Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB7-11 VLX MULE resurrection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by 2bims on Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by 2bims on Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well............whilst we wait for the techies to sort out the videos...here are some old fashioned shots.

The OEM Bimota fuel tank had to have the new high volume high pressure pump assembly mounted outside the tank.

But the filter position and lack of room (under the seat) was causing an issue for the fuel filter...........thankfully X Bikes came up with this method.

I had already machined the plate and outlets with the suitable returns and they added the internal fuel filter.

Nice neat solution to the problem.

[img]image (1) (003) by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

The battery box was self fabricated many months ago and just needed the final fitting lugs positioned and welded.

I could not do this as the height of the battery box was dependent on the electrics which XBikes were doing.

It has been over 24 months for wiring, software programming and final build procedures....sometimes I swear they wanted to give up.

I had to use my best coercing skills to make sure that the project did not stall completely.

[img]image (3) (002) by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

Another shot of the battery box, showing the crazy amount of stuff packed into the area.

I had finished the mechanical aspect of the build May 2018 and it was up to
X Bikes to take on the rest.

at the beginning of the build I had approached and arranged other electrical companies only for them to hold the bike for 3 or 6 months then admit defeat!

It was after a chance telephone call to 'Lord Moonpie' who also owned a Vyrus 985 999r...did Chris and XBikes get mentioned, but they had a 12 month waiting list.

[img]image (2) (002) by The Scottish Engineer, on Flickr[/img]

I arranged for XBikes to do the work and waited for my wiring slot.

I knew that X Bikes were very busy then the chance job offer on the James Bond movie, crazy money for 8 months shooting work, put a big hole in the proposed time line.

Chris, the main software engineer who has worked with MV Agusta Race Teams and VYRUS, headed up the software for the stunts and pyrotechnics on the Daniel Craig picture.

But....I think that we are genuinely getting close to getting the bike back for final fixing and detailing of brackets.

Hopefully you can see the detail in the video if 2Bims has it sorted and I will continue updates when ready.

Until then........we wait

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
X81

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Greetings Reply with quote

Hello, thought i'd introduce myself to the forum. I'm Chris and i'm the one building this loom.

First up it has taken too long, no argument there but we're getting there now. I've had a number of issues that have caused delay but those are behind me and we're starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Gavin has been incredibly paitent and understadning and for that i am extremely grateful, i took the job on so i'll finish the job, to the expected standard as well.

The pics and video's are to show what essentially will all be hidden from veiw once built. That whole fuel pump and M-unit area is inside the seat unit, the battery area is so cramped you'd need to physically poke your face into it to it so see whats actually going on, the engine connections are buried between the V of the cylinders and the front end stuff will be behind a nose cone.

Once the engine is fired up i'll send Gavin another video which i'm sure he'll post here.

Thanks Smile
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you poor beleaguered fellow (Beleaguered - adjective
in a very difficult situation.
"the board is supporting the beleaguered director amid calls for his resignation"
(of a place) surrounded by armed forces aiming to capture it or force surrender; besieged.
"he led a relief force to the aid of the beleaguered city"

Seems most apt for your situation....but good on you.....One good thing that has come out of this....and knowing Gav as I do....its that his patience has been stretched and tested and....although he was a stout upstanding fellow to begin with....he seems to have mellowed and accepted more the world around him...I hope he doesnt mind me saying.....I know your angst with one of Gavs projects.....his projects only have "angst" as a central feature which all are built around....Just to let you know....we all appreciate on here what youre doing and "Carry on Regardless"....most apt given recent losses...and a film that Babs wasnt in....Keep up the good work....Has Gav taken the Aldi, Asda route and given you Xmas Day AND Boxing Day off?
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhhhmmmm....2 Bims 'Do not upset the wireman'

I have no idea what your text means...but I am okay with things as they are progressing.

XB1 (Chris) can now see that here have been over 60K views and as such he needs no more pressure than he has obviously got.

Lets not have another Litttle Mix moment...btw Jessy comes from Canvey!...I kid you not.

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer.

X81

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Oh you poor beleaguered fellow (Beleaguered - adjective
in a very difficult situation.
"the board is supporting the beleaguered director amid calls for his resignation"
(of a place) surrounded by armed forces aiming to capture it or force surrender; besieged.
"he led a relief force to the aid of the beleaguered city"

Seems most apt for your situation....but good on you.....One good thing that has come out of this....and knowing Gav as I do....its that his patience has been stretched and tested and....although he was a stout upstanding fellow to begin with....he seems to have mellowed and accepted more the world around him...I hope he doesnt mind me saying.....I know your angst with one of Gavs projects.....his projects only have "angst" as a central feature which all are built around....Just to let you know....we all appreciate on here what youre doing and "Carry on Regardless"....most apt given recent losses...and a film that Babs wasnt in....Keep up the good work....Has Gav taken the Aldi, Asda route and given you Xmas Day AND Boxing Day off?

HAHA the carry on regardless is fairly apt but more in the way of i've said i'll do a job and i intend to see that through.

Gavin has been incredibly patient, whether i wanted to or not i was never considering walking away and i would never drp a customer in it like that.

This has taken far too long and is definitly the last of these projects that i wil be taking on. I enjoy the problem solving, the creative element and peicing it all together but timescales are just too long and everyone ends up annoyed. The challenge of buildng this isn't difficult really, the challenge has been creating it in a way that meets my standards, for e.g. all that lot in the seat unit could have just been stuffed in there with insulating tape and some cable ties. No one can see it, it would all have functioned perfectly well and acheived the goal of making the bike work but come the next time someone works on it the first thing that would be said would be 'wow, who built this, what a pile of crap' and i can't have that, i just can't and it's that aspect that chews up time.

As it is the seat unit is now fully removable with 3 electrical connections, 3 fuel connections and 4 bolts. That's it, entire rear of the bike off in minutes.

Oddly enough though yes i am working xmas day and boxing day but not on bikes.
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched both the video's. 99% of it went right over my head Laughing . Electrics etc, a black art!!!. Cant wait to see and hear the finished item
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched both videos too. Awesome work. Anything involving electronics and I hold my hand up!
Anders

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched both videos now. They placed a big grin on my face. This is interesting! And fun! Very Happy
I am thinking of using the M-unit on my bb1 Supermono myself, to simplify the wiring a bit. I obviously have no ECU, no injection, no supercharger so things are significantly simpler here in my workshop. However, I do have a Ignitech race ignition, quickshifter etc, so there are some extra wires going around my bike at the moment.
What type of speed sensor do you use? Is it a reed relay? Do you take the speed off the front wheel? I could use a speed signal into my ignition. I'm afraid that these small reed relays are easily damaged, but I could be wrong. Any experience to share?

You talk about a tipping/falling sensor. What type do you use?

Those round connectors you use, what type are they? (one of them is used to route the wirng to the front of the bike). I also admired the battery box and placing the rect/reg beneath it. I need to move the battery out of the way on my bike as well, so I'm watching other's solutions with great interest.
That supercharged bike is really packed, so it just shows how many different sensors, wiring and other things you are able to get into a small volume if you plan it properly. Great work! Thanks for sharing!
hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - that's how to do it properly. Very impressive Very Happy
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.............IGNITION time...gets closer.

Chris (XBIKES) has sent a file showing initial starting albeit with girly action as in 'we are all frightened and dont want to do it!'

First fire up resulted in valve damage due to a tiny M4 dropping down the inlet manifold...DOH.

2 new valves later and ready to start again....FRIDAY night.

I have have not lost faith but I seem to be suffering from the Plastic Surgeon Syndrome.

I built this replica after Bimota refused to sell me the actual DB11VLX even though they promised to.

However, some two and a half years into my replica build....the actual prototype bike was offered to me!

Like the Plastic Surgeon who modelled a Cindy Crawford look alike only to end up with the real thing.

Well....its rude not to finish what you've started.

If all goes well......... 2Bims will upload a video of the initial starting procedure and soon...(we all hope) an actual Brapp Brapp Roar Whine of the thing making NOISE.

Next step...DYNO...we hope,

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Anders

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking foward to it! Very Happy
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, looking forward to it
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....that was a bugger of a job.....uploaded to Youtube now...and published...I had to download a "any player" app from mocrosoft...and then convince Youtube it was suitable for kids......as thats the way now....probably kids know more about this than I do....jeeso....

Camera Action...roll

https://youtu.be/ibQDDk24HBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: