Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Newby (ish) now has a bike!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so bad.......I use Ramair dual layer filter foam and cut to fit for when I have standard airboxes in place......Not surprising that the second layer of the heat shield is missing....fitting the dual layer one with the four bolts that hold the rear seat assembly in place is a bit of a chinese puzzle.....the two halves fit together and are located by the very bolts that hold the rear subframe in place....but two of them you cant reach without special swivvel joints from a mini ratchet set...on my DB2 the double layer was in place....but two of the fixing bolts werent....coz you cant access them to do up with the shield in place....easy enough though to replicate the plate from sheet ss....only needs the odd fold and cut and drill here and there........Rear shock remote clamp.......seen that before...as they have been been known to fracture and break.....again though may be able to be bought or at least replicated....as the unit should bolt straight to the frame........
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that BCP have stock of the upper heat shield plate for DB2....part code 502260510......They dont have a listing for the lower shield plate (as I think yours isnt a stock one.....hard to tell from photos....but yours looks like it kicks up at the back of the bike.....Also not showing stock of the remote reservoir bracket....although you could check similar for the DB4 model....same size reservoir...but different bracket that would work though....
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've contacted Paolo re the missing bits, note your comment re DB4 reservoir mount.

I may not even bother with top shield as its not brilliant design as you say. Lower is original but again there is a 'home brewed' extension plate zip tied in place. Whole thing needs a rethink
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.....yeh....was thinking the extra cranked piece was an addition....Double shield plates could be seen as a bit over engineered....and not necessary........more recent bikes theyve made suffer from more issues re heat shield plates....never noticed any issues with the Db2 in that area.....Nice to see youre getting acquainted with it though.........
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional shield is easier to see in this shot...along with the zip ties (grrrr)

[/img]
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yeh...thats a better picture....I thought for a moment you were sticking to tiny grubby blurred piccies that I had to blow up.......Yeh....that bottom plate is an original piece together with the 2 bent drilled tabs that match onto the top piece and bolt together to stop it rattling..........the top piece serves the same purpose as your add-on after market piece....as it extends further than the bottom piece....sheltering the Y shaped one into 2 exhaust piece to the end cans.....The top piece is secured by being sandwiched by the tail piece end fixing assembly bolts....rather than the front 2 fixing bolts....so you have to remove them...lever the piece up...fit the top piece....lever it down and fit the bolts....then the clamp bolts where the spring is....

welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: heat shield complexity Reply with quote

mmm.. thanks for the photos .
From a design point of view it does seem to be from the 'one nail is good, two nails is better' school of thinking. One piece adequately designed should act OK as heat reflector. doubling up doesn't really even add to rigidity.. I think I will look at maybe extension to lower piece (riveted?) with some additional heat barrier materials (many available compared to 1994)

definitely want a reservoir mount for the shock though as mine is a P.O.S.

[/img]

Yeah, I know, headers etc are a bit scabby, exhaust bolts are mixed, plus the rear set fasteners are wrong (as you already noted)

Making up a list of 'to do's as I go through but don't want to dick around too much yet before its MOT's etc.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh......cable tie mounts never look so good....and the stock DB2 piece is certainly a quality looking piece....I've seen the odd one come up on ebay.......but they are rare....there just no need for anyone to be selling one unless they're stripping and selling the entire bike and all its pieces....although with todays CNC machines it would be easy enough to find someone that can make an identical copy of the stock item....that has 2 fixing bolts into the frame.........The DB4 item is a strap with one fixing bolt....but reservoir remote is the same on DB4 corse models and ones that used a Paioli unit which is an exact copy of the Ohlins......heres how they look....one with the Ohlins and one with Paioli like on mine....mine though has a spacer to keep it away from the Reg/rec that gets hot.........

Exhaust headers will clean up easy as they are Stainless steel pipes anyhow...specifically made for Bimota and have Bimota "b" logo plates spot welded onto them....Must be time to take the fairing off and see what else lurks beneath.......

That plastic sheathing around the braided SS hose I replaced with cable tidy wrap from Maplins....10m for less than 3squid...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/3mm-spiral-cable-wrap-10m-sj26d

2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is before and after for my DB2 headers.....simply with a polishing kit of mops and waxes for less than a tenner and a power drill....

welshlamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: initial dumb question Reply with quote

I say this in the certainty that there will be more to follow, please bear with me.....

1) what is chain spec i.e size, no of links etc ? cant see it in any of the docs I have
2) are wheels a straight swap with a 900ss Duc (even if requires spacers) just wondering as about 10000% more likely to come up on 2nd hand market?

Cheers
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen size of chain on any Bimota documents stated....clean up a link or two and it should be stamped on the faces....most chains come over long anyhow and need to be cut down to size depending on size of sprockets...its a 520 chain size from recollection....front sprockets are specials though and different offset from Ducati sprockets..these boys do them....but chains from anywhere evidently
http://www.wieres.de/Shop/bimota

Wheels? Evidently any wheel can be made to fit and if staying with same rim size F&R not such an issue if spacers are made up, bearings correct size for spindles....Oscom/Bimota wheels are light enough though and no need to change unless damaged...and can still be found 2nd hand....BCP have them and on Japan Yahoo also......Oscom wheels have narrow hubs across the spindle....and your brembo cast iron full floater discs with 20mm offsets need these wheels to be retained....Marchesini/brembo Ducati wheels whilst having 320mm 6 hole discs....their discs are flat...theres also varying spindle sizes on Ducatis as they changed them to larger through the years....alignment of chain critical and the fitment of a 230mm disc on DB2 means you would struggle....most ducati wheels are 245mm dia rear discs with different bolt holes and hub sizes
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the wieres website. Having cleaned some dust of the rear sprocket I can see that's where the current one was sourced from! The chain is 96 links according to the spec on their webpages.

A quick check on brake discs showed , all 5mm+ ish so OK for now. Havent checked pads or piston movement yet.

Took the fairing off today no problems and a lot easier that the usual 16 piece jigsaw on a lot of Japanese bikes.

Some observations so far.....

The bottom of the fairing was quite stone chipped and has been resprayed (without attending to the chips) at some point. The red is shade wise almost correct but is not metallic. You could only realise this once the dust/film cleared off and in a good light. Inside however no sign of any real damage to fairing.

The sidestand bracket was loose with one bolt finger tight only.!

Why is the text 'electronic ignition' on the LHS inspection cover upside down. I know it's not really but why is text inverted. I've not seen this ignition/timing cover before. ie usually plain no?

BONUS.....there's a nice full carbon clutch cover to go with the carbon belt covers (will whip it off tomorrow to se what's behind (had to come in for dinner with calls from back door!)

The engine is VERY clean, supposed Km is 22000km. but exhaust pipes are a bit ratty and the front cyl header has definitely been sprayed silver . Back pipes are a bit dirtier but look sprayed also. As Bimota papers don't list the engine number its hard to know if this is original engine or not. Any tell tale signs suggested to look for.

Will continue tomorrow. Want to get the bike up on a ramp with a paddock stand to remove and inspect rear wheel assy next.

Last edited by welshlamb on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking quite nice and clean and well cared for really....I'd say mileage is correct......and probably with very little wet weather use and no winter riding....its certainly cleaner than my 11,000 mile example DB2 was when I bought mine.....clean ferruled ends on Oil line head feeders...bolts etc....

Strange one that Electronic ignition stamped cover......its the same cover they used on the 750 engine on the DB1 from 1984.....albeit its the right way up on that bike

Its still the right shape though...although your engine casing differs slightly from my DB2......I have a plain cover on mine...was painted black...but I stripped and repainted the LHS engine casing and kept that inspection cover/oil seal unpainted and polished....you can buy nice shiney alloy ones for that or anodised alloy ones....theres just a rubber O ring behind it to seal it..

At least youre finding it worthwhile to strip and check it...loose sidestand fixing plate being an example.....and you have the same sidestand and plate bracket as mine....so my spare sidestand mod bracket would fit straight onto your bike so that the suicide stand would be "no more".....and it looks like you have a decent extension piece fitted to yours also to keep the bike more upright.....signs of a caring owner...

Now I need pictures of the front end, headlight assembly, steering damper, clocks etc.....Have you located the single Main 30 Amp fuse yet? separate from the main fuse box?
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder thought why theres no sprocket cover fitted??? Wondering if previous owner couldnt get it on if hes fitted the wrong front sprocket with incorrect set off?? Certainly the central fixing bolt on the sprocket is wrong....shouldn't be a domed bolt....and that fixing plate circular thingie is same as used on a DB1 750 engine once again......normally its an oval shaped retainer plate with splines.....( I have a spare original plastic sprocket cover you could have...)....

Will await rear wheel removal to check on Cush drive, and studs on rear wheel....theres also 2 bearings in the cush drive unit itself.....

Strange looking carbon cambelt covers....seem to be in more than 2 pieces like traditional plastic covers......evidently you'll be pulling at least horizontal cover off to check cambelts condition? If theres white writing still clearly visible on the outside face of the belts then theres been little mileage since they were changed....as a 1,000 miles or so the cam belt tensioenr wears the white numbered writing off the belts....
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: ever deeper Reply with quote

Thanks, hadn't spotted the sprocket issue, will check later once I can degrease that area a bit! Will replace the access cover as its clearly off an earlier model bike (must be rare and valuable!!)

Its almost like a bike that was being serviced, left a long time then when put back some bits were lost (reservoir mount, sprocket retainer, ignition access cover etc) we shall see. More Photos to come but little access to RHS bike without moving things around in the garage and with the continuous rain yesterday I couldn't open doors to do that. Hopefully later today!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: