Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

900SS Resto Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
Roll on August so I can finish my 888 and start the db2 in earnest... yours will be well worth every effort

Cheers Pomps, heres Hoping, I presume you are having a "year Off?" it will be needed for the Projects you keep acquiring Laughing

Last edited by 2bims on Thu May 17, 2012 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Those Kamna parts look good 2bim's, hopefully the quality is worth the extra cost.
I can see with all the effort up are putting in this is going to be one NICE H/F 900ss when its finished.

Hopefully so, I would like it to look "new" and like something that Ducati have just made as a "retro", and then use it wherever and whenever, just so folk can be surprised that I ride it on the road, I get the same with Big Bird and the DB2 and the 750Ssie, as they are all very clean and shiney examples, yet each one has been for weekends away with panniers etc, parked outside Hotels (yes Outside), bikes are to be cherished but also used. If the "to be used" part ever fails me then I'll sell the lot, afterall they have engines, wheels and brakes, thus there is a primary purpose in them being made
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

do you work on your engines from the inside too?-save stripping them down Laughing That injected SS of yours looks pretty neat too. The DB's taking much longer than your Duke but slow and steady does it. I'm going to turn up some oil seal carriers for the swinging arm pivot bearing and get a local aircraft welder to fit them. Meanwhile the old R80s been dragged out for the occasional bimble. I tied sitting on a Triumph Sprint yesterday-boy those things are top heavy after the Bims!

Cheers, MikeJ
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Jennings wrote:
Hello Steve,

do you work on your engines from the inside too?-save stripping them down Laughing That injected SS of yours looks pretty neat too. The DB's taking much longer than your Duke but slow and steady does it. I'm going to turn up some oil seal carriers for the swinging arm pivot bearing and get a local aircraft welder to fit them. Meanwhile the old R80s been dragged out for the occasional bimble. I tied sitting on a Triumph Sprint yesterday-boy those things are top heavy after the Bims!

Cheers, MikeJ

Not just top Heavy, but pure heavy. The DB2 and 4 feel a heck of a lot lighter pulling them out of the garage just compared to the Ducati. Although I have to say the stripdown Pup feels like a feather at the moment like an old 125, excess plastic, rear footpegs, heavy zorsts etc sure do weigh a ton in comparison. Must weigh up replacement parts v the old, reckon theres 6Kilos alone in the difference between the exhausts and hangers
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still waiting for the "I ruined a DB4 by fitting gold wheels" pics? Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
still waiting for the "I ruined a DB4 by fitting gold wheels" pics? Very Happy

Is the Mock up picture not enough??? It may be enough for me, only time and dark nights and dark sunglasses will tell. Evidently It will be in another thread. Bike is in for fitting of the wheels and change over of tyres as we speak, But Ducati Manchester have just had 20 Pantyliners dropped off for new buyers that have already paid, and my simple little Bimotas take 2nd place in the hierarchy I'm afraid, the pantypads have to be assembled, fluided up and test run and registered for customers to pick up. I'm hoping that they don't use them that much as they'll all be bcak for Warranty repairs and my bike will never get done otherwise. Don't fear though Garry, pictures will be posted, you know we both share the trait of "no shame" Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeso....Watch out for the Olympics, theres an italian thats more Speedy Gonzales than Ussain Bolt.

Got home today, knock at the door, delivery from Italy....Only ordered and paid last Saturday, yes a more 5 days ago, ordered on a Saturday from Italy and arrived in not so sunny Manchester this afternoon, postage cost???? For such Speedy Service??? 20GBP

Box in hall, couldn't be bothered rootating image, too keen to open it

Piccies now OK in loading, , have to measure items again just to be sure for the 10th time they are right..

Who mocks the Italians for their speed and efficiency. Bought a new rear brake master cylinder and it came with the remote pot reservoir, rubber tubing, clips, fluid in the reservoir AND a braided sheathed brake line and banjos!!! Had none of those in the picture thats for sure! And theres me who has just ordered a rear Goodridge braided brake hose, may try to cancel. Doh!!

New Brembo gold Rear brake Caliper and Master cylinder front brake, complete with switch, pot, bracket, spare bracket with bolts and section in case I fit a wing mirror, and the reservoir had fluids in again. Methinks theres some bloke stranded somewhere on the road side with no front or rear brakes on his bike. New Old Stock Showa forks also, brand new never fitted, TOP TOP seller

Last edited by 2bims on Thu May 17, 2012 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect, fortune favours the brave!

Laughing
brian

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drool drool Shocked
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the British Summer week has at long last arrived, thus its been biking time on Sunday (Big bird came out to play), and today has been Ducati day. Not much work on the "Pup" but took time this evening with the long nights to clean up the headers

Heres a quick before of the pipes, don't look like they are worth saving, but appearances can be deceptive

20 years of grime and corrossion and British Winters (bike had done 4-5,000 miles a year each year for 5 years on a daily commute to work)

So it was pan scourers, pan cleaners, brillo pads, followed by black and decker sanders, followed by wet and dry, various grades, followed by 3 polishing mops, grey, green and blue waxes for each stage. The headers will be fully on show with the stripped down look so I wasn't having them in their current state on the bike

And finished article ...

Always on the cooker Hob, backlit and contrast with the tiles, good job I don't do much cooking on it Laughing

HAve to say, that the labourious hard work of cleaning stripping and prepping for paint is now upon me after the stripdown. Summery nights though are going to be spent riding when I can, thus excuse me if theres a "lull" in posts on this item.
Anyone else booked the ferry for next years Isle of Man today??? Bookings on sale today. Catch them while you can, only around for a week or so...
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 /10 2bims ... I confess I painted mine black!
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeh, would have been the quicker solution, but on your 888 at least they are covered by the fairing. Theres no hiding lurking Gremlins on an unfaired version, which wouldn't really suit the 888's with their plumbing and that side slung battery Laughing
I consider it like a faily workout due to its labour intensive requirements, and cheaper than the Gym.

Pipes will at some time get replaced by Sil headers to tune up the Open can high level titanium Termis that I have, but thats for the future, the spend is what it is for now. At least get it up and running and see what falls apart/breaks first before such further expenditure
brian

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a lot of work went into those pipes Steve. They look fantastic. Cool
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Brian, fortunately the Italians use stainless steel tubing for the pipes, unlike their Japanese rivals, thus most grades of corrosion don't go too deep

Here was the DB2 before and after, although the headers are Bimotas own as opposed to Ducati, but they still use SS.

AND AFTER

And I just may have done it for the DB4 Also Laughing

And maybe I did it on my other Duc and perhaps the KTM also, but thats it, I swear no more, UhUh no way Laughing

Suprising thing is (other than the extortionate waste of time some would say Laughing ) that this is all from just one set of cleaning mops and wax compounds, still less than half used, so plenty left for more bikes?

Ooppss, almost forgot, I did the YB11 headers also, a nice before and after shot

brian

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headers on my db4 look in about the same nick as the ones on your duc. This gives me some hope. I'd like to clean them up like your but really have no idea how to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: