Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New DB6 owner, need to replace battery
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjtango

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both click. I haven't tried disconnecting the battery yet to see if the dash resets itself.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should reset.....if the odd "switching ON and Off doesnt do it

Pulling a fuse out may be easier to disconnect the clocks than disconnecting the battery...OR...….take off the 2 No. Teeny tiny Dome headed (mushroom) allen 4mm bolts that hold on the "screen" at the front of the clocks.....and then you have access to simply pull the plug on the clocks itself.....its one plug....
quikduk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: your stand options pjtango, I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcycle-Swingarm-Paddock-Kawasaki/dp/B0036QZ8VQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+stand&qid=1586720184&sr=8-2

The rear lifts up the stock spools, although I should coat the "V" with HD heat shrink tubing or tool grip rubber compound to prevent galling the spools.

The front rolls under the fork legs and cradles the bottom center as well as the rear of the for legs. When on the stand, it is very stable.

I might also weld the stands rather than the bolts and will add some more reinforcing with some side plates as they can flex a bit but they are fairly inexpensive and have worked well on a 1198, the DB6 and an SV650 so far.

When I had to replace the fork seals on the DB6 (and now the 1198), I suspended the top triple clamp (Yoke) from my ceiling with tie-down straps that bolted through a ceiling beam I made that was anchored between the ceiling/roof trusses.

For the axle, there are tools made for Ducatis that work but those are for 17, 19, 22 & 24mm only (leave it to Bimota to be different). The size of the hex (Allen) head is 14mm. Try this one as I am ordering it now.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-26497-2-Inch-Impact-Socket/dp/B002YKTYCE/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=14mm+hex+head+socket&qid=1586720728&sr=8-7
pjtango

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on the stands, I am going to get a set.
Between the Ducati's and the Guzzi I own, I have a really good quality 14mm hex head made for a 1/2 drive ratchet.
Pulling the connector from the dash worked, all good for now, the lights are out.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjtango wrote:
Thanks for the information on the stands, I am going to get a set.
Between the Ducati's and the Guzzi I own, I have a really good quality 14mm hex head made for a 1/2 drive ratchet.
Pulling the connector from the dash worked, all good for now, the lights are out.

And a lot easier than disconnecting the battery I guess?...Managed to reset it to the required MPH of KM/H?.....make sure the trip meter is On first...rather than the Temp display....and then press and hold both buttons at the same time and hold and hold....Until either EU or US comes up in the display....Or....select the Temp to be on in the display.....and then press and hold both buttons...I cant recall which has to be on nowadays....I dont have a bimota with that display....or rather I do....on my DB5 Borsalino...But...I've never ever even connected or installed the battery on that bike....More pictures here....

I do have the instructions for that display clock of youre interested....but I dont think it tells you how to do the "switch"....as its something normally only done at the factory...or by dealers....laughingly....Dealers...as if we should be so lucky....

More here of the above:-

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1814&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=435
pjtango

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed on multiple occasions get the dash to display 3 of the 4 lights when the ignition is off. Once it corrected itself after starting the engine, the second time, not. On the 3rd attempt, not only did the same vengeful 3 lights stay on when the ignition was off, I started the bike and the Tach didn't work. Unplugged unit, plugged back in and the dash is good and the Tach works. Pressing either button does nothing, together they are worse than a bad murder mystery. I would like to shit can the entire unit, but for now, I will be happy with kph. Has anybody replaced the stock dash, with say a motogadget unit? At the moment I am leaving the bike alone with no charger for about 48 hours to see if the bike has an electrical problem that is draining the battery. I am pretty sure I know what the problem is, but I want to see for myself. Cheers everybody.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy the bike from a dealer?....And if so which country do you live in?...In the UK by law you get a 3 month warranty on used bikes....

Dashes are known to have troubles....and yes....its the 2 buttons.....or the lights not coming on....

Does sound like a bad earth...which is actually a known issue for Ducatis with that engine....not bimotas.....Left hand side rear cylinder....front face down low....theres a steel bolt going into the alloy vertical cylinder...faces forward.....theres 4 or 5 earth tab wires going onto it.....steel bolt...into alloy...differing materials corrosion.....find the bolt...its visible without removing anything.....pull it...clean it and its tabs....electric grease it

People to replace the dash with a Koso RX2N unit.....which is much more reliable....and looks stock...because it became a stock item in the 1100cc Bimota DB5 and DB6......Just dont ask me how to wire it in...but..if you bought a New Koso unit it does come with full instruction.....They also make them with a white tacho like your original....just buy one with the right rev range....as theres 2 types......up to 20thou revs...and 10 thou...I like the white tacho version

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2386202.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xkoso+RX2n.TRS0&_nkw=koso+RX2n&_sacat=0
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK tango.....good news....recently informed by another on here with same bike...same clocks...and had I say HAD...same issues.....

SO...lets start again.....and this is a "supplement" that was slotted into the owners manual

Put key in ignition barrel...BUT....do not switch on.....Press and hold down both buttons firmly.....yes...I know.....keys in but bikes not on...trust me....THEN....with both buttons pressed and held down firmly.....with your other hand....turn the ignition ON.....after a few seconds of lights coming on on the dash....it should say either EU....on the lcd panel...for KM/H....OR....US....for MPH....if it shows default of EU and you want US....I dont know where you live....release both buttons and toggle the left adjust button...and US should show up....THEN......press only the left rest button for up to 5 seconds....or until OFF comes up on the display...>THEN.....release and switch off the key......Then...switch back on...AND...it should now be in MPH if thats what you want....the lights staying on even with key removed is because its still locked in "change" mode.....and the procedure hasn't been completed.....

Hope this works....bit of a faff because the 2 buttons are near to the key slot and its recessed....Say thanks to Mick of this does work and let us know....I could if you get this wrong photograph and upload that part of the manual
pjtango

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the U.S. 2bims, and I bought the bike from another seller. I have been talking to the dealer that originally owned the bike. I'm going to clean up the ground, but the electrical suspect is the Battery Tender lead which could have a short in it. The battery will not charge using it. As it is, the battery has held a charge for 48 hours.
So far, no luck with the dash yet, but I will keep trying, and Mick, thanks for the advice.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You havent fitted a lithium battery have you? Normal battery chargers wont go near them....ALso check the +tive and -tive leads on the battery tender are the right way around.....connections to the battery....and that the inline fuse is intact
pjtango

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a lithium battery. Connections are all good as was the fuse. It simply would not charge. It's not that big a deal to just hook the charger straight to the battery when it needs a charge. So it came off today. Wheels also came off today, so tomorrow some new tires get mounted. Oil filter and belts showed up so I have enough to keep busy for a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: