Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Bimota return to "kit form" bikes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Bimota return to "kit form" bikes Reply with quote

"MOTO MOTIVO NEWS.
My good friend Bob Steinbugler, owner of Bimota Spirit, and I are excited to announce that we have formed a long term strategic partnership to re-introduce Bimota motorcycles into the USA after a six year absence. We will start by importing a very limited number of current models in kit form and assembling in the USA what will be “Custom” motorcycles - because our initial volumes cannot justify the US homologation costs. Moto Motivo will be the Center of Operations for the motorcycle assembly and I will also do some of the Bimota end-customer service. I am very excited to have the first Bimota DBX enduro bike in the USA on my lift right now and will start on it before the end of the day. Next in the queue is the first Tesi 3D Naked, to be followed by the first BB3 - built around the BMW S1000RR powertrain. These next few weeks will be very busy and I will post progress as it happens! Anyone interested in purchasing one of the limited early Bimotas should contact us at sales@bimotaspirit.com for more information"
djt77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is great news and opens up whole new markets for Bimota. I would have no problems purchasing a bike in kit form and putting together myself.

Also opens up possibilities of putting other engines into frames I would think with a little bit of reworking here and there. Would like to see how the BB3 chassis would take the new Aprilia engine, or the H2 engine Smile
djt77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is great news and opens up whole new markets for Bimota. I would have no problems purchasing a bike in kit form and putting together myself.

Also opens up possibilities of putting other engines into frames I would think with a little bit of reworking here and there. Would like to see how the BB3 chassis would take the new Aprilia engine, or the H2 engine Smile
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people would like Bimota to return to their roots in this way....and make kits for modern engines based on retro models....effectively though these "kits" are merely to bypass current US regs on importation and registering....bikes are built up as complete....minus fitting of the engine....so that Bob can bring them into the USA....but does show an element of flexibility on Bimotas part
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that shifts a few units is good news for the factory.

The BB3 frame is for a IL4 engine and wouldn't lend itself to a V4 and the supercharger unit would probably make the overall engine size to long.
A more universal frame might be an idea but it would probably turn out like the Harris classic race frame suiting engines like the Suzuki 1200 Bandit or Yam XJR 1300, with straight up and down barrels. It's difficult to improve on modern superbikes
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm , the 'kit ' form is to get around import rules and emission laws. Used by the automotive industry all the time.

China and India have massive import duties for foreign products , so car companies send cars with doors off, engines out , seats in a create etc, therefore they are not cars but bits, therefore not taxed as cars.

Would'nt read to much into 'KIT' thing other than getting around the US rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: