Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

to buy or not to buy :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adavanvin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: to buy or not to buy :) Reply with quote

Hey, bimota's fans
Hello

I'm having DB10, using it already for two years and incredibly happy.
But was thinking to buy another bike, second one
Almost bought a second hand MV Agusta Rivale
Before was thinking about used BMW S1000RR.

But suddenly in list of offers appeared DB8, even SP, 2-3 years old, almost like new, only 3k mileage, very good condition (almost the same price as I wanted to spend for bikes above).

I wanted to ask you whether it make sense to buy such cool bike, whether it good in general. And if I do not like it in a year can I sell it easily (or Bimota market very slow and down)?

Thanks in advance
djt77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few DB7's now and the 8 just has the extra 100cc.

It won't have the tech that the MV or anything like the BMW, very basic, no traction control, ABS, etc etc, but having done few thousands km on then I'm not sure they needed.

They are a comfortable bike to ride, recently did 1,400 km over 3 days and didn't have any problems. I don't pine after any sports bike now, for me this was final one, last of the old school. If you can try one, they do take some getting used to and need careful setting up but well worth it in the long run.
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help to know what part of the world you are in. In general both MV and BMW have a much broader brand recognition and therefore a larger audience. The RR is one heck of a machine and is doing for BMW what the R11S and the GS model ranges did for them before - they are bringing in fresh blood who otherwise would never consider a BMW.

I never owned MV Augusta, can't even think I've been on one, I know I should be ashamed. A buddy of mine had the F4 not too long ago which was being wrenched on than ridden. He got rid of it after less than a year owning it.

The Bimota market is finicky, at least here in the States. Right now there is a YB11 in mint condition sitting not too far from me for $6800. It's been on the market for over a month. I bought an SB8R from the same seller. He also has a highly modified SB6R, etc. Although I bought SB8R on basically a whim (threw a number at the seller where I thought he'd tell me to go pound sand), the YB10 in my garage was a sought out purchase.

Bottom line, if you are looking to buy, ride and sell quickly then go for the RR. If riding something unique with great performance and style is your bag than Bimota will be hard to beat.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: To buy or not to buy Reply with quote

Tirefriar

You refer to a highly modified SB6R. Any more details, or a link to the shop?
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/5428662902.html
2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a link in the ad for the seller's other bikes where he is listing the YB11, etc
2004 BMW R11S BCR
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tirefriar wrote:

From the looks of those exhaust cans thats a Corse system !!!! Shocked Oh my Confused Rolling Eyes
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with djt77.

I have a DB7, done about 3k miles on it last year . It is definitely old school , you have to play with the suspension to get it right, adjust ride heights , preloads etc, not a stepper motor in sight, no TC , no alternative fuel maps , no ECU to control your right hand input.
What it does have is a direct connection from your brain to the tarmac, and your right hand to God. You are a master of your own destiny and when you step off you have the knowledge that you got there by your own skill and judgement rather than by an ECU and 3 gyroscopes !!!!

You also will have to get new gear to go with the bike as you will get photographed where ever you go.
Took the DB7 to the TT last year and when ever I parked it there was a group of people around it constantly, much to 2bims and his DB5R annoyance ( was very funny to watch, his face was like someone had ripped the head off his favourite teddy Laughing ) hardly anyone looked at his DB5R. In fact the girlies Triumph got more attention than his DB5R Very Happy

Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: To buy or not to buy Reply with quote

Hi Tirefriar, you have pm.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
I'm with djt77.

Took the DB7 to the TT last year and when ever I parked it there was a group of people around it constantly, much to 2bims and his DB5R annoyance ( was very funny to watch, his face was like someone had ripped the head off his favourite teddy Laughing ) hardly anyone looked at his DB5R. In fact the girlies Triumph got more attention than his DB5R Very Happy

Well it was your turn for your bike to "shine" at the TT.....and at least you didnt have to borrow one of mine to make the pilgrimage last year...unlike the previous years visits....teehee Laughing And you followed up by taking another of your own bikes to the Classic also....about time you racked up some of your own miles..........
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...I do draw the line at the Trumpet grabbing more attention though than the DB5R....its only coz around 3/4's of bikers arent familiar with Bimotas and dont want to show their ignorance that any chat may have been had about a trumpet instead...... Shocked
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

Well it was your turn for your bike to "shine" at the TT.....and at least you didnt have to borrow one of mine to make the pilgrimage last year...unlike the previous years visits....teehee Laughing And you followed up by taking another of your own bikes to the Classic also....about time you racked up some of your own miles..........

I do appreciated the loan of your DB6 in 2014 2Bims . Especially as my DB6 was late on delivery.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vort...thats 3 strikes and youre out.......it was a DB6"R" that I lent out to Mr and Mrs Vort...not some lowly DB6...tch tch.....Now off to bed to sob into my pillow...... Crying or Very sad
adavanvin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Oh...I do draw the line at the Trumpet grabbing more attention though than the DB5R....its only coz around 3/4's of bikers arent familiar with Bimotas and dont want to show their ignorance that any chat may have been had about a trumpet instead...... Shocked

very true
when I rode my DB10 in Moscow and I was at traffic lights one guy on the cross came to me and said "good bike. nice sound. chinese?" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adavanvin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thanks a lot!!!
I've paid yesterday for it.

Hopefully in April will ride it!

Will post a photo soon.
But it's almost the same as DB7 here

Many many thanks

PS - it looks fantastic compare to internet photos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: