Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New to Bimota - Hello Forum!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucasJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: New to Bimota - Hello Forum! Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm afraid I've gone off the deep end again and entered the world of Bimota... Hit the ground running (but not starting yet) with an awesome Santa Monica exhaust burn victim. Exhaust melted the subframe but didn't do much damage beyond the rear end. I have structural parts but I intend on giving the bike a little cleanup and overhaul before getting too excited.

The idea behind this bike is have a good "Father/Son" build, and mostly to persuade my dad into coming to stay with us for extended periods of time (and of course to see the baby and 2 YO.. right?).

A bit about myself.. ~20 years of on/off riding. Have dipped into most disciplines other than trial riding. Now I have 2 awesome little daughters that take up ALL OF MY TIME but enjoy getting the 916 out to Mid-Ohio for a good day whenever possible. I joined the auto industry and watched most off my riding dreams crumble! Now I mostly do vehicle dynamic design and test work for large OEs.

Enough of that. Bimotas kick ass!
Excited to take this thing for a lap once it's all said and done.

Also building a '67 T120R in the basement.

Thank you guys for all the info that has been posted on here, I've lost plenty of sleep over this bike and learning about the quirks of ownership already.

Figured I'd say hello and upload a pic for show and tell. I'll add one here shortly.
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lucas3 and welcome to the forum

A few good knowledgeable folk on here and mainly all suffering (quietly or not) from this BIMOTA thing

Comes in many variants and known to mutate and expand

Sounds like a virus warning .....but really is just a Bimota symptom

Enjoy the ride

Regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, aggressive project!
There can't be more then a handful of Santa Monticas in North America.
LucasJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin, Thanks! - We'll see how this one manifests itself.. If I've learned from the past, I'll likely end up wrapping myself in wires and learning new curse words in Italian along the way. Luckily for me, this Italian lit itself on fire already, so hopefully it's satisfied with that lesson Wink

Jaguar - You're right, it's a pretty rare ride on this side, no doubt. If not for the engine being TL platform, I probably would've thought twice about it as an introduction to the brand. Wiring/injection is one pain but stuck without engine parts would be a deal-breaker!

I'm a sucker for engineering companies that can't stay profitable.. It means they put an unreasonable amount of performance into their work. If I were in charge of the vehicles my company developed... We would have Tacomas running around with LS1 engines and we'd likely be drained.

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes - I never did successfully upload any pictures but I'll try a bit harder later.

Have a good day!
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck Lucas.....the wiring on the Santas is all purple wires bus bar system.....no other colour exists...One UK SantaMonica owner was so worried...he bought a second Santa just in case he had issues with the first one....theres 3 Santas and one Gobert version in the UK alone....
brian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Lucas. Plenty of great info on here and lots of helpful owners. Good luck with the Santa, a lovely rare beast indeed. Member Vort28 might be able to help you with info on the Santa Monica.

Posting photo's is a bit of an art in itself on here Rolling Eyes . You need to upload them to a host website like imgur or flickr and and paste the direct link in your post.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FB group works well for pictures.
Unsure why this forum can not host its own images.
LucasJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the welcome, always great to have a good pool of info to pull from and people to get to know. I hope to return the favor as the project goes on. Have the manuals on order from bimotaclassic now so I can post those once I get them scanned at work, in case they haven't been. I did find the parts replacement file already. Thanks by the way

As for pics - Jaguar, you're right. I try to upload and the server won't let me for some reason. The image function in the response post isn't giving me much luck either, though I've only tried viewing with the Preview key. And Facebook? You young guys are too advanced for me... I'm afraid I've fallen right off the face of the earth.

2bims - I've always said that it's smart to have a friend with a truck around when rebuilding Italian bikes... Having a second as a backup? Now that's thinking ahead. I did notice that all of my wires are purple... no wonder they didn't bother many diagrams to the manual......
Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you need to use a host like photobucket or something to post pictures here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: