Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

V Due engine (full fat on carbs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.......I will make a thicker one

Any idea how thick?

Much appreciated and thanks again to the Men down under

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
trev45

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Gavin , I went and checked my notes for the bikes

check my last post

Cheers Trev
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev 45

many thanks, so that's 40 thou in protestant and 1mm in the metricy devil stuff.

Guess there's no machining, but I plan to use some tooling 40thou shims and make something roundish...without slicing my fingers on shim..Ho hum

The bike is running, sounds like a 1980's pitlane and ear defenders are a must...How did these things pass any tests ...very crisp but only at a standstill.

The fuel tank needs 2 more welds (M6 bosses for the body-work to screw into) before final treatment of tank sealler and pressure tested.

GRP body work now being filled with BONDO as you guys call it ....prior to going to a mould maker to pull some new panels off in GRP or Kevlar or C/fibre.

It all depends on 'Kelvin the Matt' who by the way, still makes prototype bodywork from the clay model supplied...for Cagiva/MV Agusta....on the shores of the River Blackwell in Essex.

He also is responsible for the Cagiva version of the Mini Moke and worked on the Cagiva MotoGP bikes bodywork....I think he's just short of 80 and still has a DA haircut from the Rock'n'Roll era

The man's a star but thinks I'm mad....thank the lordy for British eccentricity

regards

Gavin
The Scottish engineer

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...............Friday afternoon and time for an update.

Been a bit of an exciting time...more soon....but lets stick with the Cagiva Bimota V Due thingy.

The electric water pump switch thingy from Germany arrived and Rupert completed the wiring, everything is now in its final resting place, except the dash and the headlights....brackets have to be formed for both.

The wiring loom.............it all works and needs installing by small handed folk from the Fens.

[img]loom built by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

These folk from the Fens...(marsh plains in the East of England) have sited the ECU up on top to cool and keep dry...as opposed to under the tray, where it was before.

All the wiring is utilizing quick connectors allowing each component to be removed individually.

[img]01 tail by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The same however cannot be said for the head light cowl area ..........it is busier than a 3 for 1 bar in Manchester and just as cramped, thankfully no shell suits were used in any of this build.

[img]00 inside headlight by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

Once the dash was released from its travel brackets/stays, I could set about spacing things out to suit the gap once the ally strap was out the way.

It reminded me of when you used to buy a record player and there were transit bolts to hold everything down........'whats a record player' said the cider smelling youth in the corner, as he planned his next 'Love bite victim'

[img]IMG_0131 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img

Side view.... now that the rear panels fitted and the rear section of the seat cleared all electrics and the power valve.

[img]IMG_0132 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

There will be a transitional section of GRP ....matching the seat to the existing rear section and front to the tank section.

An oil tank will be fabricated to house the 2 stroke but other than that....it is physically as it will be....minus pipework.

The Ducati OEM rear shock is still in place and will be replaced when the Stainless Suspension actuation rod is made....no point going in there twice....the wisdom of an old engineer

[img]IMG_0130 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The fuel pump lives in the fresh air and will be mounted on the old oil pump location on a special bracket. The new coolant pipes will follow the fairing lines but a pipe support will be on the old water pump cover.

[img]IMG_0129 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The old CAGIVA SUPERCITY body work has had moulds taken from it.... to allow new panels in GRP to be made then they can be cut/shut/extended and glassed to suit.

[img]IMG_0127 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

It looks all makeshift, because it is......Tony the Paint will be visiting to make the bridge between both parts of the fairing and smoothing it all out prior to final moulds being made by Kelvin the Matt.

Tony the Paint normally bridges gaps in extended wheel wings and stuff on the custom car scene and is well used to bridging and smoothing...

He is planned to carry this out before Xmas.....by then all the mechanics and other brackets should have been completed.

More soon.

Thank you, Forum....for helping out when I get stuck....like on the neutral switch issue

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Gavin, great stuff as usual, can't wait to see the finished article
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....another Friday afternoon update during Lockdown2!

All the machining work and fabrication with the exception of headlight brackets and dash panel are now complete.

The last of the fiddly bits are done and have been anodized.

Today is Friday....by Tuesday next week it will be done waiting seat moulding and body panels.....both of these ore outside my comfort zone.

I will be moving the bike on week commencing 20th Dec for Tony the Paint to start the final finishing stage.

I have spoken to PARKER FABRICATIONS the tank fabricators and explained that we have butchered and violated their thing of beauty........the stretched Custom Tank.

Requesting which tank sealer to use....they stipulated NONE....paint it with a special compound over each weld....we'll supply the compound and fill it with Paraffin....any leaks, the paraffin turns the BLUE paint Black and then just re-weld the leaky joint.

We await the blue paint compound........from Bournemouth.

[img]IMG_0137 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The tank with many cuts, shuts and fixing bosses added.

Very little of the original shape stays intact after the suspension rocker arm and shock were fitted....we are going to need a lot of blue paint.

You can just see the over long top bolt to mark out clearance and room for getting the tank on and off.

[img]IMG_0149 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

Next the stainless steel actuation arm was heated and bent after being machined to lenght.

[img]IMG_0148 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The arm allowed the final fitting of the new BM Suspension shock and the remotes were stretched out and their positioning planned.

[img]IMG_0146 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

Then, the CNC machined engine covers could be added. The OIL pump cover was replaced and a fuel pump location was machined into it and it also allowed the pump housing to be blanked off using the original M5 holes.

[img]IMG_0144 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG_0145 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The machined parts were anodized before final fitting.

[img]IMG_0150 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG_0151 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG_0154 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG_0153 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The finished article with the fuel pump loosely fitted...a bit of anti-vibration foam and a better cable tie will finish the job off.

[img]IMG_0129 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG_0155 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The other thing in the anodizers image is the choke lever mount.

Guido supplied a '5 STAR' choke lever....Japanese ....I think...and it needed something to finish it off......rather than bolted to the Yokes!

So, I drew something and it was machined and fitted....it will go here.

[img]IMG_0128 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

Not the best of shots but .....and it looks better in the flesh.

[img]IMG_0159 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG_0157 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

So....there we are............just about at the end of my input.

Apart for designs and some additional ideas.... my work is finished.....the bodywork GRP work and painting are all to be done by folk, who make a living at those things.

I have already penned the oil tank and the materials are here but that is non essential as the bike runs on premix..........my work on this project is concluding.

I have about 40 images left on my Flickr account and I am thinking of filling that quota with images of the bike in metalflake SIlVER and RED.

More after the Xmas period............a thank you all will go out on the final chapter.......it has been a joy.

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

TVRRICH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good Gavin, thanks for all the updates over the past months, really interesting project. Cant wait to see the finished painted bike, maybe a vid of it running in the future ?
brian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these updates Gav! beautiful photo's and detailed commentary.... thankyou.

I recon the metallic silver and red will look fantastic.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Matty82

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep this has been mega to see all the different design and build ideas becoming a reality. Hats off to ya pal, thats a LOT of effort right there. I expect riding it will be just as interesting and fun as the building of it

Last edited by Matty82 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayyyhay..........some folk are back from COVID lockdown...not everyone...but some.

This means the bodywork can be filled and prepped for the mould makers who make the final fished panels prior to painting.

PaintSupremacy....my sprayer of choice after Tony the Paint decided to stop doing private work and only work on his 7.00-5.00 shifts.

Paint is booked in for May and if the world does NOT stop or I die....its something to aim for.

The bike gets wrapped in dust sheets and readied for the grp/bondo mix.

[img]IMG_0216 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The tank has been leak tested....hence all the blue paint and paraffin sploshed about I now smell like a caravan heater in winter.

The paraffin finds the cracks and makes the paint change colour.

I had to make some mild steel corner sections for the GRP to adhere to.....you can see they are bolted to the tank.

The body guys will cut the OEM fairing and stick it to the extended corner sections, filling and blending as only body builders can.

[img]IMG_0215 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

Here is a final shot and you should see the lines I am making and hoping to re create.

The bottom section of the fairing will join a larger triangular section and cover the bottom area of the tank.

[img]IMG_0214 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

Back with more soon now that the UK is getting primed to leave lockdown.

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We march on......it is APRIL just after the resurrection of Gentle Jesus and there is movement in the garage.

Tony the Paint was meant to glass fibre and make panels for the moulds but work commitments killed that idea.

A meeting with our truck repair guys gave them something different to do rather than repairing our HGV vehicles or our Merc Sprinters which looked as if they had competed in the Dakar Rallye.

You last witnessed the body work with gaps, all where the panels should be.......well............ get a load of this.

[img]IMG_0007 (1) by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

They stretched and glass filled accordingly....after deciding to have 2 sections on each side.....making manufacture and repair easier.

[img]IMG_0008 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

Like artists in Bondo.......they filled and spaced.

[img]IMG_0003 (1) by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

Paul and Joe................GB FINISHERS ...Canvey Island..... Essex SS8

[img]IMG_0005 (1) by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The seat was positioned and final touches to the sight lines were altered to suit! I really like the curve line from the red fairing section onto the new panel beneath.

[img]IMG_0009 by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

Stopper was applied as a top coat and rubbed back before a mist of primer to help Kelvin the Moulder.

The bike will delivered tomorrow ....where the Moulds will be taken for 2 sets of body work....in what material...we wait and see.

Whilst that is happening, the alloy screen will be fitted and the battery box mounted......it is getting close to booking the MOT prior to the MVSA.

More to follow..

regards
Gavin
The Scottish Engineer.

2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Gav....coming along nicely.....I'm liking the 25% bigger Super city.....but 400% bigger engine....and its a testamount as you intend....that its looking like a factory bike....bigger and better than a TDR250....and I like TDR's.....and yet also homage to Gilera Nordwest Supermotard and Cagiva Elefant also.....lovely

Are you utilising the 2 brushed alloy side panels also inbetween the number board side panels and the tank/radiator shrouds also?.....keen to see it with those and a seat in place also

Body shop has some illustrious company inside....Mustang Fastback and a BMW 850CSI???
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning 2Bims....thanks for the comments.

The bike was delivered to the River Blackwater area yesterday foe final fitting an£ mould making.

The final fitting of the seat can’t be achieved until the rear section is finalised at battery area and also the front section of the new fairing.

If I can find an English wheel nearby.....I will get the exhaust/side panels made in alloy.....

Also want to make end tips on the rear of each the side panels again in alloy to just cover th3 start of the stingers.....as in the RG racing bikes.

Can’t decide on colours, keep coming back to Lucky Strike...it’s cheap and cheerful...white and a 80 euro sticker kit

Then after a year or so fettling .....make choice and get it painted right.

Dash was fitted yesterday and is being strengthened as the plate is only 2.5 mm Ali sheet...the clocks, ignition switch and tacho all make me happy.

More in a week or so......and thanks for comments....they are needed ...when stuff goes wrong.....as it does

Regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Strike.....you know you want to....if it looks good on Massive Paris Dakar Elefants....or little tinker Cagiva Super Citys....you know its the thing to do....and then you could buy back my/your supercity Lucky strike and you'd have a mini me version also....but both of them being 2-strokes...they'd look together...or just together at a show....
brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've missed a few of your updates! the bike is coming along nicely Gav
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: