Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

An SB6 joins the fray!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: SB6 Reply with quote

PS Looking at the picture of your chain again, I would say that it's already stretched beyond where a DID would be after twice the mileage.

I'm going to stop now, because it's time for my medication Laughing
Hursty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Philfingers welcome to the club, they are a good bike that can be a great bike with a bit of work Wink

I covered most of your questions and problem's in my blog when I had mine rebuilt. SB6 x Japan now lives in Kiwiland

The best mods were opening up the other side of the airbox for more air and having the rear end raised ( if you don't need a block of wood to stop it falling over its probably to low ) and depending on your weight upgrading front and rear springs made a huge difference.
My latest upgrade was some carbon ceramic brembo pads which have a lot more bite.

Anyway i'm sure you will find your way. Enjoy Very Happy
philfingers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, will pay careful attention to the chain then. Clutch needs bleeding/sorting, is this a motor 'drop' to sort? if that's the case might be time for a chain
EC- above the headlights, of course the obvious position for an expansion tank! Not sure on headlights but they have round, ie like a ball bulbs like the ones in my dad's old Merc van 20 odd years old! I read somewhere that you can use ZXR 400 lights. I just happen to have a pair of those, tho they're import ones
right it's a ZXR400 day, time to get it back together!
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original lights are a plastic moulded back piece and clear plastic lenses, they use 2 bosh bulbs like you describe.
Zxr400 lamps were used on the Mk1 SB6 + SB7, yours will probably be the bigger ones. I used GSXR 1100 lamps but anything the right size will work. You can cut the originals out and mount the lamps into the plastic or get an ally plate cut and mount the lamps in that. If you fit 55/60 watt bulbs it's best to fit relays

Bleed the clutch first ... snigga !!!
Check the sprocket cover isn't cracked or broken change the oil and see if the clutch is still bad
philfingers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike is a MKII with bigger lights, the ZXR400 ones are H1 units
Curiosity got the better of me. Chain is a Regina
So the clutch, is that engine out to bleed it?
there's fluid in the reservoir but no weigh to the lever
400 close to done. . . . .
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you bleed it with the engine in, the bleed nipple is on top of the slave cylinder which is partly covered by the frame rail. It could be the master cylinder hasn't got and fluid in, they can be a bit finiky to prime.
philfingers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 sounds really sweet, got it fired up yesterday, leaking float valve seal caused some extra time. just body work and onto the SB!
thanks EC for your help
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries we'll see you in the SB section Very Happy
philfingers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, fairing off, looks like the clutch slave is leaking, and possibly the upper most cap heads are rounded off, can't see yet.
So can it be done in situ? Looking like the maybe once the exhaust is off I could maybe drop the back of the motor to access it?
In the main bike doesn't look too bad. Had to drill the heads of the hugger bolts off, bit of car required to get the remainder out, may just replace the nutserts.
the airbox inlet hose is a bit squashed in places, probably as a result of the fairing being on and off. Bit of a crack and wear near the bottom of the fairing, close to front wheel, what's the fix for that, paint has lifed and it's worn a little. Could do with a scrificial peice in there. Fairing would be a whole lot easier to remove if the flat bit underneath could be removedseperatley. I remember seeing posts about splitting it into 3
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine can be swung on the mounts slightly , if you are doing that I would check what is left of the sprocket cover after Bimota modded it to fit around the frame. Is there 2 or 3 of the mounting bolts left ??? If 2 you may need to get a GSXR one and modify. There was a recall/mod done to stop flexing by slave cylinder, an extra bolt as left on cover.

There has been a few different mods to the single piece fairing, but to be honest you get used to it, and splitting it just ruins the clean lines.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slave cylinder is a motor drop the rear bolt holding the sprocket cover is very long so there isn't enough clearance to remove it. The slave bolts into cover from the inside.
Pain in the tits but not the end of the world.
philfingers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's mostly ready, I'm in the planning stage for the motor stand
making something similar to the one i made for the 851. May even modifiy the same stand. Once bolted to the engine you can remove the stand [abba in this case] the whole engine and frame are supported on the new stand, then frame can be unbolted and lifted off.
That boat anchor of an engine looks a whole lot heavier than the R1 engine in the car, which is 68kgs!
Not found much mischief, just the front disc bolts are stuck fast and looks like most are in the throws of being rounded off. I think i'll probably weld a rod to them and them just unscrew them!
pictures speak a 1000 words. Should get the stand made today

EC the sprocket cover makes sense now I see it and see what they did to it!
Chain looks fines too, no tight spots and it's a Regina

2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front disc bolts are usually made of normal Italian cheese.....you can normally cut a slot on one outer edge from the allen key hole out...and then cold chisel them out anti-clockwise...usually gets them moving...
philfingers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might try that Steve first, welder coming out for the stand tho so may be the easier option, back one came off ok
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heating the bolts softens the thread lock ... so welding will probably be a good way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: