Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB-2 half fairing mount

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: DB-2 half fairing mount Reply with quote

Hello,
I stumbled across this set of DB-2 bodywork and plan to use the half fairing on my bike. Can anyone provide me with exact dimensions of the bolts that attach the lower fairing to the engine block? Or would anyone have a set for sale?

[/list]

Minneapolis, MN USA

Bimota x2, BMW, Ducati and vintage Vespa
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randy...good score...You need 4 No. M6x25mm long low heads....plus the conical tapered alloy backing washers...rubber grommets that fit in the belly pan...and then some hollow alloy backing bushes....Have you got the Spare Parts Manual?..>THis gives a blow up on Tav 14A of the belly pan fitment and nicely tells you the size of bolts needed..."basse" is Italian for "low head" allen bolts that Bimota always use so they finish flush with the backing tapered alloy washers...the sorts of things they use on Old Skool Ducati 900SS/SL etc to secure body panels...if you dont have the Spare parts manual then pm me your email address and I'll send it over
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front fixings also show some kind of "distance spacers that seem to be threaded....like they screw into the engine...then the bushes screw onto them...then the bolt with a spacer mates up with the threaded Bush fitted to the bike....Best of luck...a great score..>Rarer than hens teeth finding the half fairing panels...AND belly pan...thats rarest of all
RandyK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the PDF file and although I understand how it mounts there are no measurements so I could duplicate them.

Thanks Steven!

Minneapolis, MN USA

2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I only know of one person personally who owns a genuine Half fairing DB2...and that he bought with no clothes attached...so he is missing the parts you have and the bolts and spacers needed...

You could try contacting this person in GErmany that is showing as owning a DB2 half fairing

DB2
Jürgen Schmidt
Germany
Hannover

If you click on his name here it should link you to his email....and click on the Camera icon and it shows his bike

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_db_en.html#db2

This person on there again in GErmany...also has a Half fairing and links

DB2
Bea Oldenburg Ficht
Germany
Lahr

Oops...I lied....I know this person...in the UK...he has a half fairing...DB2

DB2 half fairing
James Pickup
England
Derbyshire

Are you on Facebook at all?...It does reach a far greater audience and ownership of Bimota people than this Forum nowadays....
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Unfortunately I only know of one person personally who owns a genuine Half fairing DB2...and that he bought with no clothes attached...so he is missing the parts you have and the bolts and spacers needed"....

Aye, thats me....I Saw this post on FB first so have replied and PMd wht info I have. Will post some photos of the engine mounts for the lower fairing as soon as I can extract them from the bike. Typicall Bimota 'One offs'!!
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Randy, I like the combined workshop TV room lounge set up!! My wife isnt quite that understanding!!
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:
"Unfortunately I only know of one person personally who owns a genuine Half fairing DB2...and that he bought with no clothes attached...so he is missing the parts you have and the bolts and spacers needed"....

Aye, thats me....I Saw this post on FB first so have replied and PMd wht info I have. Will post some photos of the engine mounts for the lower fairing as soon as I can extract them from the bike. Typicall Bimota 'One offs'!!

Well actually....It wasn't you I was thinking of...theres a very nice man in Glossop that has a genuine from Factory Db2 Half fairing...met him at a show once.....and he still has the bike...
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the three mounting posts from my bike.
The longer two are the front fixings. they are 20mm diameter alloy bar (sitting on bike then Right L= 55mm, Left L= 75mm.) There is an M10 stud which protrudes 14mm. Being Bimota they didnt machine in one piece or put flats on the bar..NO the stud actually has and H4 Hex socket at the bar end for installation and then the bar is tightened onto the stud.!

The rear RHS is 25mm X 20mm diameter with an M10 thread directly onto the alloy (no inserted stud, why different from the front!)

The rear LHS I dont have and I believe it may take the place of one of the sidestand braket retaining bolts. I hope someone who actually has a half fairing model could provide a photo and dimnensions for that piece??

Last edited by welshlamb on Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
brian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They (bimota) certainly appear to have made some components a lot more complicated than they needed to be.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here is detail of the missing rear LHS spacer. As suspected it doubles up as a sidestand mount retaining bolt .The Bimota part is of course very pretty but if making yourself you could simplify the spacer body to a single diamter and just have two 'flats'machined to enable you to tighten (rather than the hex socket of the original)

RandyK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A BIG THANK you to my friend Reed. He made this bolt for me for the rear LHS spacer/fairing mount.

[img] https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/q627/RandyKallevig/0A48D561_6746_450E_9B55_C8173C445911.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds [/img]

Not sure if something has changed, but I'm unable to post the image, so above is a link...

Minneapolis, MN USA

welshlamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a clearer photo of the OE spacer/mount on my rebuild bike.

and this is the part itself

The main dimensions are
M8 thread 26mm long (incl 5mm undercut) (or M10? will check tomorrow and re-edit this post!)

The spool is 21mm long and 20mm diameter drilled and tapped M6 with a broached hex opening 6mm deep before the M6 thread starts.

The OE part is tapered into a 'cotton reel' which probably saves 3g in weight.

However if I was making one I would just machine a couple of flats to allow you to tighten it into the crankcase and then just drill and tap the central hole for the M6 fairing attachment capscrew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: