Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

2017 Quail Motorcycle Gathering
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Members Bimota Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: 2017 Quail Motorcycle Gathering Reply with quote

I considered going to the Quail Moto Gathering for few years now. Last year I came close, wishing to bring 2 bikes but selling my near pristine '91 R100GS in April, weeks before the show and by SB8R was down with warped clutch cover.

Few weeks ago, purely on a whim, I filled out a short form and sent in picture of my SB8R. Just today I received an invitation to display the SB8R at show of roughly 400 or so bikes. The show is only a few weeks away on May 6th.

Franky, I have no idea what I am doing at this point as there is a bit of logistics involved such as getting transportation for the bike and finding a place to stay for at least one night in an area that has sold out rooms for miles from the event. I can kill two birds with one stone, get an extra long wheel base passenger van, pull out rear 2 rows of seats, use it to haul the bike there and back and also sleep in it.

http://signatureevents.peninsula.com/en/Motorcycle/Motorcycle.html
I thought about canceling on the invite, but since I am selling the SB8R this may be a great opportunity to show this bike. Who knows if I will have it around for the next show?!
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to the quail show twice. The bikes there are unbelievable. To be invited is a rare opportunity. Most of the bikes are owned by ex racers or serious collectors well know in the hobby. If you were lucky enough to be invited in, don't pass it up. You'll kick yourself later. If you do go, let me know, it's a 5 hour drive from Reno, I'll come over to say hi.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, I made arrangements to rent a Ford long van (12 passengers). My friend is loaning me the handle bar straps for his MV Augusta, tie downs and the ramps. I will use these and the Condor wheel chock to secure the bike for the ride as well as using the wheel chock for displaying the bike upright on the grass.

Definitely stop by and say hello. Maybe quickduc will want to make the trip as well. You are right in that this may be a great opportunity and a rare one as Quail has gained a lot of traction and are very particular about the bikes they choose. They get pickier with every year so this may be it for me.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like one serious show !!!!

Bit more up market than our little old Manchester show , were a few blokes put some bikes into an empty warehouse for the weekend Shocked Shocked
quikduk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar:

I "may" be able to attend but logistics are an issue for me too. I could ride the DB6 up there but where can I park it?

If would be great if I could "sponge" off of you and park it next to the van. I wonder how they feel about me setting up my tent there too? Might be a little too urban for them but don't know.

If I drive the Navigator up there, it will cost me a supertanker of fuel but I could sleep in it.

I'll need to see what rules there are and get back to you.
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar,

Well I looked at this event and it is a bit challenging for me at the moment.

It is a +/- 6 hour ride one way (on the freeway/highway only)...which "could" be fun if I took breaks but that would make it an all day ride up AND back plus the show. It would be better to take the scenic/twisty roads but that would add significantly to the time (and knowing me receiving at least one "good driving citation" due to the roads I would take...which I DON'T need). I can also secure a camping spot near the event as well as the ticket but I will have to pass this time.

It does sound like fun though so please take some pictures.

I hope you have a great trip and win an award!!!
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Quikduk, sorry for the delayed response but I just got home from the hospital. Been laid up since Sunday night with high fevers and chills. turns out skin infection. I got an antibiotic treatment for the next six days but it should be all good.

I hear you with regards to going up there. Saturday is not the most convenient time for the show but it is what it is. I already paid for the tix plus its really once in a life time opportunity as the show is going more and more upscale and thus tougher to participate in. Soon enough it will rival Concourse d'Elegance, meaning entrance for mere mortals will be almost unattainable.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
That looks like one serious show !!!!

Bit more up market than our little old Manchester show , were a few blokes put some bikes into an empty warehouse for the weekend Shocked Shocked

This show is not that old, this is its 9th year but has been gaining momentum ever since. I think with limited spacing and the quality of bikes there, the fact that they picked the SB8R says that the brand is still respected and held in high regards by the connoisseurs. This will be a first for me of such level as well. Hopefully I won't be too informal for the organizers Laughing As for the SB8R i am certain the bike will hold its own.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
brian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great show. Some photos would be much appreciated Cool
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely do that.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
yb11reno

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pm'd tirefrier, wouldve loved to meet him there, but can't make it. Maybe next year with more planning, a mini Bimota event?
The show is on Saturday, if you ride in, you get to park your bike along the shoulder of the road. In fact I bet 90% of the attendees ride to get there. There are 800 to 1000 bikes parked olongside the road shoulder, it's almost as much fun to walk around looking at them as it is to go inside.
As part of the event, they do a 100 mile self paced ride through Carmel valley on Friday. It limited, by number, so you have to sign up a couple weeks within them opening registration. If a few of us decided to sign up for the Friday ride before going to the show on Saturday, that would be a hoot!
It probably wouldn't be too hard to find decent priced hotels within 45 minutes of the event, I could look at what's available and post something in January, in advance of next year sign up.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100 mile ride requires signing up way in advance - it gets booked rather quickly. I wouldn't want to ride the SB8R in a pack of bikers with varying skills for that long. Now, if I get lucky and Quail will accept my YB10, then it's a different story. Too bad you'll be missing the event, but we can always hold out hope for the future.

BTW, while it's true that the streets of Carmel are filled with tons of bikes, I suspect most of them get trucked into the area the same way we used to truck bikes to attend MotoGP at Laguna Seca, err.. Mazda Speedway. Still a very cool way to arrive and travel during the event though.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ended up at the show and had tons of fun! I was stressed before the show, not knowing what to expect and how it will all pan out. Turned out much much better than I expected and I may possibly be back next year, if one of my
bikes will be picked that is.

If I was asked to what I didn't like about the show, I would say it was the weather. It was downright frigid. Other than this minor inconvenience I would say this was a top notch event with great organization. Did I say food was free? No junk food either, well prepared salads, chicken, desert,etc? Unfortunately, the alcohol was not free but there is always hope...

I tried to take as many and as good a pictures I could but you will be the judge of that.

SB8R loaded inside the Ford Transit. Not going to make the mistake of getting a passenger Transit again, side seats are fixed:

View from the side.

Sleeping arrangements:

Make shift emergency kit:
(it rained shortly, Plexus and the towels saved the day)
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to pull off the windscreen to clear limited head space of the Transit. I put a cover on the SB8R to keep it away from prying eyes while on the road.

Unloaded at the event parking lot:

These guys were the first ones to get to the event parking lot. I was snoozing outside the hotel when I heard their truck go by and followed them. John (on the bike) and Dave were great guys. They gave the full run down of what to do, helped me unload and later load the Bimota and even shepherd me to the mess hall. It is their third show with the tracker, its a fully documented race frame, lots of history behind this bike. They didn't win their class but just like most of us were there for the fun!

This is what I saw as soon as I entered the green:

2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Britten was parked right next me. My bike was arbitrarily placed in its category which included several other historically important motorcycles. This guaranteed that I will not receive any sort of mention for the SB8R, not that I was expecting to get any sort of mention at all. Seeing how this bike was started and hearing it run was more than I ever expected:

I've seen this bike on the web, but this time got a glimpse of it in the flesh. The execution is amazing. The steering is executed through tie rods, not quite a Tesi design though. The front wheel does not lean, rather it actually turns side to side, albeit without much "radius". I asked the owner what is the turning radius on this bike and he replied 1.2 miles (I think he was kidding...)

2004 BMW R11S BCR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Members Bimota Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: