Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

EICMA 2019......my part in the SHOW
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: EICMA 2019......my part in the SHOW Reply with quote

Okay, here is a story which I hoping the other half of the duo will add to with images and tales.
I am home with no access to video clips or images of our road trip to Milan 2019......I only have access to the iPad thingy

Bit of history.......having done the deal on the Bimota DB11 VLX, I had to agree to a non disclosure clause....all mentioned before and quite boring.

Cast on from the December 2018 through to the end of the disclosure agreement which was EICMA 2019

WE were sent passes and press passes to the pre and actual show event along with clearances to access all areas

So....a quick call to 2Bims....by the way there is no such thing as a quick call to 2 Bims...but after an hour or so had passed I managed to get my question over

Fancy going to EICMA?

Later that day I was sorting out tunnel crossings, accommodation and meeting places

More

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
brian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: EICMA 2019......my part in the SHOW Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:
So....a quick call to 2Bims....by the way there is no such thing as a quick call to 2 Bims...

Initially I thought he might have just enjoyed typing looooong messages, but after talking to 2bims in person (via messenger) I concur with your statement Laughing .

Not that it’s a bad thing... I enjoy our chats
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims came down from Manchester

As an email had arrived from MariaElena (Bimota) giving details on the show and the BIG SECRET....even she would not indicate anything

We were booked into the EICMA on the press day and returning the next day...public viewing in order to beat the queues.

Only on the actual arrival of our tickets passes and another message from The Man at VDue did we realise we would miss the unveiling of the big secret as it was planned for the opening Public day and NOT the Press Day

2Bims and myself sat round my dining room table and set about extending our visit and moving the hotels about to accommodate another night in Milan

Thehotel of choice .ie ..used many times before was Hotel Lorenzo...about 15 mms north of Milan ....they were used to us arriving late leaving early and drinking next door in the Restaurant.....the restaurant were used to me ordering pints of Glaswegain cocktail

A heady mix of Vodka (lots...about a third of a pint) added to Lemoncella, Apperol, Lime and a dash of tonic.

I say as dash as that is all you can fit in after the achohol is in the glass

It takes a bit of getting used to......but I am trying

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A road trip with 2Bims is like going on holiday with your NAN

Only instead of bags of toffees, sookie sweeties and toilets stops...lots of them...
it’s cans of pop, tunnocks wafer bars, March mallow and lots...I mean lots of stops for a fag.

Actually....it should be 2Fags as he cannot smoke just one...before we set off again.

So after a day driving and almost another we reach Hotel Lorenzo

On one of the previous visit...we left the hotel..a large Italian villa where one wing is set aside as hotel whilst the rest is still occupied by the family.

You walk out a side entrance build for servants and leave the large gated car section which swooped in an arc at the front of the premises.

There are a couple or three of these large villas in the little village and there is a Harley Bar a newsagent and a restaurant

Most of the village ends up in the restaurant and they sit eating talking and watching football....whilst being served by 3 very attractive emails...one of whom just misses the classification as a dwarf...but still lovely

Anyway after a nights drinking remember this is a previous visit and the van is in the villa car park.....we stumble back at closing time

We get to the villa only to realise that they have bricked up the side entrance and plastered over it.

Confused....we attempt the front gate into the car parking area.......THE VANS GONE"........shit.......panic...more shit

Then....we realise......we are at the wrong villa and our panic and shouting was all in vain

Two drunk idiots...both non Italians....that night the locals were glad the UK was leaving Europe

Hotel Lorenzo....a restful stop for travellers and fools alike....

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faced with daylight and a breakfast of baby food and 1 roll....you don’t go to the hotel for its breakfast

We ask at reception the best way to the show at EICMA

We give them the passes and check the address printed on the forms

Mistake number one

The address is in the middle of Milan infact in the finance district...I should know this but .......I am still a fool....in the company of another.

Someone once told me that even sensible people do stupid things on holiday...they are out of their normal environment

Anyway ......an hour later we are in Milan Central with Police and stuff and NO EICMA.....anywhere to be seen

We had infact arrived at the event organisers central office and admin centre.

Mistake Number two

Someone sensible looking gave us Milano Ferrari as a place to point the car.

One hour later or should I say 2 Fag stops and going on the ring road the wrong way later we reach......Milano Ferrari and find a carpark

2Bims has come to life after a heavy night of Glasgow cocktails and takes command

We will go in here...pointing to an underground car pack.....it is difficult but not impossible to take instructions from someone who dressed in the dark and cannot colour co ordinate kahki cut off combat trousers with a football top

But I give it a go

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We park the car and take the elevator to the top.......we are at the Sans Sero football stadium.

I look over and spot our company insurance providers.....something does not seem right

It’s not just the fact that 2Bims wants a souvenir shoulder bag to put his fags in or the fact nothing matches with clothes and in fact both of us look out of place

We are out of place......this is not it

Mistake number three

We see some Chinese or Japanese business tourists and convince each other...I lost the will to fight....that they know where the are going

Things take a turn for the worse as 2Bims recognises a building.....well a the roof of a building...and we follow the oriental business tourists and the roof

By this time we start mixing with well dressed types also walking in the same general direction

Italians are stylish....even in an anorak.....we are not in an anorak or stylish

2Bims dressed for a bike show and I dressed for a fight

We look up and marvel at the event centre and its roof

For some reason...I have no idea why...I shout Buonas Airres

It raises a few eyes....skywards

I was just glad to make it

Mistake number four

Last edited by Gavin944888 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims...now back on form decides to video our arrival......seriously!

We are ushered to the main reception area where security and fashion police man the desks.

We show them our passes ...the computer cannot scan my pass...or 2Bims...but his has coffee and fag ash on his...so I an not surprised or concerned ...yet.

Event security get us to complete another registration form whilst they search my company on their database thingie

2Bims promotes himself to Group Customers Service Director on the registrar list and off we go to the main reception hall.

We have just made it at 10 am after setting off at 7.00.......3 hours to do 15 Kms as the crow flys or 98 kms as we drive

2Bims wants a fag....no surprise there then...and we mix with all the suited and dressed young ladies.

2Bims looks for an excuse as to why we are so badly dressed...I look for some tools, in order that we can pretend we are maintenance workers.

Anyone need their pipes cleaned?

Inside the venue....smaller than I recall, we are given our lanyards and ask when the unveiling is planned.......12 noon....comes the answer

Inside we seek out some other badly dressed people ...and stand beside them

Out of the corner of our eye we see canopes being prepped and Exotic dishes being prepared

Please don’t drop any more food down your front...I plead with 2Bims.....un-noted

One of the officials is asking questions and tapping directly into the keypad in his hand

Which computer system are you currently using and what info structure?

He asks......well, I say...we here for Bimota unvielling

Blank faces .....nervous laughter......shuffling of Italian shoes on marble floors

2Bims trainers can only squeak......

we are in the wrong place again......we leave as the clock strikes 1 o’clock

Last edited by Gavin944888 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when you are climbing Everest....you kind of know which way to go....we didn’t

We pass Milano Ferrari again and then return on another 2 occasions....all on the same journey

Finally ....we see a sign......and head towards it like lemons

Finally....we are here....it closes at 4 pm and we finally arrive at 2.00

What’s more 2Bims and I suddenly look more at ease and accepted in our mutually scruffy environment

We fly through security and spent 2 hours looking at 2Bims take photographs of every attractive bike or was it the attractive models

We eventually see the Kawasaki stand and a blank stand covered in veils adjoining it..

This is obviously it....this is going to be the Bimota stand....look at the security

We try to sneak a peek......we try to coerce the security guys

The Japanese are having none of it....but we talk ....we joke ....2Bims takes photographs

The Japanese love my T Shirt and want to buy it......it is an OGRI T shirt with a picture of Kickstart the dog on it.......

2Bims finds a ledge and stands on it.....and gets the Japanese guy to take a photo......for the first time 2Bims standing on a step is the same height as me.

2Bims is happy......the Japanese guy loves Scotland and the humour

But the star is the veiled Bimota stand and the OGRI T shirt

Tomorrow ...the unveiling.....and now we know how to get here.

Let’s go back and find the bar.....anyone for a cocktail.....I need food and a drink

More to follow......and what is the big secret

Even the happy Japanese guy would not say....was it a new 2stroke BIMOTA after all Kawasaki had just unveiled their Fuel Injection 2 stroke crosser

We will see

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Last edited by Gavin944888 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
stockcar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like an attractive 'email' or two now and then,....... Laughing
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So bloody funny Gavin. Never trust 2bims without his sat-nav, he even uses it when he visits me and I'm only a 10 miles or so trip round the motorway from his place and he has been loads of times. Laughing Laughing
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ....over a beer or two we discuss. What can it be?

I am sure that it is rebirth of the 500 v twin 2 stroke, given all the engineering and emissions beating technical aspects of Kawasaki new crosser.

2Bims is less enthusiastic......then he receives a message from a Mr Morri
Requesting 2Bims to meet someone at the stand and that Mr Morri is very happy with the new bike

More intrigue......and drink follows guess follows food followed by more drink.

So....as we are meeting Bimota, I ask if we are dressing up....after all we are being introduced.

I decide on a shirt jacket and waistcoat....2Bims decides to press his combat trousers by placing them under the mattress

Guess that will be a No...then..2Bims.

Manchester......known the world over for Oasis. and shell suits

Just as the crowd in the bar are screaming at the TV football 2 Bims gets a ping

The guy from Bimota Classic Parts posts a story and image of the big surprise...

The Kawasaki Bimota H2 TESI

It kind of spoiled the night......it felt like Xmas as a child and waking up not to find presents, but your uncle in the room

Wide awake and disappointed..........cheers...BCP

Anyway, we left the bar , passed the villa without the side entrance and commented on how stupid we had been

2Bims meant trying to get in the wrong villa......I meant dreaming of a 2stroke

It also explained the non disclosure thing........Bimota were in negotiations with Kawasaki.

Kawasaki thought the Bimota Supercharger was ...crushed...no more....theirs would be the only Bimota supercharger.

The following day we planned to be at the show before one last night at Hotel Lorenzo

I think 2Bims can chip in with images......he does like a photo

Regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THats all pretty much as I remember it.....THat is what I can remember that is....Despite Telling Big Gav on each of our 3 road trips to Italy....that I "dont really drink anymore"....and havent for some 10 years or so....He still does like to come up with these strange cocktails served up in pint glasses.....and these are the aperitifs...and more than one each....after you've had the first beer or two and bottle of red wine a-piece....

I have to admit I was thoroughly conned and cheated on the Vodka Limencellos with "mostly Tonic water" in them....The only mostly "part" of the Tonic water shared between 2 pints.....was that it was mostly still contained in the One number Airplane miniature can after the drinks were already brimmed.....The one occasion I saw them being prepared.....With many large glugs from the "not quite a Dwarf" lovely lady serving the drinks each time we've been....after brimming the pint glasses....And dont foerget...they have the MEtric System in Italy....so these "Pint" glasses are actually 1/2 litre jugs......Which reminds of one the of the other bar ladies...anyway...I digress....back to the main theme....When lovely lady had brimmed the vessels of "What part of this "I dont drink anymore" do you just not get?"....The remains of the can came down with a resounding heavy clunk denoting its still almost fullness on the back of the counter....

I Have to admit some element of culpability here on my part.....The generous glugging of liberal spirits in the vessels is probably because upon exiting from each of our visits to this sound establishment....I always Tip Extremely Generously....and Gav gives his usual "Faw Fooks Sake....Ya canna leave that mooch …"...and then he throws in the same....and off we stagger.....No wonder we often get greeted well...and with wishes from them for our return....which we have....Its always good to tip....especially if service is exemplary ….and spirits poured copiously without measure....other than....it runneth over....

I ...and Gav do feel....that Not one other person in their tips at all....its kinda like a respite home for the homeless...to bring them in out of the cold...so they can watch football for free....Not one other lady than the staff reside or visit.....just blokes...because of course the ladyfolk are at home...cooking...cleaning....washing...Ah....Italy....Britain in the 50's and 60's.....Until they had that big bonfire of brassieres....Photos to follow 2mrw.....No faces....Been busy with manufacturing a Cat house and clmbing frame...poor cat is very confused...whats to know where all the hoomans have gone....and why no kids at the Bus stop twice a day....these were just 2 of her regular excursions out of the home...shes very social....She even asked me if I wanted the radio leaving on the other day...just before she went out...Again....

Does make me reflect a little...."Is this how the friggin poor critters in Zoos feel 21/7 365?"....I dont think I'll be going to a zoo ever again....
brian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Gav!! I felt like I was right amongst the chaos with you both. My wife read the story after I read it and got a chuckle out of it. She likened it to a story about the travels of ‘Laurel and Hardy’ Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Updates....and the Road Trip....and EICMA....
And these are the 3 lovely ladies that serve at El Dollaro Bar and restaurant with authentic wood fired clay oven pizzeria....et gellatto and of course Vino and Beero…..What more could A man want?

The Lovely Lady in the middles is the "cocktail" waiter and mixer.....she'll appear later as I had a cunning plan to "recreate" but add to this previously taken photo.....Gav refers to the lady in the middle as the little lady from "allo Allo"....I refer to her as "Barbara Good" from the good life aka Felicity Kendal......short and cute with an element of maturity.....she is in fact elevated way above the floor as when I asked for a picture to the 2 relative statuesque waitresses stood either side of her like Colosseum Roman Columns.....and she was peering up to each of them feeling somewhat dejected, left out, and diminutive.....So I asked them to lift her up.....I say them....Only the one on the right spoke English....So she translated to the other 2...and aloft to new heady heights she was launched...

Although Bog Gav speako No Italiano…...and lets face it..>English is still his second language....I would have hoped that his Glaswegian accent and lack of Italian...and hers of English....would have entailed just "pints of lager" and pointing at beer taps...but evidently....pointing at bottles behind bars and jesticulating how much and size of glass translates in any language...Oh Wo was I.

We've revisited here 4 times now...same bar....same Hotel...Same beds and rooms.....It seems like no one else stays there....same ladies in the Bar/restaurant....Same old men sat around being served upon...Hopefully the same is still true today and in the future.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why all the large bottles of liquer and spirits are on the top shelf way out of her reach is beyond me.....also how she gets them down to concoct Gavs poison brews also...I think they are there just for show....as all the other patrons just drink Italian lager....which is most delish.....That special "blonde" Italian Lager

Anyhow...Back to the road trip...general download of shots taken on route as we venture thru France....a rural idyll of flatlands....farmlands....grass and pretty much frig all else...no sign of animals be it sheep or cows...or even crops laid out for growing....

But///there are vineyards as we mossie on thru the Champagne region

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: