend I have ridden with swears by them
It's nice to hear that 2CTs will make a good choice. I've ridden on Pilot Road 2 or 3?. (It's been a while.) I liked those just fine. I'm interested to hear about the Pilot5s. Michelin has so many offerings it made me crazy yesterday. There are a bunch of videos on the SportbikeTrackgear.com and Revzilla.com sites that explain Michelin tires. Here are a couple.
On the Road 5... https://youtu.be/KvT1Kcgkwus
Pilot Power, Pilot 2CT (+) from 2012... https://youtu.be/fdrAMhMYm_0
(I couldn't find the video I was looking for just now and got tired of looking.)
Apollo2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
And....the next question should be....Can I change the cam belts with the engine in-situ...Omega plates on ....Apparently...Yes....but the next question is....how the heck do you get the horizontal cam belt cover off? Bolt removal fine...and then it seems to rattle around but not be able to be pulled out
It is quite simple. There is one spacer that fouls one of the "ears" on the cover preventing its removal. Simply remove the nut from the right side end of that bolt that connects the two side plates and withdraw the bolt to the left a few centimeters, enough to remove the spacer and then remove the belt cover, as they say, "Robert is your mother's brother." Reassemble in reverse order.[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: