Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Should I have my head read?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basket Caser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Should I have my head read? Reply with quote

Hello to all,

Since purchasing another basket case to take up my spare time, I have browsed the web and found this forum. To date it seems to be a treasure trove of information.

My basket case is a '94 YB9sr, which has rested under trees for the last 18 years with 540 kilometres on the clock, moulding nipples are still sprouting from the perished and rotten original Michelin tires!

My question is; with so many of this model being manufactured, where are they all and why are they so unloved?

Thanks for the efforts to date guys,
brian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BC and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the purchase of your yb. It must have an interesting story behind it if as you say it's been resting under a tree for the majority of it's life and very few klm's on it Shocked . It would be real special if you could resurect it and finaly treat it as it deserves.

There were (apparently) 651 yb9sr's built between '94 and '96 so in terms of motorcycle production, not big numbers. I know of a couple in Australia and one that been for sale for a long time. Every time i see it i think about bying it myself. What color is yours?

You'll get stomped on here if you don't post pics Wink . It's a bit difficult to post pics here the first time so if you have trouble email me some pics and i'll post them for you.

Cheers,
Brian
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Vince186

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, … on this fantastic forum.

Why are they so unloved?..... That’s because you first have to be infected by the Bimota virus.
For me, I started with an SB6, That’s because it was the Bim I found most beautiful, I didn’t like other Bimota's.
Now, I love all Bimota’s they are all beautiful even the DB, maybe I'll buy one sometime. Shocked
There is no cure for this virus, it can only be restrained ….(for me, by my wife) Wink
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one expensive mushroom planter . The person that left it under the tree, was he ever seen again or did it just blow his mind in 500k ?
The problem with the yb9 was its drab colour scheme but if you look at Lammie's its amazing what a nice sparay job can do.

Oh and welcome to the mad house.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yb9 is a 600, so when you consider the Bimota price tag you could have bought a 750 or 1000 ordinary production bike or a Bimota litre bike for not much more.

I'd still like a YB9
Basket Caser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes it is only a 600, but then I have owned many yamaha 4 cylinders so I am happy with a devil that I know.

This poor beastie left Italy and was shipped to Japan, where I guess either the bike was a toy for a rich boy or as Vort suggests the owner may have been scared of the performance.

Blue in colour and frame is YB900416

Needless to say I liked the way it looked, despite the rust and grime and have taken the waif in and I am nursing it back to health.

The inner fork tubes are beyond repair, re chroming is not an option. I have located a set of DB2j forks and have swapped out the legs with a full clean and new oil and seals. The DU metal sliders are in perfect condition so until I can find a rebuild kit from Paioli they will be in service for the duration. The Paioli RSU manual is invaluable as there is no local knowledge on these forks.

The engine is a runner even though it has been dormant for so long. After testing the integrity of the cooling system, (fluids were drained for shipping purposes) I charged the battery that bike had and reinstated the fuses, dash lights all worked and engine turned over. I took a punt and filled the carbs, pulled the choke knob and pushed the button....fired on two then the others picked up, idled and heated up to normal running temp, no leaks so all appears good. I will strip the carbs regardless, just due to long time with no fuel.

Next stage is to strip and repaint the rims (powder coating peeling due to corrosion) All bearings will be replaced, steering head is notchy so I don't trust any or the others. Brakes will be rebuilt, pads not worn just corroded. Tee in front break line has corroded too, got some Goodridge race lines to fit.
Chain will be replaced as the o rings have gone hard and fallen out where sunlight has got to them. The rear sprocket has turned to powder, great how Ergal does that when it starts corroding.

I have problems with my camera so photos will follow as some stage.

Yes Lamininators YB9 is a beauty.

Mine will stay original Blue in the meantime as the panel paint is as new, the clearcoat on the carbon fibre will be redone .

To be continued.....
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think the carbon is clear coated, my SB6 carbon looks flatfish and slightly green. I polished mine with a buffing mop

Oh its a FZR600R Foxeye engine btw.
brian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of many blue yb9's. The one in Aus for sale is also blue, but i've never seen another blue one pictured anywhere on the internet.

As Vince says... Bimota ownership seems to be a diease of some sort and rarely ends with one.

Any other bikes in your stable?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Basket Caser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that most of the blue YB9's ended up in Japan and other far off lands. I know of one in Holland too.
Yahoo! Japan often has Bimota bikes and spares for sale, especially SB series.

Other bikes; a few years back I built up a bike for a local street race series based on a CB250rs, still relatively original except for the FT500 motor hidden under the tank and a modified exhaust from a CBR, not much difference in top speed but gobs of torque for the tight racing circuit. I can still road legal it I put some new tires on it.
It is still resting in my shed as is my XL250s of around the same vintage. The other is a hand built special based on a BMX frame with a 50cc two stroke engine in it. A project which entertains the hell out of tourists and hardened bikers alike. I have yet to be stopped by the police for having too much fun.....
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince said:
Quote:
Why are they so unloved?..... That’s because you first have to be infected by the Bimota virus.

That's funny! However, I think my wife has the anti-dote, because I still only own one Bimota....mmmmmm??? She must be spiking my beer!Shocked

Oh, and uh, welcome aboard basket-caser.......and YES, you do need to have your head thoroughly examined, like the rest of us..... Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy

'98 Bimota SB6R #000016 "Sweet 16"
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
Vince186

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimota_rider wrote:

That's funny! However, I think my wife has the anti-dote, because I still only own one Bimota....mmmmmm??? She must be spiking my beer!Shocked

Or, maybe you are resistant to the virus. Shocked
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it's a beneficial virus ?
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They call it AIBDS.....

Acquired Immune Bimota Deficiency Syndrome...... Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

'98 Bimota SB6R #000016 "Sweet 16"
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
husson73

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was YB9SRI owner between 1996 and 2000, bought it new.
Nice bike and bought it because I rode very often with my lovely girl on long trip so I need a two seaters.
But when you're on the bike you've the feeling to start a race on 600 world production race and you can see on the rear mirrors only if you're lay down the bike.
The seat was comfortable for the passenger, mean the position , but the whole seat was made in iron.
Add the fact mine was injection model not your with injection troubles, various electric troubles.
Fed up as i don't like unreliable bike, sold it and bought a brand new 996.
has the feeling i was riding a Gold wing compare to the rather extrem position on the YB9SRI.
Still have the duke, and some Bimota but not my YB9SRI, was the only one bike I sold since 30 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: