Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Historic Write up of DB2 Rebuild/Re-commission, 2010 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Top tip for paint touch up Reply with quote

Now for anyone with a red framed Db2, eh, yeh, don't all step forward at once.. the frames are powder coated (I heard the first on production bikes, but then that would be hearsay, I'm afraid Oiley may put his back out from continually reaching for his soap box if I state otherwise Cool ) , which is great for preventing rust, Bimota being one of the first bike makers to use this process, but rather than strip the entire frame off and recoat I have been using this product which is an exact colour match, once dried I can't see which bit I've touched up, although I do use a quality artists brush rather than the one supplied with the pack

The drop outs were chipped on the edges, but not anymore
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good int! I have been wondering about powder coating my frame red but haven't got the time this winter due to other commitments. So just going to spruce her up a bit this time around and sort out the bodywork and paintjob first. At least I can then ride it on my 20 days off in April. ( Which is all I get until August!) Crying or Very sad
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you pair of cheap skates........
How could you not powder coat your frames Shocked

The only decent bits on the bikes and that's the bit your skimping on Rolling Eyes
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:

The only decent bits on the bikes and that's the bit your skimping on Rolling Eyes

Well hardly skimping, arguments are several fold.
1. I had never ridden a Db2 and wanted to ride it for the Summer, so mechanically sorted it for that, with promise of future stripdown. Bike was actually picked up from the MOT station on July 21st, my birthday, an ideal Birthday present and ideal for the start of the now very short summers we seem to have
2. Yeh, cheapskate, saving now for later
3. The frame has faded sections where exposed to the sun, other than the swingarm for some reason thats factory fresh. Previous owner used to train it to France and then ride down and around Northern spain and South of France and its been sun bleached, which for now gies it a certain aged patina that I quite like
4. If the whole bike was immaculate would I take it away on weekends and leave it in carparks, or even ride it in the first place?
5. and most importantly, I only have the one DB2 so keep it for use when I can, its not like I have one for each day of the week, with a spare being refurbished one at a time Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
oily wrote:

I only have the one DB2 so keep it for use when I can, its not like I have one for each day of the week, with a spare being refurbished one at a time Laughing

Yeah, Yeah........
Any excuse, I know you've more than one bike and let's face it, you did have two Bimota's but were daft enough to let one go even if it was a YB Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any excuse? I'd have thought that five were enough. But you hit the nail on the head, just the one Bimota. The YB11, with the engine ork done on that was putting out 170bhp at the back wheel, and all that from an already light bike, 1040 big bore kit, Keihin FCR41 flat slides, gas flowed polished head again, titanium crank rods, 6 speed short shift gear box in lieu of the 5 speed standard and carbon fibre dymag wheels, all on a 90's bike. Darn thing would do 95mph in first gear, and whilst highly addictive it was so to the point where I was 20 years of age again, without care nor responsibility, i.e.lose license, lose job, lose life, lose someone elses life etc. The Db2 and other bikes have enough real world power for me nowadays.
On sunny and not so sunny days, the Db2 comes out, if the Mrs is around she takes the Kwack Big Bird, or when she's up for crouching the Ducati. When we go away for a few days, she takes Big Bird and I load up the KTM. If I pop over to hers its on the Kwack and she brings out her Monster s4R. So all things for all occassions, and it only took 5 bikes to sort it. Seems complicated, but seems to work

Last edited by 2bims on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: And we're back to the Refurb again Reply with quote

Now some folk may mock Bimotas from time to time, design, engineering etc, but they did at least concentrate on handling, especially road clearance to stop grounding. Here is how Ducati feed their front header pipe under the crank, plenty of space for seagulls to fly through the gap

and this is how Bimota feed the front header, its so close that the bottom crankcase bolts can't be reached without taking off the pipe. And then they cut the bodywork out to allow it to protrude through

Oh yes and if you look up top left above you'll see the faded dirty plastic sheath on the SS line to the remote adjuster on the Ohlins rear shock.

Quick trip down to Tandy R us and 6 goddarn metres of the stuff was picked up for 3 squid, enough for another 20 Bimotas, old plastic gone, new installed. They call it cable tidy, I call it a bargain and identical to the original, cut to size. Stops the SS sheathing rubbing/chaffing against the coils of the spring

2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Only a few bits and pieces left.... Reply with quote

Sort of coming to a close, until the next chapter, the plastic fuel tank hidden beneath the tank/seat unit, has a captive ferrule on its front face , around which a rubber strap fits to tie it down, although pretty well held by the bolted on top unit I must say. Evidently this had long since perished and as a "stop gap" a large rubber wrist band from the local swimming pool Sunday session, has been wrapped around itself on the frame cross rail and this hooks very nicely and stongly onto the ferrule. Jod Done methinks for that (rubber band top right of picture, sturdy and colour matched Laughing )

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a tiny little lock that is beind the riders seat with a snug compartment, and matching key for the dummy alloy filler cap. Mine had a crack in the key, and only one key. Helpful lady at Timpsons said she didn't have a blank for it but took a photocopy of both sides and said "I'll give you a call"
Well she did indeed call, and 2 new keys were produced. I had to wait 10 minutes as they were busy so she said I could have them for free for being so patient, feeling charitable, I put the cost in their charity collection box, "save the hamsters" or some such
For anyone that needs a new lock or wants to match keys to 2 same locks, pop to any classic car show, the tumblers for the locks are the same as used on 1950-60's car glove boxes. Hell, no point in re-inventing the wheel

Oh and Don't worry about the slightly tarnished hex bolts surrounding the fuel cap, they've now been replaced with SS, took me a whiles to find the right fit

Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Dont feed into it 2bims! No excuses from this call sign ... My Db 2 is in no where near as good nick as when you picked yours up so time is the issue. Oh, plus I am also putting an endurance ducati 851 together and fettling the blade and, and , and ahhhh. Where has this week gone already! Crying or Very sad
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few little arty shots to perhaps close??? Kind of like a musical interlude, but without the music Smile

Now again, don't worry about the tarnished bolts securing the oil cooler, or the 2 dark ones inbetween on the valve cover, these were "specials" and had to be cut down from new to the right length .

philfingers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! I need to do the paint on my Superlight engine, it's a version of silver as standard on an SLIII. you're right it flakes off like you wouldn't believe. Not helped by 2 years in a turf shed in Ireland!
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh its a common issue, even on the Mrs Monster S4R and thats a 2006 model, they may have style and looks, but still weren't up to the Far East standards for quality for sure.

Well I'm glad I got a replacement set of model matching brenbo discs with correct rotors, and centres, they sure do look fine, and gotta love that tinkle rattle of the full floating bobbins

New Alloy bobbins procured and fitted for easy front wheel lifting, never keen on head stands

Last edited by 2bims on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And back to the none musical, musical interlude, arty bit...

And here she was with her Big Brother

Times were now being spent riding, whenever possible, journeying further and further afield, even my "muscle memory" was starting to get used to the riding position, takes a few months for us Old guys, the old dear just loves the seaside, please note seagull flying by, took ages waiting for that.

And she loves the harbour and the fishing boats

Equally at "home" meeting up with other Forum members

And even the "Great North Meet" aka GeeKay, Vort, BimotaNige and myself, a gaggle of 4 Bims, or Quattro Bimota bellisimo!

And out with the missey, she took the Duc, would love to take the DB2 and is insured for it, but, oh what a shame, her legs are too short, Boo Hoo everybody, please

2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it hasn't been all sweetness and light but not bad for a 17 year old thats been, stood for 8 years and for a UK Bimota with some 12500 miles on the clock.(can be seen as relatively high - unless you're German, in which case, just run-in)

Shes done nearly 2,000 miles since the first MOT, and has now flown through her second MOT again. I did have a front brake light switch go AWOL, typical Caccy Brembo thing, so replaced it, only then to have the seals go on the master cylinder front brake. Whole New unit was procured that came with its own new brake light switch, Doh, and its a different fitting so I've not even got a spare out of it.

Oil and filter were changed out after 500 miles under her belt, just to get rid of any crud that would have worked loose after all the years being 'stored", Uhhhh....and would you believe thats it, nothing else has broken, gone wrong or worn out in 2,000 miles. The "new" battery I first fitted was a cheapo lead acid, non sealed version so this has now been changed for a higher cranking sealed jobbie, well worth the extra, if only to stop me from having to repaint the battery box for a third or 4th time, from leaks from the old battery.

Fuel filter has been changed from cheapo plastic version astride the cylinders to a chromed hardened glass version with nylon washable internal filter, it gets darn hot inside that fairing, you can see the fuel flowing when ignition is on and pump ticking which is always reassuring.

A Crankcase breather filter fitted

And although I will open myself up to Bling King comments, I did fit some pre-load clamp adjustors as I am still fiddling with the suspension, and perhaps some anodised reservoir caps, but thats it, Honest, no more

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: