Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R Throttle Cable Options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: SB6R Throttle Cable Options Reply with quote

So I am having a bit of a problem.

My SB6R had sat for a number of years (What Bimota doesn't) and some moisture got into the "Pull" cable and damaged the internal wire.

I sent both cables to Venhill to get replicated. They claimed that they did not have a SKU to order, even though a couple of members here claim to have already sent them cables to replicate.

When the new cables arrived I saw that Venhill had cut up my original cables to steal parts. I has specifically asked them not to do this. They reused the 90* bends from the handlebars (and didnt install the dust boots correctly)

After installing the cables I found that no matter how I adjust things the "pull" cable is too tight, and the "push" cable is too long.

They have asked me to return everything so they can rework it. Unsure how they will do that now that the originals are destroyed.

Anyone have a source for replacement cables or other options?

Thanks for any help.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other bike I can think of will be a GSX-R1100W, but I'm not sure they'll be the right length
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might sound odd...or just plain stupid.....but if one is too long and one too short...can you swap them around?...Or do they have different nipples/ends on them?....I've bought Keihin Push Pull twin cable packs before...but for DB2 and not SB6....
Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have different threads on the bar side so I can not swap them.
Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cables were sent back to Venhil.

Still have not resolved the issue.

Anyone have any ideas?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - wait for the Venhill cables Laughing

I know they can be difficult to fit without them pinching
Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very low confidence that Venhil is going to be able to provide functional cables for me at this point.

The set they created does not fit, and they cut up my originals so no templet to try again with.

We are just guessing at this point as to what went wrong...
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: SB6R Throttle Cables Reply with quote

To be fair to Venhill the inner cable is particularly difficult to re-make, as they will assume that the old one will have stretched over the years and will be adjusting for that, as you will get very little life out of the new one, if the adjusters need to be fully threaded out to get the right free play at the grip. Provided the outers are the right length, it won't be difficult for Venhill to remake the inners shorter/longer according to how much extra cable you think you needed.

I believe that Mid-90s Fireblade cables had the same fittings to go into the switch housing. Might be worth getting a cheap used set and offering them up and going from there.
Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about trying to figure out what the bar controls are off of.
We know the carb side is a GSXR1100, I dont know what the controls cross reference too.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch gear is shared with some crap 90's Guzzi, found a matching setup browsing eBay a while ago, can't remember what Guzzi it was... The cruiser one maybe (California?)?
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems weird, not that anything Bimota do is normal.

I'm surprised that the throttle is not just a Suzuki GSXR1100 item. But I guess, by the mid '90s, Bimota didn't strip complete bikes, they probably just bought the bare engine from Suzuki and sourced the other items as necessary.
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it is any help to you, but I make my own cables. I'm lucky that an industrial cable manufacturer is a block away from me. I can source all the cables, sheathing, ferrules, adjusters etc from them, and can make a cable quicker than picking one up from the bike shop.

I need to make my own cables as my historic race bikes have all sorts of carb and quick action throttle changes, so there is no such thing as a standard cable. A normal soldering iron is all that is required.

I hate kinked and tatty old cables. Love the feel of a freshly made smooth pull cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: