Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB7/8 ExperiancesThoughts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAT3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: DB7/8 ExperiancesThoughts Reply with quote

Hi to all the DB7 & 8 owners on here, I'm new to the forum & have a question or two for you if you can spare the time.
One day, when/if I have the spare money I'd really like to buy either a 7 or an 8 & I'd like to know what you think of yours, what's it like to ride say compared to the engine's donor in terms of "comfort", what sort of use do you inflict on your bike, i.e. is it just on-show or do you use it alot, very seldom, etc. How has reliability been ?
I'm not bothered about passenger comfort on the 8's as my wife hates bikes anyway & wouldn't go on it no matter what, which suits me ! Very Happy
djt77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the 8, but i have had a standard 7 and subsequently the Oro 7.

I have used for everyday commuting which never been an issue, reliability wise I've never had any issues that haven't been self inflicted. I used it for touring, usually a three day ride over 1,500km and in full leather with appropriate padding not uncomfortable.

I've only had a little time on the 1098 but found that a more extreme riding position.
CAT3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply djt77, obviously not as radical a riding position as I first imagined.
I take it the standard DB7 & the Oro use different engines, I know the 8's are.
Thanks again. Hopefully one day !
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAT3 wrote:
Thank you for the reply djt77, obviously not as radical a riding position as I first imagined.

They are quite comfortable....once you've slackened off the overly stiff and harsh suspension front and rear to more suit UK roads....i.e. lumps and bumps and potholes and not silky ribbon smooth race tracks

DB7 or DB8.....some DB8's are monposto....and some biposto....DB7's all Monoposto....only difference between them really is the engine...DB8 was the 1198cc ducati engine and not the 108cc unit....mostly to get the same power but with more EU bureaucratic emissions malarcky imposed on emissions and noise...I doubt you'd notice any power difference on the road.....DB8's also tended to have plastic bodywork whereas all the DB7's were carbon fibre...even if painted.....apart from the tank thats always plastic......I have a review somewhere of the test an American mag did on the Troy Bayliss Ducati Rep 1098.....which actually had the 1198 engine....against a DB7.....they rated the DB7 better on all fronts....I also have a review of the DB7 Oro NEro.....and can email thru if you like.....DB7 more tuned to the more elderly gentleman re rideability and comfort....and the nose cone fairing has space to fit highcraft clip ons a few inches higher up than standard...Your choices though will be down to what you can find in a condition and at a price you like....as opposed to choosing between several..I owned a DB7 some 6 years ago....and the prices are higher now than then...as Bimota aint making any bikes with engines other than by Kawasaki no more....so theyve sort of reached classic status already
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAT3 wrote:

DB7 And DB7 Oro Nero used the same engine...1098cc

You'll be lucky to find an Oro NEro...theres still only one in the UK...and they only made 25....they made 271 DB7's from 2008 to 2013...

DB8's? 113 in total...of which 10 were the carbon framed and carbon swingarm Oro Nero versions.....DB8's weigh 3kgs more...heavier wheels and bodywork than the DB7...and a subframe to take passengers..>DB7 is self supporting cF seat unti with no subframe
CAT3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you 2bims, obviously in line with other Italian marks they like their suspension to be overly stiff. My '94 Ducati 750SS was the same, I'm going to get some Maxton fork cartridges for that to sort it out. I've already changed the rear unit some years ago.
Thank you also for the other information & I'd agree with you on the bike options, i.e. when I've got the money I'd already figured I'd be most likely be looking at the more popular "standard" DB7 rather than the Oro version. And it would be a case of looking at a bike if & when they ever come up as opposed to deciding between two or three, which to buy !!

I'd would be interested to read any reviews you have on the bikes, should I PM you my email address ?
rOLLI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Steve : Do you know, how many DB8 Italia have been build ?
Are they included in your mentionded 113 ?

kind regards roland
HP4, NineT Racer, R100GS, R80ST, R71
RD350
Daytona 675R
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rolli....included in the number...bimota didn't record numbers of coloured variants...
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle World back to back reviews

Troy Bayliss 1098 v DB7.....the Ducati was actually a 1198

https://www.cycleworld.com/2010/08/24/2009-bimota-db7-vs-2009-ducati-1098r-bayliss-comparison-test/
CAT3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much 2bims for the reading material, much appreciated.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAT3 wrote:
Thank you very much 2bims for the reading material, much appreciated.

email sent also
CAT3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emails received 2bims, thank you again.
vort28

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago when performance bike were doing track sports bike ratings were they took sports bikes with Michael Rutter around Donington , they took late DB8 . It had the later multistrada engine (lower power) and was only beat by the Pantyless S and the BMW S1000RR from memory. Rutter was mega impressed from memory.

IMHO the DB7/8 is a great bike. quite roomy and comfortable. Lighter than the Duc donor bike . Forged alloy wheels are extremely light ( like CF light !!) , and CF self supporting seat and fairing has no inner frames . Build quality is also good , but working on them is tight as they are VERY compact.

Out of all my bikes my DB7 is in the top few and has been my chosen ride for a few TT weeks.
OK Suspension is on the firm side but unlike some bikes the adjusters actually work so you should be able to find a setting that good for you.

As a guide I am 6ft , 85kg.
CAT3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
A few years ago when performance bike were doing track sports bike ratings were they took sports bikes with Michael Rutter around Donington , they took late DB8 . It had the later multistrada engine (lower power) and was only beat by the Pantyless S and the BMW S1000RR from memory. Rutter was mega impressed from memory.

IMHO the DB7/8 is a great bike. quite roomy and comfortable. Lighter than the Duc donor bike . Forged alloy wheels are extremely light ( like CF light !!) , and CF self supporting seat and fairing has no inner frames . Build quality is also good , but working on them is tight as they are VERY compact.

Out of all my bikes my DB7 is in the top few and has been my chosen ride for a few TT weeks.
OK Suspension is on the firm side but unlike some bikes the adjusters actually work so you should be able to find a setting that good for you.

As a guide I am 6ft , 85kg.

Thank you for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: