Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Weight loss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Weight loss Reply with quote

Food for thought as I look at potential DB2 rebuild/resto

Ducati Performance Magnesium inner Clutch Casing 969624aaa ( machined out sides and with titanium screws) Published Kit weight 1.060 kg, weight reduction 0.130 kg over standard (alloy) item. List price is about €800 but can be had for half that if yr lucky, maybe.

Clutch cover outer
Standard Steel 392g
Ducati Alloy 212g
aftermarket carbon 65g
(all weighed by myself)

Conclusion, weight loss/££ the outer cover although much smaller is the winner! ...just doesnt look as 'sexy' (I will edit some photos in but wanted to get the figures down before I lost them)

Also of course 1 weeks decent rider's diet looses about 3kg and costs nothing. (actually saves as no booze allowed!)...just saying
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight lose is always difficult £/KG.
Things like batteries/wheels etc can be quick gains and although not cheap a good set of alloy dymags will drop a good few kilo's instantly ( Carbon only 1kg or so lighter and another £1k in price.)

Antera = 16kg , Dymag 7 spoke alloy 8.5kg

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3913&highlight=wheel+weights

I thought you sold your DB2 ?
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
I thought you sold your DB2 ?

Yes, a bit of a knee jerk following being laid off. Regretted. ..however bits in hand to rebuild/resto another. Slow burn but making progress. The Bimota ‘virus’ is still infecting me!
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the standard clutch cover with rubber gasket is actually steel....hence the weight saving....Carbon fibre cam belt covers is another good way to go....as the "aftermarket" demand for later engine upgrades has died down for such bikes as the 900ss etc....prices have tumbled for CF cam belt covers...even for 1098 motors for DB7 say.....as suppliers are trying to clear stocks...the prices have halved for those items....as they are now concentrating on CF items for newer bikes...panigales, V4's etc.....Sprocket cover is another one.....Pressure plate also
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Ti axles, swing arm pivot, full bolt/fastener kits (primarily for un-sprung weight IMHO besides the axles like caliper to carrier bolts, triple clamp bolts, etc.).

I like 2bims thought on carbon fiber bits or everything, magnesium or carbon fiber wheels too. I like carbon wheels but I have a thing for that Carrozzeria gold forged stuff... Very Happy

https://www.coremoto.com/product_p/yamr12vsgd.htm?fbclid=IwAR21euCO58HAyw89lXFx3ouViKizutYWHUvxXc6pDCt-jf94OCjJOQbFF1o
quikduk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of this, what Ducati models do the DB6 wheels have in common as it is tough to look for stuff for the DB6 yet I can't believe that they are a custom size, spacing, etc.

Perhaps the similar year S2R1000 or Multistradas?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Ducati wheels on any Ducati I know....Cagiva Raptor though are the same.....never assume with Bimota...its the first rule
hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst considering clutch covers, try not to be tempted with open clutch covers - particularly when there is a steel clutch installed. I've rebuilt a number of machines that have suffered the unholy combination of the Scottish weather, an open clutch cover and steel clutch basket/plates - it's not pretty at all!

Mike
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Not Ducati wheels on any Ducati I know....Cagiva Raptor though are the same.....never assume with Bimota...its the first rule

Interesting...not that I can spend right now due to two in college and applications going out lately for transfer to other schools...but I am pinching pennies/dollars for those signals...
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're sat to one side....waiting...not going anywhere...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: