Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Newbie first post
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Newbie first post Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Looking forward to picking some brains on the forum, gaining impressions and advice.
I'm rather advanced in years, but still love my bikes. Mostly Italian, and mostly older, my most modern bike being a 2002 748. No Bimota, yet!
My little Saturno is going to be replaced with, hopefully, a DB4, and part of my reason for joining up was to do some homework.
I'm retired now, but don't think that gives me more time to work on or ride my bikes, anyone who is retired will tell you they have never been busier!.
So, for my first and perhaps most important question (for me) Comfort, or lack of it!. I'm sure there must be DB4 owners here who also have a 748/916, 996?. I realise it's a very subjective feeling, but how would the DB4 compare to my 748 for lack of comfort, my 748 not being in the GoldWing league for wrist strain as you know.
My other option would be to look for something rather different, a Mantra, which contrary to what would seem is popular opinion amongst many motorcyclists, I really like.
For the record, I'm 5,10' and about 75KG.
Thanks in advance folks.
Alan.
hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan -

I recall there being a Mantra for sale in Shetland last year, though I have no idea whether it sold or not. Might be worth keeping an eye out..

Regards,
Mike
Bison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I remember seeing that bike for sale, a red one, I also have no idea if it sold or not.
Alan.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan.....similar height myself....although personally I'm up on your weight.....The Db4 is "based" on the mantra and frame geometry is "based" on the Db2....but using oval aircraft grade avional tubing.....

That said....the DB4 couldnt be more different than the DB2.....its lower in the seat....lower at the back end for getting your leg over......seat is more comfortable and longer than DB2 (DB2 only came as a single seater)....DB4 can be a biposto also....

The clip ons arent as far forward and arent as low as on a DB2...and the footpegs arent as far back and arent as high up.....I'd say other than a DB3....the DB4 is one of the comfiest and least extreme riding positions of any bimota....yet is still sporty......THe DB3 handles just as welll by sharing the same geometry frame and swingarm and suspension and brakes......they arent identical though.....different clothes and postioniong of batteries etc and pegs and linkages vary

THeres scope on the DB4 also with the front nose cone to fit higher woodcraft clip ons if needed....likes of early DB2's and SB6 etc theres just no tolerance in the fairing design lock to lock to accomodate change in height or reach

Problem you'll have is in locating a DB4 in the UK for sale....I've seen only 2 for sale in 12 years.....so Overseas in Europe would be easier....defo a nice bike to ride...light and easy to manage...breaks up to modern standards as is the suspension....they probably only ever made around 100 DB4's as they went bump at the time and a lot were unfinished and sold at auction or broken for spares...No real issues with them....theres zero electronics on the DB4 carbie tricolors.....so nothing really to go wrong....tacho often doesnt work as it is electronic....but thats it...I cant comment on the DB4ie twin seat bikes as I've never owned one
DB1 860

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee 2Bims... you recon only 100 Db4's where ever made, is that including the ie ?
DB1 860

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went on the Bimota register, 454 DB3's and 264 DB4's built, but of coarse half of those could be parts now.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB1 860 wrote:
Just went on the Bimota register, 454 DB3's and 264 DB4's built, but of coarse half of those could be parts now.

Those were the intended numbers when the start began of the end of Bimota at the time....I know of one dealer who had over 40 spare DB4 frames from bikes that were never commenced.....the likes of "redbro" in New Zealand took up a challenge of completing quite a few DB4's.....different engine specs and colour schemes.....and Ive seen library pictures of shipping containers full of unfinished DB4's.....Seem to be more DB3's around.....including mk II's...but then the DB3 was by its number...prior to the DB4 being built
Bison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Just the info I was looking for, and hoping for too.
I like the idea of no electronics to speak of, carbs I can work on, and general simpleness, at least that's the idea!.
The first thing I look at when I'm checking out any bike is weight, so important.
There is a DB4 for sale in the UK, unfortunately I'll have to travel 400 miles to look at it though. It's very stock condition, which is another plus for me, also one for sale in the Netherlands I think.
Any more input and opinions gratefully received guys.
Thanks,
Alan.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me a link to the DB4 for sale in the UK via private message and I'll have a look at it for you
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Message replied back now bison
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the DB4 for sale at Lusso Veloce (ex North Leicester Motorcycles),
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope....and I hadnt realised that NLM had changed its name either
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice and stock.....and theres even the rear packing crate pop up stand

https://www.lussoveloce.com/vehicles/bimota-db4-carb
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When NLM closed down in Dec 2018 i think ( Stuart Mayhew retired), Chris took over the helm from his dad and renamed the place Lusso Veloce, they have updated the show room and have some tasty stuff in there. It was Chris and his mechanic who sorted my Battery/ fuel pump issue earlier this year.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Alan and welcome to the forum. 2bims has pretty much summed up the DB4, all I can say is that I love my DB4 for all the same reasons.... rare, light, nimble and very appealing on the eye. I don't own any Ducati's unfortunately so can't offer any comparison.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: