Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Somethings Coming............
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Oily,

the rear wheels already a 16" so you can't go much smaller without using a scooter tyre! The Paso uses the same tyre sizes and one bloke fitted a 150/80/16 wheel by extending the swinging arm by about 1/1/2" which seemed a bit extreme,

Happy New Year,

MikeJ
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

With the Paso the solution seems to be a spacer for the mount for the eccentric chain adjuster, moving it back and allowing a larger wheel. Don't think that would work on the DB1.

All the best

Keith
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Db1 finally turned up yesterday from its trip from Italy and its week long stay down south whilst I was on holiday.

GeeKay was there to witness the event, said he had nothing better to do anyhow. Even the grey skies held back the rain whilst it was unloaded.

Condition was far better than expected, despite grovelling around on the floor inspecting the underneaths, and with an impartial assistant, only a mere stone chip on the belly pan was found re the bodywork. The fibreglass is way thinker than more recent Bims, not even headlight frame spurs to brace the screen. Paintwork looked 2 foot thick, pearlescent white and green with solid red, Gorgeous.

Bike has a nice upgrade from 36mm Dell Ortos to square bodied 41mm flatslide Mikunis which I'm happy with, and the old airbox torturous routing has gone the way of open bellmouths.

Bike is now MOT'd, and Insured, FJ coming up trumps again for a mere 40GBP to add to the multi-classics policy for the rest of the year, barring their usual Admin Fee, So just got the V5 application at the DVLA on Monday to go through.

BIke is really teeny tiny, methinks a 12 year old could get their feet flat on the floor, will have to prop it up on bricks so girlie doesn't get the wrong idea that she is tall enough to ride it Laughing

Already made contact with the previous owner prior to it "holidaying" in Italy for 3 years, who bought it off a friend who had it for nearly 20 years from new as it was originally a UK bike, with correct headlight kick up.

Going to go over to previous owners house in UK some time as he has some spares for it, and previous Italian owner has given me an open invite to view his collection of some 50 bikes. Once again the Bimota owning fraternity amazes me with its open arms gestures.

Have a few spares already , and some coming, but in the meantime its full fluids change and belts, and perhaps pull the plugs, it really is that good.

Oh and have to modify that suicide auto flip up side stand, darn lethal. Laughing Surprised

Weather changed after offloading to typical Manchester "cats and dogs" as I was going for a Db line up, perhaps this weekend, weather permitting.
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 2Bims,

glad to hear that you've got it-hope the weather stays fine if you want to give it a thrash!

Cheers, MikeJ
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man 2 bims. Glad it arrived as good as it looked in the pics! Also nice to know that they are still out there and available Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Guys, now I know that the "how many left" website is unreliable, other than for new registrations due to everything now being "online" but theres no Db1's listed as being on the road.

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/combined/bimota_#!newreg

Worringly though 68 went "missing" in 2011 and this increased to 90 last year.....So overall a decline in UK Bimota Ownership, best snap up some more now.... Laughing

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=bimota

There are though 16 New Bimotas (or new registrations of Bimotas) being listed for 2012, of which I know of at least 12 brought into this country from this very Forum, so not bad coverage by the Forum really.

Current DB1's present condition is a testamount to previous owners, but methinks mainly due to the last 2 owners limited use, the last has over 50 other bikes, and the previous UK owner over 25 (although in both cases not all Bimotas, that would be just plain greedy) Thus limited time, weather constraints etc, limited mileage. DB1 has covered less than 1000 miles in the last 6 years itself, hoping to rectify this, lets all pray for that much missed Summer we all recall from yesteryear.... Laughing
brian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet... glad the db1 turned up safely 2bims. Geat too that you know the history of the bike and know the original owner.

Yes please... a db line up photo would be nice Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

off to see the previous UK owner today, who has some spares for the DB1 back from the days when he owned it, and looking at his collection also.

Been to the DVLA and registered the DB1 with its original UK registration plate, a C plate dating back to 1986, turns out the DVLA never properly formalised its export, so a "lost V5" was all that was needed to be paid, and it keeps its UK history, nice result, as it was first registered from new in the UK back in 1986.

Nice folk in the DVLA gave me noew MOT with the new/old number and a valid tax disc also.Hhhmmmm....onset of UK cold weather and old 16inch tyres from 2005,,,,,,Hhhmmmm,maybe just a short spin around the block eh??
brian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good result for you Steve. Yeah, you can't resist a quick fang on the new scoot Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She lives, she breaths and Jeeso, noisier and deeper crescendo than all the other BIms put together, watch out parked cars with alarms and Grannies with a nervous disposition crossing the road .

Turn Volume up to Max and click on below, please be patient and let your computer do the work, never ever use new smart phone for video clips....

(Note to self - NEVER use new New High Def Phone to take video, only ruddy 45 seconds long but 105 MEGABYTE, took an eternity to upload)

Only a few small issues to sort, fuel hoses working and leakproof, but "calcified over time" hard as ceramic, so these are getting changed. the "exhaust heat wrap" on the front down pipe seems to have refound life from that of a well used Oiley Rag and is stinking to high heaven, so will be renewed. Few electrical connectors that have seen better days and are being replaced, perished Fork dust seals are now being replaced with new from the Nice guys at MDINA Italia in Shipley, a sterling service from them on unobtainable parts.

Oils been changed, all other fluids, Belts, square toothed 58 and not round toothed, just have to wait for suuny dry days, especially as I'm having a nightmare finding new stock of 16inch tyres Crying or Very sad , but otherwise well Laughing Laughing Laughing
brian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that the earlier desmo's had square toothed belts Steve? Sounds like the 16" tyres might be an ongoing problem, a nice set of 17" mags would look nice on a db1 i recon. Then you can hang the originals on the wall of your shed as art Wink
brian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds good in the video Steve but i guess would sound even better in real life.

I do love that aluminium tank, very nice
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Brian, Computer speakers don't really do the sound justification, it sure is loud....heres hoping the local constabulary take kindly to it due to its age, beauty and rarity...time will tell.

Yeh early DB1's/Pantah engines had square toothed 58 belts, later had round toothed, fortunately Local Ducat shop still stocks them as a norm and cheap as well, same as on early 750/900 Monsters, so no need to change the cam belt rollers.

Tyres are like new, but being 2007 stamped they could do with being fresher, nice retor pattern that looks like they'd be good in the snow Laughing

Which is pretty much the lie of the land round here at the mo.... Crying or Very sad

Keeping her "stock" at the moment, maybe a few things to freshen but thats all, early DB1's had ally tanks and ally crankcase catch tanks, later models wnet ABS to save on production costs, not fussed either way, but a nice to have.

Did have my eye on some SS open pipes in Japan, but on running, I don't think theres a need, Ecky Thump... Cool Shocked

Nice "suck" from the flatslides also.

Need a few heat wraps for wires and other electrics, said to be hot under the tank as no ventilation and cabling shows signs of heat distress, last thing I want with fully enclosed bodywork is leccies or fuel lines going awol...wouldn't know until it became engulfed in flames....
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

congrats. on getting the deeber running-mine still has a long way to go! I've just managed to get the front wheel bearings out on mine and will be ordering a pair of new bearings for it. Then it's waiting for the front axle...anyhoo, with weather as it is at the moment, it's not too much hardship to stay indoors.

Sounds like the only way is Goldentyres-still only £400 a set!

Cheers, MikeJ
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mike and best of luck with yours , who did you use to get the tyres, i,m reluctant but i suppose they have the monopoly Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 14 of 36

Jump to: