Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB6 admirer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: DB6 admirer Reply with quote

Having seen a Bimota DB6 on Sunday I'm tempted and would like a bit of information.

I believe it was 2bims that I met at the Monyash cafe? Thank you for telling me about the bike and even letting me sit on it!

I see from previous replies that the best place to look for one are the Italian and German sites mentioned? Is this still the best option? Also, do the prices vary quite a bit?

Secondly, what size of rider is the bike built for? Does it suit the shorter or taller rider? I'm six foot, would I fit on one? I have a Ducati Monster 796 at the moment and I just about fit on this.

Again thanks for being so helpful on Sunday.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you on the top of a very slippery slope !!!! Bimota ownership !!!!
I'm 6 ft and have/rode a DB6. Would say its a good fit/reasonably comfortable , but then I also ride other sports Bimota's so anything comfy compared to them.
Best place to buy ??? Can be anywhere TBH. Not that may in the UK so not that easy to find.
Europe , few around , price's vary . Depends what model/colour etc you are after.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdo Peter....yes indeed it twas I that you met.....at Monyash…..A quick comparison for you from Motorcycle Specs....

Bimota DB6 wet weight - 168Kgs Ducati MOnster 796 - 187Kgs
95Hp v 87HP
103N torque v 78 newtons
Wheelbase 56inch v 57.1 inch
seat height 32.2 v 31.5

Its the torque thats the big difference together with 20kilos lighter and a shorter wheelbase...its defo a bigger bike in physical presence than a monster 796.....and more suited to a 6 footer than my 5ft 9...I wish....

Tis a brave man that goes the Bimota route or a foolish man...never quite decided on that....its the rarity....of maybe 3-400 only ever made as opposed to 10,000 or some such....NO UK dealers...No dealers at all anywhere and no current production or spares availability...save for the Ducati engine part.

Prices are all over the shop...not helped by brexit £ crashing everywhere....some people hope to recoup their money of intitial purchase...a DB6R was over £20,000 in 2008....whilst a 796 was £8K???....and then theres the purchase...find one...get the seller to communicate with a foreigner in a foreign country....Buy blind and send wads of cash to a foreign bank with no chance of recovery...and hope when your bike courier turns up the bike is actually there...or indeed the house?...

Regsitration is straight forward at least as most are over 10 years old so its a simple MOT and V5 application...headlights are euro spec E13 flat beam so UK complaint...clocks are electronic and can be switched from kmh to mph via pushing buttons

essentially 4 types of DB6 available...early wet and dry clutch DB6 with Pegasus ECU and white round tacho 1000cc engines...or later 1100 twin spark engines and evo 1100 engines with dry or wet clutch and koso bimota branded electronic clocks....the later model the better....

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ducati/ducati_monster_796%2014.htm

click on the MCN youtube link in here and see if you can stop yourself from searching for one....although a physically appearing bigger bike...you sit in the bike and not on it....and its narrower and lighter and faster and shorter than a monster 796....

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bimota/bimota_db6r_delirio%2008.htm

Theres 6 delirios on this website

https://www.moto.it/moto-usate/bimota

and 2 on here....the "Azzurro" meaning blue, model...is one of 23 made in that colour scheme...given to each italian footballer to celebrate their team winning some football world cup or somesuch (I dont do football)

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=3400&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=db6&maxPowerAsArray=KW&minPowerAsArray=KW&scopeId=MB

And just remember..Audaces fortuna iuvat (latin)……..fortune favours the brave....

Fear is the biggest detterant of our lives.... Many of the big things in the world end up in the grave because we fear the consequence

or......

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. ( Foolish people are often reckless, attempting feats that the wise avoid. This saying is from “An Essay on Criticism,” by Alexander Pope.)

BOTH....are equally applicable to Bimota ownership
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
And just remember..Audaces fortuna iuvat (latin)……..fortune favours the brave....

Fear is the biggest detterant of our lives.... Many of the big things in the world end up in the grave because we fear the consequence

or......

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. ( Foolish people are often reckless, attempting feats that the wise avoid. This saying is from “An Essay on Criticism,” by Alexander Pope.)

These quotes exactly describe the desire to and eventual ownership of any Bimota or Ducati motorcycle...lol

Peter, welcome to the forum. I am 6'-0"-ish tall and I ride a 2007 DB6 Delirio. I am about average in...er...width and the seating is "snug" but not uncomfortable. You end up filling up every 240-320 kilometers or so due to the smallish tank and heaviness of throttle hand...

Look at the links provided above and you are sure to find one that suits you. Mine was used from a friend with 6,437 kilometers on the clock, has the Zard carbon/SS silencers and has a few nice carbon bits and cost me around 8,450 GBP which from some adds across the pond appears to be a deal.

I have always had a thing for the Ducati twins so even though friends said to look, touch and ride the bike but don't buy it to "get the Bimota urge out of my system", I fell hard for the design and engineering involved. I ride mine rather than display it so I expect to have the normal and semi-frequent Ducati twin maintenance. Most of the Bimota stuff is well designed. Some of it requires child-sized hands with brute strength but that's small Italian company engineering for you. Don't let it disuade you as for every 10,000 of the "other bikes" out there, there are but a few Bimotas running around at the normal MC events and ride areas and they always garner a crowd and conversations.

Good Luck.
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quikduk wrote:
2bims wrote:

Fear is the biggest deterrent of our lives.... Many of the big things in the world end up in the grave because we fear the consequence

or......

These quotes exactly describe the desire to and eventual ownership of any Bimota or Ducati motorcycle...lol

Peter, welcome to the forum. I am 6'-0"-ish tall and I ride a 2007 DB6 Delirio. I am about average in...er...width and the seating is "snug" but not uncomfortable. You end up filling up every 240-320 kilometers or so due to the smallish tank and heaviness of throttle hand...

Look at the links provided above and you are sure to find one that suits you. Mine was used from a friend with 6,437 kilometers on the clock, has the Zard carbon/SS silencers and has a few nice carbon bits and cost me around 8,450 GBP which from some adds across the pond appears to be a deal.

I have always had a thing for the Ducati twins so even though friends said to look, touch and ride the bike but don't buy it to "get the Bimota urge out of my system", I fell hard for the design and engineering involved. I ride mine rather than display it so I expect to have the normal and semi-frequent Ducati twin maintenance. Most of the Bimota stuff is well designed. Some of it requires child-sized hands with brute strength but that's small Italian company engineering for you. Don't let it disuade you as for every 10,000 of the "other bikes" out there, there are but a few Bimotas running around at the normal MC events and ride areas and they always garner a crowd and conversations.

Good Luck.
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one:

https://www.moto.it/moto-usate/bimota/db6-delirio/db6-e-delirio-2006-15/7338292

...appears to have between 3,500-5,000 GBP of accessories installed from what I can tell in the pictures so the price of 10,900 GBP is a great value and it is one of the later models too. It appears to include a Winbers shock and Matris fork cartridges and steering damper, all of which are on my list to do.

This one:

https://www.moto.it/moto-usate/bimota/db6-delirio/db6-e-delirio-2006-15/7278816

...is similar to mine except I have a 2007 1,000cc (this indicates it is an 1,100 but I thought those came out in 2008), more carbon bits, an open Bimota clutch cover, different levers, etc.

This one:

https://www.moto.it/moto-usate/bimota/db6-delirio/db6-e-delirio-2006-15/7623738

...well lets just say that this does not have well executed nor tasteful upgrades and has now possibly put me off from painting my wheels in a matching red. They don't match correctly and the whole bike needs a good wash and detail as these pics imply it has been "beaten", "ridden hard and put away wet", and/or "hammered" (all combine to mean "knackered" I think).
PeterR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all your replies and the time you spent doing a bit of research for me. I'll keep my eyes on the links you provided to get an idea of the market.

Regards
Peter
Jaguar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on the actual production numbers of these?

One guy selling one in the USA said only 50 ever made?
That didnt sound right, nor his $15kusd asking price.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get the numbers Jaguar......Once PaulDB2 kicks in...as production numbers are listed in the Bimota Bible MkII…….Certainly 50 is WAY off.....maybe 50 to USA?.....essentially they made 3 or 4 different versions of the DB6...with maybe 10 different colour schemes

DB6 with 1000cc DS motor and white round tacho
Same with 1100cc DS motor but Koso Clocks
DB6R with 1100cc DS motor, Koso clocks but some goodies thrown in, more carbon, steering damper, lightweight wheels
DB6 Azzurra….which was a 1000cc version in blue (azzurra) and gold wheels...and tricolor line down the bodywork....28 produced...one for each member of the Italian football team when they won the world cup (this was just a paint change though....no added special bits)
DB6 Italia...Ohlins front and rear, White, Black frame.....tricolor stripe...only ever seen one
DB6 Carbon....Carbon tube rear swingarm...carbon fibre front forks and yokes all moulded into one unit...Lush 1 of 1
DB6 Borsalino...in Caramac brown/beige/camo...and Green - 1 of 1

$15K USD...all depends....they were $30K USD for a DB6R 10 years ago...depends in mileage, condition, extras etc etc,,,I think Bob Steinbugler still has some new ones for sale for way more than that

Yup...Bob has a New DB6 and DB6R....$20K and $26K.....welcome to the worlds slowest loading website

https://www.bimotaspirit.com/for-sale

New...But they are 11 and 12 years old

DB6 Carbon

https://motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bimota/bimota_db6_superlight.htm
Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motounion.net/Pre-owned-Inventory-2008-Bimota-Motorcycle-Scooter-DB6R-7183617?ref=list

I had thought about "upgrading" my Ducati S4 daily rider.
But for that kinda money Ill pass for now.
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB6 Production numbers (source - Livolsi book)

DB6 1000 199
DB6 1100 238
DB6 1100 Borsalino 1
DB6 1100 Evo 20
DB6R 1100 80
DB6R 1100 Evo 29
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(double)

Last edited by 2bims on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
https://www.motounion.net/Pre-owned-Inventory-2008-Bimota-Motorcycle-Scooter-DB6R-7183617?ref=list

I had thought about "upgrading" my Ducati S4 daily rider.
But for that kinda money Ill pass for now.

Well....each to their own.....That is a genuine "R" model...and they only made 80 of them...and Bimota shipped to over 60 countries in the World...so chances are you'll never turn up anywhere on one and there be another one already there....

The "R"'s have the R on the tank under the Deliro word....the bespoke extreme tec steering damper built into the handlebar clamps.....More carbon instead of glass fibre.....front mudguard, Clock display....side spats under tank, triangular infills...cam belt covers and rear numberplate holder...all in carbon...all came with carbon chainguard and rear "hugger"...this also has the Bimota Branded STM slipper clutch and bespoke carbon logo'd vented clutch cover.....and the magnesium engine casings....Marvic lightweight forged rims...and the bimota stamped rear brembo caliper....made by Brembo for Bimota...this bike also has the $1,000 extra cost Zard squishy end cans in carbon.....it has a "mid-level" ExtremeTec rear shock....they fitted 3 levels....and it has the upgraded Brembo radial masters as fitted to the R...instead of the black coffin pot brembo masters....Not sure on mileage but that is a snip of a price...that bike was over $30,000 USD when new.....If you were getting an R...thats the best one to get...strangely its not got the usual bespoke mickey mouse ear indicators fitted as from standard....Hhmmm...low mileage...needs a service by the looks of the black clutch res pot fluids
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As 2bims says , appears to be a pukka DB6R , but plenty of fakes out there and all of the bits can be bought plus bimota have a habit of changing spec's .
If you are paying for an 'R' version it should have all the goodies or equivalent bits ( wheels did change on 'R's) plus the frames are stamped up with 2x R in the frame number. All the DB's have one R in the frame number, this is for Rimini not R version. A common mistake.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
As 2bims says , appears to be a pukka DB6R , but plenty of fakes out there and all of the bits can be bought plus bimota have a habit of changing spec's .
If you are paying for an 'R' version it should have all the goodies or equivalent bits ( wheels did change on 'R's) plus the frames are stamped up with 2x R in the frame number. All the DB's have one R in the frame number, this is for Rimini not R version. A common mistake.

Except...……………..For this DB6R in America..as in the post....Frame No. 000000008...doesnt have an R in the frame number...which is visible...but has the R for Rimini...But...it is a USA model and they chose to put a sticker on the LHS of the steering stem rather than stamp up the RHS as normal..Typical Bimota..always moving the goalposts or changing what is their "norm"...TBF though...USA has a different set and sequence for chassis numbers than Europe...and each year also they can start from Frame 00001 again...as the Americans can play and pay a lot to think they have the "first" of a production run...albeit the first of that year....and only in America....whereas there are a possible 207 other countries (at time of going to print) that could also have frame number 0000001
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: