Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Historic Write up of DB2 Rebuild/Re-commission, 2010 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
That was a great find. Very useful pics for mine to try to get it into shape, keep em coming!

Will do Pompey, and if any other details needed give me a shout, some 300 snaps or so taken overall, and bodywork off and back on so many times I forget, to sort one issue or another, manuals no use so had to resort to before pictures to reassemble after.
philfingers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great. Looking forward to seeing the YB build and see what's been done to the motor too. Your missus is very understanding with wheel and other bits on the cooker. I put my discs which i just painted off my NC in the oven the other week when my missus was out and there was solvent trap in the paint, the buggers all bubbled up!
I'm interested how you managed to do the laquer on the carbon. My Ducati Superlight front mudguard needs doing and i've tried once before, rubbed it all down and laquered it but I got pits in some places from the weave. I asked a painter to do it for me and he refused saying it was very tricky.
Whilst I hate paintwork it's very rewarding to get right. I have compressor and a gun etc, what do you suggest?
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
djt77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i just add how fantastic it is reading these kind of posts by people who rescue bikes (not just Bimota) she looks fantastic and for some silly reason i now find myself needing to own a DB2, and its all your fault!!!

Guess better start the search now as last one took me over a year to get.....
MARTIN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god !!! 2 bims what prose, think I have fallen in love with the italian beauty myself and I have never met her, one of her sisters whom
resides with me better not hear that or I am in trouble Laughing

(00) SB6 (95) HD FXDWG STRETCH (01)GSXR1000K1
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philfingers wrote:

I'm interested how you managed to do the laquer on the carbon. My Ducati Superlight front mudguard needs doing and i've tried once before, rubbed it all down and laquered it but I got pits in some places from the weave. I asked a painter to do it for me and he refused saying it was very tricky.
Whilst I hate paintwork it's very rewarding to get right. I have compressor and a gun etc, what do you suggest?

I came across this problem years ago and what we see as "gone flat" is how they come out of the mould Wink

Tried lacquering a front mudguard once and that was full of pits, apparently because of all the polish that had worked it's way into the weave over the years trying to get a shine. You must get the surface scrupulously clean to avoid "fish eyes". I too would like to know how you managed it 2bims Wink
Keep up the posting, the forum has never been so rich in re-builds, maybe encourage more people to post Wink
philfingers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carbon on my YB11 was redone by the previous owner and as you've seen Oily they ( http://www.4th-dimension.co.uk/ ) made a lovely job of it. No idea what the cost was tho. I'd like the carbon on my Superlight to look the same really but I'd rather do it myself if possible
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philfingers wrote:
I'd like the carbon on my Superlight to look the same really but I'd rather do it myself if possible

Is that because your so tight?
Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARTIN wrote:
My god !!! 2 bims what prose, think I have fallen in love with the italian beauty myself and I have never met her, one of her sisters whom
resides with me better not hear that or I am in trouble Laughing

Thanks Martin for your kind words, I would love to see her sister that resides with you, from recollection there's no picture posted on the Forum of her? Just dreaming of a menage a trois, picture would help Razz Theres pictures of GeeKays 916 inspired DB2, now passed over but don't know of any others in UK other than MadasFook's that went down south and has now made its way up North again to one of the lads here on the Forum
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:
philfingers wrote:
I'd like the carbon on my Superlight to look the same really but I'd rather do it myself if possible

Is that because your so tight?
Laughing

Thats more a Northern Trait like with myself. Cool Reason for myself, much like with you I imagine Oily, is that its fine to send stuff off to folk to sort and take problems away, but much more rewarding to try it yourself and achieve a result that you're happy with and the joy that that brings in itself, each time you look at the work it satisfies more to know you did it yourself.

With the carbon guards and the carbon mirrors, they were given a good clean first and then rather gently rubbed down in the direction of the fibre quilt, and across with various reducing grades of wet and dry and copious quantities of warm soapy water, starting at around 500 grade (used sheets though) and going down to 1500 grade eventually. Allow to thoroughly dry after having cleaned, then I used wipe clean clothes for paint preparation. The resultant effect was achieved by aerosol lacquer cans from your local Halfords. Lacquer is a bugger to use though and too thick a layer can easily be applied causing runs, especially when applied to such curved surfaces such as guards. I did paint them outside on a medium warm day with wheelie bins holding them nicely in place, and several layers were applied allowing the alloted time between coats as noted on the tin, usually 20 mins. Can was inverted and sprayed "clear" between coats and shaken rigourously before spraying and during. Just take your time, and without distractions, don't apply too closely to the surface or too far away. Follow the directions, its a very "unmanly" thing to do to actually read them let alone follow them but the results show for themselves. Rushing a couple of the times on the rear guard did mean I had runs and thus wetted and dried it back off twice before it had set (takes several days to harden properly). When completed, don't worry if its not quite shiney shiney, just allow it to harden fully, keep in a warm room, try to leave for a week, then you can use polish cut to rub back and flatten, and then a good grade of car polish to buff and shine it up.The mirrors were the hardest due to their shape and masking off the lens beforehand. There is a small hole for an allen key to release the lens but I was too nervous once I tried to loosen it in case it snapped and somethin broke, so masking it was. The Bimota 'b" on the front guard was lightly wet and dried over to merely cut back the lacquer rather then cut into the transfer, just don't get carried away
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Wink
I try and do everything myself due to lack of funds Wink
I would do the powdercoating myself but SWMBO says I can't use her oven Shocked
The machining on the dymags was only farmed out because my milling machine is too small etc. etc Wink
MARTIN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is not a DB but an SB so maybe not a twin sister

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=53442X9038

(00) SB6 (95) HD FXDWG STRETCH (01)GSXR1000K1
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARTIN wrote:

ah ha........the pretty sister Laughing

(and the correct amount of cylinders Laughing )
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:
MARTIN wrote:

ah ha........the pretty sister Laughing

(and the correct amount of cylinders Laughing )

Prettier that is if you are partial to the extra girth, weight, wailey screaming, and hairy chests that is , Tee Hee, each to their own
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give me screaming over rattling anyday Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philfingers wrote:
. Your missus is very understanding with wheel and other bits on the cooker. I put my discs which i just painted off my NC in the oven the other week when my missus was out and there was solvent trap in the paint, the buggers all bubbled up!

I'll think about a follow up on the YB11, after finishing the DB2 write-up, although bike has now passed to another on this Forum. The "Mrs" is long since forgotten, whilst the present Mrs has her own place, but is a fellow biker herself, graduating from a 600 Bandit to a Monster S4R so very understandable about bike bits all over the house, well it is my house anyhow. And when over my way she takes the ZRX1100 for spins and the 750SS also when we go away for long weekends etc. No problems then as such. (Although mid way through both bikes the entire ground floor and one bedroom had various parts in there in various states of prep, even I was getting fed up)
I've also heard that dishwashers are fantastic for getting engine parts clean and degreased, and for rear reflectors, indicator lens etc, mild abrasive deep cleansing, although word of warning, haven't tried it myself, not so sure "Aldi" tablets would be suitable for Bimota parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: