Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

V Due engine (full fat on carbs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud977

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this:

brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud977 wrote:
Water coolant pumps are centrifugal pumps - the water goes in the centre and the vanes throw it to the outside. It doesn't work the other way around.

That’s the only way that I’ve ever seen a centrifugal pump work too... the Vdue pump may be a different type of pump? Maybe weed can elaborate a little more on the pump as it’s got me interested how it can work the other way too
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Weed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wrong again. The Vdue inlet looks to be on the external scroll but the casting actually takes the water to the central part of the pump. The observation part of my brain was never reliable connected to the looking part
brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed wrote:
I'm wrong again. The Vdue inlet looks to be on the external scroll but the casting actually takes the water to the central part of the pump. The observation part of my brain was never reliable connected to the looking part

Thanks for the clarification weed. That helps my head, but probably hasn’t helped Gav’s dilemma
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Weed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to post a couple of photos of the cooling assembly if I send them to you?
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah....I am fine...and thankyou Weed

As for Bud...you are also correct...everyone is correct.

Bimota’s pump is cast In a really strange way...

What looks like an inlet port is an outlet and the outlet looks to come out the centre but in reality it doesn’t ....it is the casting that makes it look as such on first glance.

It is a simply crazy design but it is a centrifugal pump and works exactly the same as such......but achieved by casting

I have my head round it now...it all makes sense.

It was discovering a photo of the old injection engine which clinched it.

On that image the inlet was one central inlet boss bang in the centre of the pump and there were 2 outlets spinning off the outside circumference....that made sense.

The latest engine version changed the pump castings and the same was achieved but via cast changes....making it look totally different to a standard looking centrifugal pump.

The cooling route seems illogical but it allows a constantly flooded inlet and will eliminate, in most cases ...air lock if filled properly

Seriously...thanks to you guys out there......it has solved a problem and now I am even wondering why I could not see it before!

Regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that makes sense now Gav. I’m only a fitter but years of doing it has taught me to be patient with engineers Laughing Laughing

Keep up the good work mate
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.............here we are again ...but now I understand the water cooling system.

Bear in mind, the bike is not in my garage but in the workshop 28 miles away I fogot exactly how it looked.

[img]Bimota V Due 500 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Now looking at this... it is easy to make the mistake.....but the radiator connects to what looks like an outlet ..the thing at 90 degrees horizontal ...or should be when the engine is upright.

This is the INLET and the exit is the stub outlet just visible....this then feeds the engine.

Thank you to Weed and Bud and everyone who chipped in.

Next up .....we had the seat to extend and match to the tank and cut any un needed sections out.

Here is the standard old SuperCity seat base with little modificactions.

[img]IMAG0650 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Next.... I cut out space for the electrics and make sure the base fits over the rectifier and stuff...I show my regard for electrics with this comment.

[img]IMAG0733 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Once that was achieved and it fitted as it should.... I started to fill panels ready for coating in GRP.

[img]IMAG0757 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The GlassFibre guy is KELVIN...he still manufactures for Cagiva and Ferrari prototypes...he is based down on the shores of River Blackwater in Essex.

Here he will cover with GRP bonding the new sections in place allowing me to grind fit to the tank....the white material is a Foamex type plastic

[img]IMAG0758 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

It was important to get the Servo Motor mounted and ensure that everything cleared its position.

[img]IMAG0749 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Trying to get the Servo motor somewhere suitable.....I had toyed with in the fairing but the cable run seemed torturous and I decided to go with a straight pull and push route.

[img]IMAG0747 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

This dictated the servo being situated behind the engine....and looked busy enough.......so the battery plate unit was selected by drawing straws.

[img]IMAG0746 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

This image is for 2Bims who kindly asked if I had allowed for the coolant tubes to clear the engine and frame....I had ...and they do.

[img]IMAG0750 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

You may recall the side plates and the marker pen on the left hand plate.

[img]IMAG0669 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

This has now been on the mill and a large hole created for the Thermostat and associated pipes to pass through.

[img]IMAG0754 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

All the pipes are loosely fitted and no clamps or clips are used...once it's finished I will order up the new hoses in BLACK silicone and fit up.

[img]IMAG0755 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

But it all looks pretty good and the by pass pipes and sensors are fabricated and positioned out of view.

The foot peg assemblies have been choosen and I could have gone all arty....but I didn't... here are the pegs ....just being offered up.

[img]IMAG0756 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

We are now almost there......side plates are at anodizers being made BLACK..... but the powder coaters are still on shut down.

The battery is causing me real issues as I am no designer....so it will be a compromse until I come up with a better solution.

The YELLOW battery will definately not be on show but needs a designers pen and not a engineers pencil.

Found this on the web.....another Tamburini design but NOT a Bimota build.

[img]Husky Tambo by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

You can see what a designer can build.....awesome.

Just one question...................wheres the battery?

More to follow and it will be getting wired soon.

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only question is "where is that Bike" as its gorgeous....it ws also shown at Eicma….but I have found nothing to identify where the bike is now.....I would hate to think it was broken up.....

Oops...I lied.....mid spreading butter on hot croissants......Clutch cover....RHS.....can all the bolts from the engine cover for the dry clutch be removed insitu?...without dropping the engine....hard to see from the angle of the photo....

Reason why?...Most vdues eat their plates every 1,000 miles or so....even less if you havent got the carbs set up right from the get go...so its nice to be able to get in there as routine maintenance to clean out debris and check plates....Which would be easier if you dont have to drop the engine that is.....Nice footpegs and assemblies......optimistic with the ball end pegs under the pegs...."coming soon near you.....2 stroke Vdue supermoto ...scratching his pegs around roundabouts....."....good on ya.....Might be nice to grind some flat edges on them from new for street bragging prowess.....albeit 2's company and 3's a crowd at the moment and banned....so bragging rights to just one person per meeting
2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.....and your End motto needs updating....no mention of the "actual" superchugger on there....
2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....theres some truly Scrumptious details on that Hussy.....more here...looking at pictures from the LHS looking back...seems the seat is high enough to house an airbox and battery box underneath it.,....If....following and copying similar Large single cylinder Supermotards…..like KTMs etc.....its usual for a simple and quick seat removal....upon which the battery is always underneath and accessible straight off.....essential as its usually very small to save weight....and constantly gets drained due to being small and having to spin up a large single cylinder high comp race engine....My KTM seat was off as much as it was on with my 640cc KTM...And I use to run expensive Odyssey Gel batteries in them...but they would still get munched up and replaced every 3 years or so....strangely KTM used to fix the ruddy tiny reg/rec over the top of the battery....and 2 bolts needed removing to "fold" it out of the way to get access to remove the battery....yes....they sat the reg/rec directly on top of the battery...battery was in its own box...and all under the big plastic based foam seat....with ZERO airflow anywhere around it when all fitted together

more pcitures here

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/husqvana/husqvarna_str_650.htm
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims................of course the clutch cover comes off without the engine drop.

And the coolant pipe will be re designed so that the clutch cover can come off without dropping coolant.

These are basic requirements

....as is finishing off the pipework, wheel rotation/direction and thermostat positioning/pointing....not to mention jubilee clips.

The list on the board say: COMPLETE and SEND OFF for WIRING and that is what is going to happen.

Whilst away being played with in a plug and play method...I will spend my time finding hoses, clips and making any new coolant pipes.

BTW...here is another Tamburini Squalo inspired design....see the body panels

https://www.corriereromagna.it/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Morto-Massimo-Tamburini-creatore-di-Bimota.jpgi

More late next week.

Hope that you all are enjoying the build

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying the build
....thumbs up... Arrow

On the standard vdue.....the cover comes off with the coolant pipe untouched.....cover just slides away...its a very short depth basket and clutch pack....some small trinkets in the post today for you...you'll need glasses to fit them.....and a 2mm Allen key....2 other pieces that are in post also...that I asked you about but got no answer....more parts to think apart....see sleeping beauty and the wicked witch...."M..........on the wall...
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....here we are again...a bit like ground hog day.

Last week allowed 2 visits to the workshop to finalise all the points prior to rewiring.

Nothing really major other than...who designed those coolant tubes....Jeez...the rear barrel cannot be connected because the starter motor is in the way.

[img]IMAG0799 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

What should be a 2 minute job turned into 30 minutes involving long nose pliers, a nut runner and WD40 to allow the lube to get the clip round the pipe.

A simple 20 degree kink on the piipe as it exits the barrel is all that is needed

Anyway....enjoy the final build section prior to wiring.

Remember Rupert Paul of Performance Bikes in the UK?

He now designs and builds wiring looms and has agreed to build a simple 'dirty race' loom allowwing the bike to be used on a dyno.

....then once back, from Gudo in Germany....he will complete the job with knobs and whistles!

regards

Gavin
the Scottish Engineer.

Last edited by Gavin944888 on Wed May 20, 2020 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time you saw the seat...it like this.

[img]IMAG0645 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The seat was added to using GRP/plastic to allow for a bigger wider tank.

[img]IMAG0807 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

And from another angle after the application of GRP and FOAMEX plastic.

The sides are still oversize and will be trimmed on the tank after the fixing bracket is glassed in place.

The section in the rear/centre was cut out to give space to electrics....a plastic panel was added anf glassed in place

[img]IMAG0806 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

A alloy manifold was drilled and tapped then welded to the pipe for the cylinder heads.

[img]IMAG0800 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

After the coolant pipes...it was the turn of the radiator....sensors for rad temperature and also a thermo switch for the fan.

[img]IMAG0794 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

And again...but with the fan in place

[img]IMAG0793 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The anodizers did what anodizers do and returned the foot plate frame plates

[img]IMAG0804 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

And from a different angle as the bike is leaving the workshop.

[img]IMAG0802 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Leaving shots......the dash plate allowing wires to be run up to but not connected to any gauges as yet.

[img]IMAG0803 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Almost out the door....off to RUPERTS REWIRES in sunny Peterborough way....bad angle on the bike...the pipes only just extend past the rear wheel.

That oven had just arrived for preheating alloy for welding and also heating bearings and pies.

[img]IMAG0801 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

After this......it is wiring..after wiring it is GUIDO in Germany...after that...its final fix.

Many thanks...more in August...I guess.....then Body work and paint.

Gavin
the Scottish Engineer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16

Jump to: