Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R - advice is appreciated!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulcorny

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: SB6R - advice is appreciated! Reply with quote

Hello! a few weeks ago I asked about buying a YB9, Anyway, I now have my eye on an SB6R. I bet you have been asked this type of question loads but; Am I buying into a world of pain? They bike looks great and the price is fair. But is there anything I need to be warned about???! Is it true that I would need to drop the engine to change the front sprocket or is it a myth?? Any nuggets of wisdom would be massively appreciated! I WILL OWN A BIMOTA ONE DAY...! thanks in advance! Smile
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

Great motor, great frame, heavy wheels, heavy end cans, fragile clocks, alternator coupler vulnerable to weak battery, plastic tank vulnerable to damage by ethanol in fuel, fairing panels prone to cracking, some Suzuki parts getting thin on the ground. All of this can be addressed, but requires a sizeable budget, albeit you then have a great bike. Valve clearances, front sprocket, clutch and clutch slave can be dealt with by pivotting the motor on its pins, rather than dropping it, which you don’t want to do, as it’s heavy.

Very much depends on what you want from a bike. If you’re handy with the spanners, there’s nothing that will be beyond you. If you rely on somebody else to do the spannering, there are easier rides.

Good luck, if you decide to press on with Bimota ownership.
Jaguar

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys like to point out the "drop the motor to change the sprocket" all the time.

1-How often are you changing the sprocket?
2-I bet you it takes longer to get the bodywork off of the bike than it does to get the motor out of the frame.

If you want this level of exotic, you have to put some time in.
None of it is hard, it 100% should be in the wheelhouse of a DIY owner. It just takes some time.

The other "issues" are widely known GSXR things and all have more then one solution.
stockcar

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very under rated bike IMO, not really sure why as they are cracking to ride and the motor is a peach
Paulcorny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Looking like I will be trading in my 4LO LC for one - perhaps... I will keep you posted. Again, thanks for the information, really helpful.
daveg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul
I have sent you a pm as i have an SB6R i dont use and would like to sell.
Keep the LC and have a Bimota!!!!
Paulcorny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave. I can't see your PM? Don't think I am being thick... Could you send again? Cheers. Confused
daveg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul
Send me you mobile and i will whatsapp the pictures
Currently has body work removed (carb clean) but makes it super easy to see the comdition etc etc etc
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: