Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

boxing clever

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: boxing clever Reply with quote

Its a slow burn for sure but not totally inactive (that could be me or the project I'm not sure)

Anyway......
I wanted to use a LiFePo battery on this build but with the correct specs the Magnetti Marrelli item wouldnt fit in the OE battery box (too wide but lower and less deep)

As the OE case is quite heavy anyway I thought I might have a go at fabricating a new battery case from alloy sheet.

One thing I noted when looking at the OE box was although the front support stay is central on the box the main stay/support at the back (that attaches to the cyl head) isn't as it has to allow for the offset of the rear cyl from the frame c/l. With the battery having to fit up into the underside of the fuel tank I would certainly have to get the positioing of that bracket spot on!

Step 1 Wrap new battery in card to make a template (not forgetting templates for all the brackets .

Step 2 transfer template dims and markings to alloy sheet. (remembering to add allowances for foam lining)

Step 3 Make up a wooden 'buck' the same size as the battery to form the alloy around

Step 4 Cut out all the pieces and start forming around the wooden buck

I did several trial fits with the back support in place (double sided tape!) to be confident that everything would line up with the space in the fuel tank bottom

Step 5 Take the bits to someone with a TIG welder and ask them to please weld it all together!

Step 6 Add some foam to ensure a nice tight fit and install on the bike; cursing only slightly (!) when you notice that your welder mate has picked up the wrong positioning mark for the front stay!

Step 7 (Take a break and a walk around the garden)

Step 8 Return to garage and find that with slight bending of bracket that it can do its job (not the ideal solution but its functional and its under the tank anyway)

Step 9 Install battery and check that the tank fits on OK! (It does!!)

Result:
Before OE Box 610g and battery 5300g total 5.91kg
Now New Box 230g and battery 1100g total 1.33 kg
Saving 4.5kg or just under 3% of bike's total original weight.

What would I do differently?
-use thinner alloy sheet but maybe slightly harder grade (the thicker sheet is harder to bend to exact small radius turns without proper equipment) I used 2mm 1.5 (poss 1.2mm) would be fine as battery weighs so little
- get a good welder (to be fair this was a friend doing it at mates rates)for the full Bimota Beauty treatment it deserves better. But for now its fine and there are still many other issues to deal with before the bike hits the road

Last edited by welshlamb on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
brian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Ralph!

That's a really good weight saving for little cost (other than the battery).

I worry about lithium ion batteries on these old bikes with dodgy charging systems. I've had a bad experience with 2 x lithium batteries on different bikes where they overcharged and almost caught fire. One of them actually blew the side out of the battery.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Ralph -

Looking at the design, I wonder whether it could be formed out of a single sheet, with the attachment brackets being cutouts that are folded out, rather than welded on?

Also - I'll have a closer look at mine, next time I have the bodywork off. I know I've got the original heavy holder, but there's a Marelli battery in there - is that a different spec of battery from what you're looking at?

Regards,
Mike
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Nice work Ralph!

I worry about lithium ion batteries on these old bikes with dodgy charging systems. I've had a bad experience with 2 x lithium batteries on different bikes where they overcharged and almost caught fire. One of them actually blew the side out of the battery.

Hi Brian, back from hols eh!

I ran one on the bike I sold to Hindsight on this forum, it gave me no problems and looks like its still performing (see his post above).

As I was missing a reg/rect on the bike when i bought it (ie Centre Point sales have it somewhere!) I am fitting a new one which is specifically designed for LifePo batteries wit a low max voltage and much closer controls on the ripple current . (so they say)

Last edited by welshlamb on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
Very nice Ralph -

Looking at the design, I wonder whether it could be formed out of a single sheet, with the attachment brackets being cutouts that are folded out, rather than welded on?

Also - I'll have a closer look at mine, next time I have the bodywork off. I know I've got the original heavy holder, but there's a Marelli battery in there - is that a different spec of battery from what you're looking at?

Regards,
Mike

Re your first point; some of the brackets yes but not all. I was also concerned to get extra material and solidity on the bracket mounting to the cyl head Unless you have a laser/water-jet cutter to hand I also think it would be difficult to make a neat job on the cut outs?

Yes a slightly higher rating on this one (a 'SHIDO') I believe as the one on your bike fits quite easily in the OE battery box. I'm not sure if I clicked on the right one when ordering but this one should certainly do the job required of it .
hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:
Unless you have a laser/water-jet cutter to hand I also think it would be difficult to make a neat job on the cut outs?

This is exactly what I was thinking - I don't have one, but I have emailed designs to engineering companies that can do this quickly and easily. Most recently, I had a set of exhaust hangers cut for a Laverda, for example.

Still very impressed with what you've done there though. If you plan on doing it again, let me know Smile
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:

Still very impressed with what you've done there though. If you plan on doing it again, let me know Smile

I could I am sure do it better next time but I've still got a long list of 'to-do's' written on the whiteboard in the garage.

Electrics is always a pain but major threat after that is the non appearance of some custom exhaust cans i ordered. I keep chasing but fabricator but he says he is waiting on his supplier etc etc... you know the story I,m sure.

Then I just need to sell a kidney or liver to finance the paint job and finally get it all checked out on a rolling road!

As they say,........ if you knew at the start, you would never set off!"
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good there Ralph...and I dont often give praise as you know....yeh...the old plate steel one is really not "Bimota" standards...although all the nice welded on tabs for the fuse box...Starter solenoid etc are what bimota do best....always everything has its place....although using another "Oil cooler" valve cover on the rear cylinder to hold the base of the box threw me....a long while ago....making it more difficult for valve and shim servicing...of course...as the ruddy battery, the box, and everything connected to it has to come out to get the valve cover off...but then thats what makes these bikes so beautiful....the effort and fore thought to save weight and space...fully engineered right through and through...nice to see some progress also
Ahab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy!
What type of Shido battery did you buy?

Regards,
Ahab
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: