Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

KB1 chassis numbers by year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daytona76

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: KB1 chassis numbers by year Reply with quote

Hello. Just joined and this is my first post. Can anybody provide info on KB1 chassis numbers by model year? I just purchased a Series 2 KB1. The previous owner purchased it with a Bill of Sale only, and then never registered or got a new title in his name. Apparently the title had been lost. Consequently, that's how I purchased it as well. I only received a Bill of Sale from the seller.

The seller I purchased it from stated that it's a 1978. However, my chassis number is in the mid 400s, which is more than half way through the total production run. Seems like it might be more like a 1980, but who knows.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on which chassis numbers were produced in which years.

Thanks in advance for any info provided.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum. I’m not all that familiar with the early Bimotas, but I know with the 90’s era Bimotas the frame numbers were NOT in chronological order. They seem to be all over the place with regard to build date.

Somebody will be able to shed more light on the subject for you though I’m sure
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daytona and welcome....mid 400's....evidently you wish to keep it private but look here if your bike is listed

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_kb_en.html

Most people listed on here dont inform the register holder when they sell their bike....and...as Brian says....sequential numbers could be 3 years apart....a Db2 one digit away from mine was first registered 4 years after mine...the thought is the metal frame plates were fully stamped up for the full intended run....and then thrown into a bucket and when they received an order to make a bike...they dipped into the bucket...pulled out a tag...and then stamped that on the headstock...without original owners documents/receipts its really impossible to tell....Also...if I had more clarity on your frame number...In America...the Americans liked to be able to buy "frame No 1"...and would pay extra....European frame numbers were 13 digits but didnt confiorm to USA....so special sequence was made up...AND...they would restart sometimes a series each year for America...making more than "One No. 1" ...I dont think this was the case with the original Tamburini bikes though...Only later DB2/3/4 SB6 etc... click on here and look... Also bear in mind some bimotas have been sat in some dealers shops for 3 or 4 or more years before ebing sold...and as such...first registration may be 5 years after date of manufacture...

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_kb_en.html
John KB1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona76, mine is the 439, it's a 1980, certainly June but not sure. You can't exactly know the date if you don't have the title. Not sure too the title is exact Very Happy .
You can find 200 frames made in a couple of weeks and then 10 frames made in 10 monthes.

I try to registry all the KB1, just for passion and love of this bike. I would be happy to know your number. May be our bike are so closed.

John
Andrew034

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on the KB1 (always wanted one though).

Looking at my copy of the Bimota Bible, it states that the Series II KB1 model was produced in 1980 and 1981. A total of 570 series II were made. Looking in the 30 or so KB1's of all versions in the book registry, the chassis numbers are all over the place and appear to have no specific order.

If you are sure the bike is a series II then we can limit it to 1980 or 1981. The engine details may provide a closer date (if you for example have a 1981 spec engine from Kawasaki - no I don;'t know what this may be). Alternatively the other parts may be able to provide a date as Bimota tended to use as many pre-existing parts as they could (look closely for identifications in the wiring loom and lights) - again I can't provide specifics.

Further if you can find the original market designation for the bike more may be revealed.

Accurately dating a bike based on specification can be difficult since some KB1's were sold as kits. Additionally, my Furano has an engine that is two years older than the bike, so clearly at that time Bimota bought in batches and used the parts as necessary.

Personally, I'd pick a year (1980 or 1981) and go to the registry since the bike may have also been unsold for many years after construction, so the date of first registration may be no guide either.

Good luck

Andrew...
Daytona76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone. My chassis number is 470. Unfortunately, it's not in the registry of KB1 owners. I sent an email to a couple of people in the registry who are within a few numbers of my bike. One of them responded stating that their Series 2 bike is a 1981. My engine is from a 77 KZ1000. The person I bought the bike from said it's a 1978, but it's sounding like Series 2 bikes weren't even a thing in 1978. I'm thinking mine is likely a 1981 as well. If anybody here has any knowledge of #470, or its previous owner, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> KB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: