Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

What did you do....during the lock down?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: What did you do....during the lock down? Reply with quote

Start of another set of posts chronicling more changes to the DB9.

I had access to the workshop, even though it is 28 miles from home, but as some work was delayed....the machines lay idle.

IDLE HANDS....fiddle and I don't mean a funny shaped string thing stuck between your neck and shoulder.

RaceFit...did not want to, but finally agreed to, create a exhaust for the DB9
But the Dyno was out of bounds, so knowing this I got them to make long silencers....this was last year.

I planned the longest they would make in order that I could trim them down....RaceFit did not know this...as they don't want people messing with their work....it ended up looking very RC45ish

I don't have a Halford's welder set... BUT I have access to some pretty useful contacts.

So here it is...........step by step

[img]IMAG0207 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I got it home and booked the DYNO.....for a couple of different dates..

I started off with the OEM BIMOTA Race unit from Arrows unit as seen here.

[img]bimota visit 090 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr

But I disliked the line and length, so I had the end can lengthened by 150 mm to suit....The Dyno liked this as well ...this is my favourite!

[/img]IMG_0978 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[img]

I was really happy with this....but as time moved on, I needed to use this on the DB7-11VLX mule I was building ...so I fitted the RaceFit long system.

I had Racefit make the mounting system ...down from the actual parallel sections as I always knew that these would be re machined and cut.

[/img]IMAG0202 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[img]

Once on the DYNO...it was cut and fit the modified cans and try again.........until.

[/img]IMAG0876 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[img]

On the DYNO.

[img]DB9 before_after by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

This became probably the optimum length and best looking options.

[/img]IMAG0875 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[img]

Which resulted in the final choice........next up the paint style.

The painters were looking for work..........so I got them to colour match the Bimota paint and add some OEM white pearl....where I thought it would suit.

[/img]IMAG0878 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[img][/img]

Nothing major....just some infill and some details to the mudguard.

[img]IMAG0874 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

It just helps break up the very sharp beak of the bike.

[img]IMAG0873 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Here is the before and after.....BUT still with the longer exhaust....you can see the added white sections...all OEM Bimota Pearl White

[/img]IMAG0202 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[img]

Whereas ..the added section of white on the mudguard helps lengthen the front.....as does the front fairing inserts

[img]IMAG0881 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I realize that its not everyone's cup of tea.....but hey ho....but neither am I, but I like it and it's still very BIMOTA.

I will looking forward to taking it to Mont Dore, France ....for a Sept hillclimb....Covid permitting.

What did you do......it does not have to be as detailed....

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer.

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
brian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos and story Gavin.

We haven't been locked down like the majority of the planet and to be honest it hasn't really changed my life routine other than getting take away meals from the pub rather than eating in at the pub. Still working exactly the same and I very rarely go away or even into town.

So I can't really give any credit to the lockdown... but I have managed to get the DB2 Junior stripped, cleaned up and gone through over the last few months Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian.............I have really enjoyed your DB juior build and restore.

Also....I refuse to even acknowledge your garage or its size.....over here we would have two hiousing plots on that area!

I live on a Island on or in the river Thames....20 odd miles out of London.

Its under sea level twice a day....it has a massive sea wall...and still there's 45000 other people on this area 8.5 miles by 5.5miles.

Good things......the neighbours are good and Dr Feelgood came from here.....google Cigarettes and Alchohol

Regards

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer

brian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:

Its under sea level twice a day....it has a massive sea wall...and still there's 45000 other people on this area 8.5 miles by 5.5miles.

I love my space Gav! I have a 5 acre block which is mostly trees with a house and shed in the middle of it, can’t see my neighbours and my house can’t be seen from the road. I don’t think I could live on a normal house block now or put up with being crowded on every side by neighbours.

I haven’t quite finished the Junior rebuild yet but it’s pretty close, I’ve been busy doing other stuff but hopefully will get back onto it in the near future.

Keep up the good work on your projects mate. We appreciate the detailed updates in your posts 👍👍👍
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:
Brian.............I have really enjoyed your DB juior build and restore.

Also....I refuse to even acknowledge your garage or its size.....over here we would have two hiousing plots on that area!

Good things......the neighbours are good and Dr Feelgood came from here.....google Cigarettes and Alchohol

Regards

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer

Google "milk and alcohol".......fags and alcohol is the Glaswegian diet from birth//////...So I can understand your faux pas...I actually have this single from back in the day

https://www.google.com/search?q=milk+and+alcohol&oq=milk+and+alcohol&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l6.5149j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims....REALLY...I always thought it was cigarettes and alchohol

regards
Gavin

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:
2Bims....REALLY...I always thought it was cigarettes and alchohol

regards
Gavin

Perhaps it was...Maybe it was the first PC correct amendment of a song ...enforced by Eurocrats and softies.....alcohol they still say is OK...but fags.....nope...be it tobacco or person related
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cigarettes and Alcohol' is an Oasis song!
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to finish building a project bike - FZR400RR 3TJ slotting in a 600 race engine. Somebody saw it on Farcebook and asked if I could do their 3TJ SP. So I picked it up 18th May and went all through the bike which took 6 weeks total.

One of the exup cables was trapped between the engine and cam chain adjuster so oil had misted over the bike so there was a lot of cleaning. I serviced it, did the valves, put in a R6 shock, head race bearings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: