Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Historic Write up of DB2 Rebuild/Re-commission, 2010 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philfingers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my Edwards rep grazing on late winter grass. . . .. . having just exited the conservatory.. . . .

03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Phil, melikes, so it is the "faster" yellow version, shame about that faded front guard, you should find a way to sort that really Laughing

I do like my yellow, so in reciprication, heres my Yellow SuperHeavy, Mk1

Not too dissimilar, polished rims, polished braced swing arm, and as Oily may have said once, perhaps twice?, the right number of cylinders also Laughing Oh and the odd extra 50 kilos or so
stockcar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always fancied a s/light, not sure why i have never bought one but then i'm similiar to mr.oily in that pretty much all of my "big" bikes have had the "right" amount of cylinders Laughing

excepting the TL1000 s/fighter and my Husky TE converted to supermoto spec, and an older XT600E
philfingers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they go and handle well for 80hp. it'a a nice usable amount of power
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing to right Phil, i took the db2 out for 200 miles this sunday and it was pulling wheelies through 2 and 3rd easily. power means nothing without handling unless you are on the santapod strip!
philfingers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, you should have come up here, I went for a run to Wales on Sunday on the NC, did about 220 miles. I invited oily but he was off to some food show.. . .
Maybe we should do something when the better weather returns
PS uploaded some more pics of my Superlight to http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z143/oilphiluk/Ducati%20900%20Superlight/

and I do like yellow things, you can see my 2yr in the passenger seat looked mighty pleased when we called around to see Oily, lucky he'd put the chains up because I usually park on his grass Smile
More pics here http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z143/oilphiluk/Sylva%20Phoenix/

Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I can see Oily must be out as his Toyota Surf is normally in the drive ...
philfingers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His butler gave me some cock and bull about him being off shooting grouse in Scotland. I knew the bugger was in, I could here the off beat growl of his SB6 triple. .. . So Billy and I nipped back later and poached some of the carp out of his moat
he leads you on with that old Toyota, it belongs to his gardener
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows how bright you are........
haven't got a moat, that's the septic tank Laughing

enjoy the carp Wink
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S........
After hearing Pompeys trumpet triple i thought I want one of them but being tight I thought I'd covert the 6R. Didn't like it, now put the 4th plug back in Wink

Lovely day, missus at work, pot belly lit, steaming mug of tea............
time for a couple of hours spring cleaning this old SB6 Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they go and handle well for 80hp. it'a a nice usable amount of power

Think that is the attraction of the 900cc engine, simply and with usable power. Have embarressed many an R1 on the DB4. He may be buzz lightyear with hyperdrive down the straights but get to a corner and he has to stop to put it in rain mode before he can attempt to go off vertical.

Don't get me wrong, ride one around town and you will be willing to park it in the nearest canal and walk home, but get them in the country and give them a breath of fresh air, and they will be your best mate again.

4 cylinders do have there place, why do you think I bought 2bims YB11, yep, commute to work !!
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Back on track Reply with quote

Welcome again readers, started the rebuild thread again, lost the darn thing somehow, so hear goes again.

Well bike was collected and insured and little by little ran more and more, taking it easy as it hadn't ran for nearly 8 years.

Bit by bit, mile by mile, she bcame more alive, hiccuping and sticking occassionally, first at 5 thou, then 6, then 7 and now after a rake more miles, she pulls clean past 9 thou before falling off, a first for me with a Ducati engined bike for sure usually theres a cliff edge at 7 thou and no reference is ever needed to the tacho when riding

Kill switch was becoming problemsome, sometimes working, sometimes working but when asked not to, still working. Little Italian electircal gremlins playing their jokes Twisted Evil

A new Ducati 900SS repalcement was procured, and on day of delivery the old one pulled its pants up and refused to malfunction ever since, so another spare part added to the pile.

Backlit bulb of speedo was like a little flickering Xmas tree light, and yeh I know coz I was still riding it at night even during the summer months. Again little by little, its gotten better and is now fully op.

I was getting more and more used to the bike, tyres had done their 100 mile scrub in, together with new pads and discs, yet there were elements of the bike that I knew I wanted to improve, weather just aesthetically or not, even though the engine was entirely shrouded by the fairing, the bits that weren't visible I still knew about and wanted to rectify. Problem was though I wanted to ride the bike, it was what it was made for, and the reason I bought it. Hence further work carried out one item at a time, to ensure maximum riding time.

The first Post MOT success refurb was off with the zorsts, fortunately the front header was scuff and dent free from speed bumps, helped by Bimota cutting it up tight and flush with the bottom of the crankcase.
Before picture

Now some folk may think that its OTT to polish, each to their own, my own copy of the DB2 brochure shows nice shiney headers with a gold tinge, that relates to polished SS thats had a few hundred miles under its belt and goes a sort of 18 karat gold version, like it or loathe it, its a marmite moment, and something I'm partial to.
Previous owner had replaced the back end 2:1, 1:2 link pipes and the end cans with a straight through oversized Corse titanium system. Shame on previous owner for omitting the headers from his purchase, although the back end pieces were over a grand some 15 years ago, Ouch!

I left the underside pipes and cans as were other than a clean and normal polish as the end cans were a nice satin finish, that I was more than happy with

The end cans are fittted with SS jubilee clips to the standard bracket that bolts to the rear subframe, I could drill and pop rivet it permanently in place, but with the years that those clips have been in place I bet they have creased the titantium end cans for sure, so happy enough with them as they are.
The little Corse plate on the end cans is actually an enamalled brass plate, thus for the first time ever on a motorbike I had to get my Brasso out to polish the edge of the plate back to new...

First stage of headers polish is various grades of wet and dry 500 up to 1500 with warm soapy water used at latter stages, then its power drill mops and waxes stage. Sisel mop first with grey polish, then stitched mop with grey then cotton polish mop with blue, I like the transformation that each stage undertakes, its a marmite thing, like it or loathe it, I like it, very therapeutic, but I don't like Marmite Evil or Very Mad
Part stage with after and some to do

And when fitted back to the bike, complete with new SS bolts, the header clamps were wire brushed back and painted engine black, the start of many more SS bolts to come..

Brushes also work well on alloy parts

Last edited by 2bims on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: And some more, aint losing the thread due to windows again! Reply with quote

The polish mop is a bit of a thing of mine, works well with most things, even oil line ferruled ends and the banjo bolts etc, but only the first mop is needed

First used it on my Ducati, although their pipes are more one piece than segmental, so a bit of a pain to handle when polishing

Before on Ducati

And after

Together with more useful cooker stand use for indoor maintenance

thought about sticking candles in this one for the centre display on the Christmas table... Laughing

Last edited by 2bims on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mops even work on the SS spring clips holding the exhaust sections together, I nearely bought new ones when I first saw the condition, but they cleaned up a treat.
Oh whilst I'm at it, anyone know the implications of the "Race use only" on the keihin FCR41 flatslides? Is this an American thing, or would British PC Plod be interested also??

I suppose if he's not interested in the carbs maybe the straight through end pipes may catch his attention if he has a torch (Please note picture is larger than actual, its not a souped up Renault Clio for chrissakes)

Yes Officer I'm sure theres a baffle in there somewhere, What? can I push a stick down there to check? Oh no sir it may get stuck
Where are the Eu stickers sir?. Uuhh Dunno, its a factory standard Corse system officer, look it says it on the fairing "Corse"

And on the wheels Office also, must be factory standard exhausts Officer

Quite like the little Bimota Corse stickers, I put them on to finish the wheels and help me park my bike in the right place when wanting to put air in the tyres, I put the stickers where the tyre valves are located

Last edited by 2bims on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Good Old Ducati workmanship Reply with quote

Now any Ducati owner, or Bimota owner with a DB series will already know that the paint used on the engines fresh from the factory only has to be sneezed at by an asthmatic flea to start flaking off, and certainly isn't designed for our British winters. this coupled with a design on the clutch slave cylinder, that was known to blow a seal, pushing clutch fluid into the engine casing, thus they manufactured the cylinder with a hole to allow it to leak out all over your engine casings if it failed, Well a case of better in than out. But my DB2 was not an escapee of this failing. This is the only (part) photo that I have of "before"

I didn't realise that subconsciously I had not taken more photos of the damage, ashamed of the damage done. Slave cyclinder had been replaced and was leak free so I engaged the service of the asthmatic flea to cough and blow the remaining paint off, onl took him 5 minutes but I paid him with a 30 minute session on the Mrs pillow, ever so generous.
Area cleaned (i.e. whole left side crankcase), etched with scouring pad, sprayed with etch cost and then several layers of top coat, Crankcase back on to newish condition with new SS bolts. I kept the paint off the cover plate as I quite liked the way it came to shine.

Last edited by 2bims on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: