Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Afam sprockets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Afam sprockets Reply with quote

Further to the FUBAR sprocket on the DB2 I'm restoring I was looking at some photos and noticed the following.

This is the buggered sprocket which is a bimota OEM (AFAIK)

This on the other hand is a cush drive with an AFAM sprocket fitted.

Note how the inner ID is smaller but is 'notched' to fit the cush drive. Cant see any advantage in this. Anyone seem another like this?
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.....What you have there is a "post modded" Afam sprocket ground away to fit....A "bodge" as you may wish to call it....

Thats a Ducati ring pattern with big holes.....Got AFAM on DB2 with Oscams….and AFAM on DB4 with Dymags and anteras…..although they are 6 hole fixing.....
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Nope.....What you have there is a "post modded" Afam sprocket ground away to fit....A "bodge" as you may wish to call it....

Thats a Ducati ring pattern with big holes.....Got AFAM on DB2 with Oscams….and AFAM on DB4 with Dymags and anteras…..although they are 6 hole fixing.....

I will bow to your pattern recognition. A ‘Bodge’ seems to make sense but its very neatly done mind you. Someone must have had access to some good machining...defo not an angle grinder job
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look neatly done...I wouldn't worry about it....if it's the right number of teeth and not too worn...many hours with a mini dremel I suspect....been using mine today also...correcting so.wone else's 'bodge" on a bike..
Weed

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notching looks to eliminate the function of the cush drive though
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed wrote:
The notching looks to eliminate the function of the cush drive though

That is...….A very good point indeed Weed....very good spot.....Looks like you'll have to get your mini Dremel out Lambie and grind away some more so that the cush drive assembly has a chance to do its job.....

This is what I like about Forums....and why people should post stuff up...Many eyes are better than one....Share the knowledge and experience
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope....I've thought about it now.....on the Oscam wheels....all of this part is "fixed".....sprocket to cush drive "cover".....in this cover is the rubber cush drive rubbers and collats….that push onto studs inside the wheel hub itself......its kinda the opposite of normal systems....where the rubbers are in the hub....carry on Lambie....all good
brian

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:
2bims wrote:

I will bow to your pattern recognition. A ‘Bodge’ seems to make sense but its very neatly done mind you. Someone must have had access to some good machining...defo not an angle grinder job

If you zoom in on the image, the edges of the cutouts looks pretty rough, I’m guessing angle grinder
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had sprockets made by B&C express before. If they don't have the pattern you just have to tell them the inner dia , PCD and fixing amount/size , chain size and teeth number. Don't think they are any more expensive than a standard sprocket either from memory.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sprocket removed and its clear its a 'post production adjustment' (bodge).. but fairly neatly done. As stated above the sprocket is solid fixed to carrier in any case so this wouldnt effect cush operation. I have a new sprocket anyway so will keep this as a reserve. Thanks for the input guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: