Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

900SS Resto Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres lots of tips and on line Youtube clips also, "How to polish stainless steel" If seriously tarnished/blackened, then I sand down with not too coarse a grade emery paper, you don't watch to scratch deeply, and then go down with various grades of wet and dry, up and down and around the pipes, all directions. So nothing special so far. Then you need a metal polishing arbour and 3 polishing wheels, that consist of a coarse sizel stiched cotton wheel, used with grey compound wax, then a finer stitched cotton wheel with green wax compound then a polishing mop with blue wax compound, Nothing more needed other than a power drill fixed in a vice.
Just like these, but can be had for far less money
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polishing-Kit-all-Metal-Types-Min-750gms-Compound-/300477858265?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item45f5e041d9

Trick with the polishing kit is not to apply too much wax from the bar or else it just smears on the steel, so a second or 2 applied against a spinning mop wheel and then away you go. You''ll know when you need to apply more as the mop stops cleaning as well, little applied and often is the moto. They usually come with a bag of lime powder that wipe onto the pipe after each stage if you wish and they come up even better after that, talcom powder and even baking flour can also work. Evidently the exhausts will change colour again during use, but to start with they go Gold, and the likes of titanium goes blue, but still far better than rusty black/red IMHO Laughing

Kits come with step by step instructions anyhow. so why not give it a go?

You can get larger kits that have smaller arbours and smaller wheels also, for getting in to bends and nooks and crannies, works on alloy and SS
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another box in the post, can only be one of 2 things remaining from curret orders

Time to open the box...So many Christmas's so close to each other

Yep its a new dark tint screen from Skidmarx, far thicker and better finished and quality than when they sent me one for the DB2, and they threw in some some rubber well nuts also, so had to see if it fitted the NOS front replacment cowling
And due to the age of the bike, they have them on special offer, strange though, they still had to make it to rder as opposed to old stock, yet that didn't happen with my Db2 screen??

brian

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

Kits come with step by step instructions anyhow. so why not give it a go?

Yeah i might look into getting myself a kit. I've got a lot of cleaning up to do on the bike in general. The frame and engine are pretty dirty. At the moment i've got it back together and will enjoy riding it for a while before i pull it down for cleaning. Thanks for the tips 2bims
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was a sunny day, and start of a long weekend, so the pup was dragged out for final strip out of electrics, after painfully labelling what goes where and what earth connects where to hopefully at some time in the future same time in reinstalling Laughing

Carbs off and tubes also, fortunately no snapped bolts, bags of WD40 soaking over night and they came right off, all switchgear off clip ons, front wiring loom staying in place for now for when I swop it over to a spare front subframe thats been freshly powdercoated.

Tubes were looking a little manky so whilst they were off, quick clean
One of them heres had a quick clean

Time for a quick polish and ready for storage in the "clean room" AKA the dining room Laughing

Getting dark now so it must be time to order Pizza and crack a can or 2 Laughing

Have a few days off coming soon and then theres that "great" Bank Holiday for some bint that wheres a Crown? Hhuuh, bet she's getting paid for the day, more than can be siad for myself Crying or Very sad Anyhow, dry fit of panels and drilling for fixing holes, then its forks and wheels off, 2 engine bolts, 2 shock bolts, one swinging arm bolt, and lots of parts spread around for strip, powder coat and paint, BUT the grueling job of turning that engine into something that resembles how it came out of the factory 21 years ago still haunts me (Hopefully I can master putting paint on that stays on Laughing )
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

between you and I, and Oily, we should start up a bike recon service! Looking great. I get excited about saving the old beauties. What looks to be a pile of junk just needs time and application. I wonder how many bikes have been broken for parts that could have been cherished along the way. 90%?

Gives me my fix til I get some home time... cheers bud. Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could work well Pomps, evidently as long as we don't charge for time in sourcing parts, or any labour in stripping, refurbing, replacing, restoring, priming, painting and reinstallation, we could be on to a winner Laughing

Sunny day again, have son at home so no biking, so Pup time again, odds and sods and break out the Rattle can time

Sad looking Rectifier/Regulator (Already an Electrex RR51 so no need to change) needs a refresh

Etched for key, sanded, scrubbed, primed and silver coat for the bracket, to match the frame as will be, and Black heat proof enamel for the rectifier, few new bolts (Bargain pack from Aldi Laughing ) New SS allen key bolts will be preserved like for like on exposed sections.

And from the Back

Next up the Fuel filler cap before I forget how to put all the pieces back together again

(filler cap is masked off as I was going to keep the gold colour, but more of that later)
Now I tried a few things here, the outer steel ring, not a problem, rub down, prime, top silver coat and lacquer, sorted. But the inner ring with the allen key bots has a turned set of grooves, and a Gold filler cap. Tried etch coats and top coats, and some parts took to the grooves and some parts filled the grooves to the top, wasn't looking good. Broke out the Nitomors to strip all remaining paint bits off, back to base metal. Even took the gold part off as it wasn't anodised, just gold rattle can paint, decided that gold will not be a part of this bike.

Broke out the polishing wheels as the cap and outer circle are indeed aluminium alloy......

Yeh that will do Laughing All bits screwed and stuck back together..

Pompey

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ol' cagiva elephant. Had it on the back of my race leathers for a few years. Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, that little elephant appears in the indicators, cam belt covers and other little areas, saved Ducati from going down the plug hole, some would say a shame in itself, But perhaps it also saved Bimota from sinking also, as without one the other may not still be around? We'll never know eh?

Yet another sunny day so its mock up on the nose fairing, wings and screen. 3 pattern parts, and one Original NOS, so best dry fit before drilling and adjusting

Liking the look, side pieces on the wings needed filing down to match profile of the screen, best to do it now before it all goes off to the paint shop Laughing
This ones been done

This one needs profiling a little more to get a continuous sweep with the screen

And from the Front

And from the riders position, even had to drill the Darn Patent Mirror holes in the new mirrors as they wouldn't take the 6mm bolt they were supposed to take, always best to clear these things up first, rather than later, then it will be a more pleasurable job just plain bolting bits on

Well thats about it for today, few other bits that have been stripped and repainted, tank catches and hinges, wire mesh grill for nose fairing, surprising though that theres probably less than 10 brackets in total, everything else fits directly to the frame

Well time to push her away for a few days, just waiting for the seat unit (still) and then she can have the final 14 bolts removed to take the forks, wheels, swinging arm, shock and drop the engine, not far to go, Sympathy please from my Australian "colleagues" and their immense garages..... Laughing

Fortunately the DB4 is still awaiting its new wheels to be fitted so at least I have some space at the moment Laughing
brian

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Fortunately the DB4 is still awaiting its new wheels to be fitted so at least I have some space at the moment Laughing

Yes i was wondering where the hell you were hiding the db4 in there, that explains it. I feel much better about my little shed now Steve, thanks for the pic. The Duc is coming along nicely, this is shaping up to be another really good reference thread from you Steve. Keep up the good work!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think Steve. If you had a bigger garage, you would just HAVE to buy more Bimota's , so blessing in disguise really Very Happy
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a huge garden office shed with insulation etc to display/ store the bikes leaving the garage as a workshop for the projects... i'm sure the misses will understand? Surely?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entire front headlamp binnacle and front wiring loom has now been stripped off the old support frame and put onto a newly powder coated one I had lying around, far easier to relocate brackets, cables, connectors etc just swapping over one item at a time

New 3D carbon surround for twin clocks, and new carbon side panels also replacing naff plastic ones, a purpose and weight saving..

New single seat unit came also, sort of happy with it, great shape, more swoopy and not so old fashioned than the original SL version.
Dry fitting with tank

And with stickers on just for the look

Swoopy look from the back, theres a new narrower rear light coming also to give a slimmer tapered rear view

HHhhhmmmmm,,,,,,still liking the white wheels and frame but don't go with yellow bodywork, and don't want red bodywork.....Black and White monochrome, American Cop car look??? White number panel Nose, white number panels on the rear? Black bodywork with white frame, white wheels and black engine anyone????
A kind of hearse come wedding car colour combo??

Quick mock up courtesy of Microsoft "Paint"

Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

These '90-'98 frames had a tendency to crack at the steering head....is that a crack on the lower right rail where it welds to the steering tube?
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi desmo, long time no hear, hope the Mrs and the R1 are both back on the road to recovery. Its only been a few weeks since all the dirt and grime has been cleaned off and Yeh I'm aware of the cracking headstocks, snapping cylinder head bolts, and cracking swing arms at the pinch bolts on the engine mounts etc. All that I've found so far is ingrained dirt along the frame mount welds. I'll know better when the final bolts and engine are pulled and dropped and I'll give it a good look, then when its shotblasted clean will be the true time to tell, but thanks for the heads-up. Time and expense so far means I'll be keeping it for a while so have to make sure all is well thats for sure. Still riding the DB2 or is she playing games again? Update on the Mrs?
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
All that I've found so far is ingrained dirt along the frame mount welds.

I was hoping that was all it may have been by the way it seemed to follow the weld. It seems that a lot of them had the cracks start from the holes for the VIN plate, too.

2bims wrote:
I'll give it a good look, then when its shotblasted clean will be the true time to tell, but thanks for the heads-up.

Because they are prone to cracking, it may not hurt to get that area magnafluxed once the paint is removed, just as a precaution.

2bims wrote:
Still riding the DB2 or is she playing games again? Update on the Mrs?

I haven't looked at the DB2 since before the wife's accident and it's just collecting dust. Matter of fact, I haven't ridden a bike in 12 weeks.

The wife is doing better. She's out of the wheelchair and walking, again, but they had to do another surgery on her shoulder last Tuesday. She isn't supposed to use it for another 6 weeks. There is still a chance of at least one more surgery on her knee, too, but it is too early to tell. It appears that her spring and summer are shot to hell. I will need to start riding again, just to rotate the bikes and keep them running. I haven't touched the R1 in about 5 weeks. All I need to do is install the new steering head bearings and front end assembly, and then take it to get the frame checked out. I keep wanting to install the front end, but haven't been too motivated to do it, lately.

On a side note, I started messing around with tracking down my genealogy a couple of weeks ago. Looks like I'm a pure-bred mutt. Laughing I have ancestors from England, Wales, Sweden, Scotland, Germany, and Slovakia from what I've discovered so far. No Italian, though. Does this mean I need to start buying BSA, Norton, Triumph, and BMW bikes? The electrics on my DB2 make me think it is part British. Shocked Razz Razz Razz
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: