Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

ceramic coating by camcoat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: ceramic coating by camcoat Reply with quote

New straight through race series (cat free) pipes from zard received back after receiving shiney, fit and forget ceramic coating, inside and out...nice finish...2 sets done, for db5r and db6r..

Last edited by 2bims on Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! Purty!
Where do you get the pipes?
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipes are "normal" stainless steel pipes direct from a lovely Italian lady at Zard italy, who speaks, reads and writes English....sold me directly the "open" pipes that have no Catalytic converters...still have lambda sensors in the front and rear headers, so the rear header needs a blanking plug as theres only one sensor on my Db5 and DB6....but 4GBP of SS blanking plugs from ebay solved that one...fitting the Db6 pipes at the moment....pipes didnt come in that finish, they;ve been ceramic coated inside and out to stay cool and clean....delicate stuff when fitting as they scratch easy but can be polished back...seen a Ducati that had it done a while back and his were 4 years old but looked like new...has a shiney polished alloy look to them....Will post up pictures when finished...you have you use your own cans,,,but if interested I can pass on details of the nice lady...took around 3 weeks from ordering until delivery...
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the cans on the SB6 coated with that finish
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And heres a few shots if part fitment onto db6r first, as that was part stripped down already...ss polished blanking plug fitted into rear header, as theres only a lambda sensor on the front header..

And heres the old pipes....

And heres one of the 'offensive' cats on the old system

Now just got two more link pipes, two end cans, a rear subframe, bodywork, electrics and seat to refit....then its Sound of Thunder time Laughing ....oh and same repeat process for the db5r also....
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
I had the cans on the SB6 coated with that finish

How long ago was that Evil? Do they still look the same, and what place did you use? Happy with my place but only time will tell... a week later than promised but not an issue...and finish better than I expected, especially around the spring clip fasteners, exhaust clamps etc....which are captive on the Zard headers so makes it a tad more difficult for spraying and polishing
brian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look really good Steve. How much cooler do they recon the pipes will run? Are they much heavier with the coating on them? Probably still lighter than the originals i suppose. They'll sound seriously good without the cats i recon Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They reckon cool enough that you can touch the headers at operating temperature...so shall see....This is part of the Spec for the stuff...evidently I've gne for "cermakrome" finish....As they grit blast clean before spray applying the finish, and as theres no Oversize Cats in the headers compared to standard...then I imagine lighter overall...didnt weigh before and after...but will do so with the Db5 system..hopefully get time to fit that this weekend...

BLACK SATIN Group 1
Advanced ceramic reinforced coating, which withstands 1,000oC.
Reduces manifold surface and under-bonnet temperatures.
Solvent-based requiring 400oC for full chemical curing.

CERMAKROME
Group 2
Metallic ceramic, which withstands 760oC.
Best corrosion protection of any exhaust coating.
Water-based requiring 260oC for one-hour oven curing temperature cycle
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch the headers when they're hot. I can brush my hand against them quickly to tell if the cylider's firing though.

Mine were Camcoated about 4 years ago ... maybe.

2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look good evil...i assume that's the satin black finish on the splitter to the cans?...looking for that over the winter for the db1 system...
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - obviously that was new but it look more or less the same now.

I did the downpipes too

CNC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, very nice job... Looks like jewellery!!!
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is one of the "Seven Deadly Sins" ...."Pipe Envy"?????? Wink
'98 Bimota SB6R #000016 "Sweet 16"
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the seven deadly sins are appropriate to Bimota ownership
wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony....yup all can occur Smile ...sloth being when they break down and waiting for answers or parts... Sad

As regards pipe envy...I was so impressed with the running after on the Db6R that I promptly rushed to fit the same to the Db5R also...

DB5R before stripping and during...

Old and new systems weighed....5.5 Lbs for new system, Old system with cats 6.5lbs...so even with ceramic coating inside and out, a weight saving...

And As i'd fitted the pipes to the DB6, I decided to buff and polish up the exposed start tubes for the End cans also, complete with springs of course...Can on left after first stage, can on right fresh off bike, no work done yet

First mop of coarse and grey wax done on one, other unfinished yet

And then the softer mop with green wax, followed by the final soft mop and blue wax..

And I also learnt something new...which is nice...first time I've had the DB5R apart really in 12 months of owning and riding...( afirst for me surely)...and found that the rear subframe on the DB5R's is nice welded alloy from end to end...and the fairing fixing bolts are titanium....will be checking those are nice and tight so that I dont lose any....

Now I fancy doing a few others...Db1 first though, but in black, satin, to get some heat out from under the bodywork...have to say am impressed, after a run and cool down of five minutes, you can grab and hold the headers...yet the tail cans cant be grabbed for anything like the same period...

Last edited by 2bims on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: