Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

An SB6 joins the fray!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philfingers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: An SB6 joins the fray! Reply with quote

Picked my self an SB6 up the other day
Came from a large private collection in Newcastle
showing 4400kms, last MOT in 2007, it was registered in 2000, the guy who owned it [deceased] got it in 2004, there were two previous owners, previous being a Michael Diamantides in Macclesfield
the bike is an early mkII from what I gather, chassis 906
Isn't bad, i'd say unloved but not abused. There's a dink in the swingarm behind the RH footpeg, which the seller [a dealer] failed to mention [selectively i feel] even tho i specifically asked him to look behind the foot pegs and at the frame. It was covered in a rubber pad. The one the other side had been pulled off and I suspect the RH one had been pulled off and then hurriedly reattached! I digress
So frame and swingarm have been polished. right hand panel has been painted, i'd say it's 8/10, there's a small mark under the paint. I suspect it's been dropped at stand still.
other than that as far as I can tell it's stock, screen may not be.
Tyres were/are new, in 2007. Appear to be carved from granite!
got it running at the shop, ran on 2/3.
Have already had the carbs in the cleaning tank and reassembled. I guess the 127.5 mains are the centre pots? and 125 on the outside?
have taken the calipers off and stripped, cleaned and reassembled those. seals and pistons are like new
so little jobs are:-
front wheel has some run out. I need to get it off and measure it properly. I was talking to a guy who straightens wheels. He was saying years ago Suzuki spec was 'within 3mm' laterally and radially. This guy says for racing 'wets' within 3mm is ok, for slicks/dry within 1.5mm. MOT spec is now 1mm. ZX10 of modern era is 0.7mm
Basically he's saying if it's not too bad then leave it. There's no scuffs to the wheel.
. . . . ah yes the jobs, so:-
front wheel
tyres
all fluids
new batteries
carb balance
check valves and compression

I'm sure the list will grow. I'm just finishing off a ZXR400H1 at the moment, so will be fitting in bits as and when

feast you eyes on the pics, as usually comment good, bad and ugly welcome!

Few points:-
1.should there be some kind of cover of the battery, or it's terminals?
2.these are the carbs cleaned, the pilot on no 3was blocked, the screws were mullered and I guess last time it was worked on they couldn't get the bowl off, al sorted with some non OEM A2 capheads
3.calipers were pretty grubby, this is what 30 mins in the ultrasonic tank does to them in proper carb/mechanical cleaner. they were just wiped with a rag when they came out
4.is this hole in the airbox stock? is it open as std or should there be a cover over it?
5. those pesky hugger button heads are seized, joy!
6. disc, i'm hoping it's going to clean up! the 'buttons' on the front ones are pretty good, next to no wear
7. what does everyone do for paddock stands? don't want to step back 20 years and use cup type! Can i use an Abba stand on the swingarm pivot?

03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front and rear discs on that are fine....merely surface rust that would clean off in the first 50 miles of use....or you could rub with wire wool...hard on the fingers though......will look nice and shiney almost like ss discs with some use though...I've seen/had worse that came clean...

Batteries you mean...plural....seen a fair few that dont have any covers nor baterry terminal covers either....easy fix from Halfords etc////Looking good though....

rear Bike stand? Just slot a long threaded or not threaded bar through the hollow spindle...and then you can use a traditional pop-up stand to raise the rear wheel off the ground......eividently if you want to take the wheel off its back to 20 years ago and U cups on the swingarm....I have one similar for the DB2 and I just lined it with rubber pads so it doesnt damage the swingarm
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loving the mph overlay on the speedo............. Very Happy
philfingers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. I may blast and plate the rear disc in gold zinc. would look better, rather couldn't look any worse, they were gold passivated from new I think
Will try Halfords for a battery. they're £40 each on their website/in store but i have a trade card and it's about 40% off usually, so that's respectable price, X2 of course!
I'm quite excited about getting it up and sorted. then again I'm similar with the ZXR400 too

looking at tyres:-
tyre leader, inc del. for 120/70 and 180/55 Michelin 2CT's£157, PR4's£180 and Pilot Power £133. good prices, for the extra £23 over the 2CT's I'd try the PR4's I reckon, only it won't be used in the wet! so may aswell go with the £133 set! Had 2CT's on the RSVR and 999S and impressed, or rather no grumbles!
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelins, Dual Compounds, Pilot powers...Yup....my chosen tyres on 5 bikes....so much so I've replaced Pirellis etc well before their time to get the Michelins on....
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the chin of the fairing where the crap blasts it and see if there's a hole there yet.
The airbox does have a cover but they get taken off to get more air to the carbs. That pipe below the airbox should fit onto the spigot in the bottom of the airbox.
Cut the rubber mat back so the alternator gets more air and doesn't overheat.
Change the brake and clutch hoses - Hel do them.
I use an Abba stand.
Drain the coolant and take the chrome piping off the top of the engine to check it's open, Oily found one that wasn't.
The batteries are like that

Nice bike Cool
philfingers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Boris!
yes the airbox was 'plugged' into that pipe, for all the use I can imagine it gives!
I remember about the splitting hoses
I remembered about Rob's issue with the metal hose, I couldn't remember which hose it was, I remember it needed milling out.
I haven't got the fairing off yet, what's the best way, Abba stand and then put a bottle jack under the downpipes and remove the front wheel [it's coming out anyway]
where the F*** is the expansion tank, I can't see it anywhere! there's no fluid visible below the rad cap, just crystals! I'll stick Audi G12 in it as I have a 25ltr container of it! If it's good enough for a RS4/6 [no I don't have one!] then I'm sure it will be fine for the SB
thanks, it's no perfect but price was OK and it's mostly all there an needs a damn good clean and new boots!
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 of these will sort you out 271156272456 and cheaper than using your Halfords card
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I use the Abba front lift under the pipes you can leave the wheel in but take the mudguard off. Split the bottom of the faring by undoing the camlocks then get the jack in there. Watch out for the sidestand they're too short
Oh the forks are quick release there's a vertical bolt at the back you undo them and they should swing backwards, they usually foul so you have to undo them completely.
philfingers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks will give that a go. thanks for links on the battery. will see what Halfords charge. they have a very good returns policy, much easier than mail order. it's no quibble!
do you have a PDF of a manual at all please? Won't need one for much, torque setting and techincal bits really.
Want to get the ZXR finished, and then crack on with the SB. Finished painted the calipers for that today and the off bracket, all ready to go back together now
Jbuffa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Michelins, Dual Compounds, Pilot powers...Yup....my chosen tyres on 5 bikes....so much so I've replaced Pirellis etc well before their time to get the Michelins on....

I'll second the Michelin Pilot Powers. I use the Power 3 (not sure if it's named the same around the globe) it has 20% softer compound on the outer edge. Very confidence inspiring tire.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: SB6 Reply with quote

I would junk what is probably the orignal chain - they were rubbish and there's a number that have broken. If the rear sprocket looks ok, I would just thread a new chain through. I know it's not best practice, but if you don't want to drop the engine to get the front sprocket off for the time being, you definitely want to get rid of that chain.

The original domehead bolts holding the rear hugger on, rust as soon as they see water and the allen head is so small that it rounds off with the slightest resistance. If you can cut a slot in the head with a hacksaw blade, a flat blade screwdriver might fetch them out or you could try to drill tham and use a screw extractor. Don't worry too much about damage to the carbon hugger, as carbon repairs very well.
philfingers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the issue with the original chain then? Were they not rivetted correctly at the link. once it's clean I'll have a careful look over it. there's very little wear on it, but haven't rotated it looking for tight spots yet
the pesky hugger buttons will come out somehow, the Aprilia ones are similar, no grease the culprit for sure!
best crack on with the 400 I guess. . . . . so I can use it's Abba stand!
Batteries from Halfords {Yuasa} are £32 each with trade card and 12m warranty. . . prices range from £20 each on ebay.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: SB6 Reply with quote

As regards the chain, I think it was just poor quality materials, so it doesn't stretch uniformly, giving rise to loose spots. Try and tension the chain to get rid of them and you create tight spots which cause, what is a weak chain, to break.

I would contend that Bimota's of that vintage (don't know about the more recent ones) were a mixture of uneconomically expensive lovely bits, partially subsidised by cheap and nasty bits. The chains fall squarely in the latter category. By the way, I don't mean that as a criticism of Bimota, because without a few cut corners they would never have sold the number they did, depriving us of something which we're potentially able to turn into the bikes that they would have made if they'd operated with a completely free financial hand. I always think of that generation of Bimotas as a starter-kit for something great, rather than the finished item, and I love 'em.

To me, replacing that chain represents a very small outlay to prevent a potentialy catastrophic failure.

Nice 400 Kwak by the way.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the headlights are standard moulded plastic, then they're worse than rubbish.
The expansion bottle sits above the headlights
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: