Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB10 shock
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My long-running YB10 rear shock story has got rather frustrating...

After (too) much deliberation and research I decided to get a Wilbers replacement for the original tired Marzocchi - based on my experience with Wilbers on other bikes and (hopefully) ease of supply.

Now as I noted earlier in the thread, Wilbers only list YB4/6/8 on their website, but my enquiries led me to believe that the 10 had the same (or very similar) setup and therefore anything made to fit an 8 should be fine...

Sadly no - after speccing up and waiting for the shock and then lining up fitting/setting up, it was clear that the spring diameter was significantly bigger than the original and therefore fouls the swingarm Crying or Very sad

The UK suppliers (Revs Suspension) have been helpful, but the underlying reason is unclear. Is the 10 really significantly different to the 8, or is there a problem with the spec of the shock?

So I'm back where I started:
1. Rebuilding the original seems difficult due to lack of parts
2. Can't seem to source an Ohlins even if I wanted to pay the price
3. I guess I'm going to have to go down the bespoke route with someone like Nitron or Maxton?

Oh and Revs Suspension have a nice unused Wilbers sitting there if you've got a YB6,6 or 8 in need !

Cheers
David
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: YB10 shock Reply with quote

Wilbers need to be told by your supplier that you require their small body shock, which will doubtless fit. I bought a Wilbers for my 6r and the first one that turned up was too big, i.e. not for a 6r. My supplier put me in touch with Wilbers and eventually I got exactly what I wanted and I’m very pleased with it. The smaller body does not seem to compromise damping.

Maxton built me one for my YB8 years ago and will probably have the dimensions on record. There’s not a lot of clearance between the spring & the swing arm.

On another subject, I have been on what seems like an endless odyssey trying to get my YB8 to fuel properly - the more direct induction on the YB means that the FZR set-up which Bimota pushed out the door does not work at all - way too rich on the needle. Have you done anything with yours to try and improve it?
daward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I need to do some more homework...

As far as getting it to run well - it was pretty poor when I picked it up 3 years ago, but a carb overhaul and set-up at Steve Jordan's in Surrey got it running very smoothly (in conjunction with me gutting the silencer a bit and opening out the airbox/fitting a K & N). The carbs were kept as standard. No problems since...
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to rub any salt onto the wounds but Ohlins worked out great but it did take 2 tries. Installed new shock the first time and after riding for the first time I noticed it leaked. Frustrating as it was to undo all the good work already performed I removed the new shock and sent it back to the Ohlins supplier. In his favor he got it exchanged or repaired, not sure which but the Ohlins is back on the bike. I plan to take it out this weekend, hoping that 2nd time is the charm…
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: