Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New member to the forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedmxr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: New member to the forum Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Fell in love with the SB8R reading motorcycle mags as a teen.
And am very excited to say that I finally own one as of this weekend.
I purchased a 2000 SB8RS with 1498 miles and a very interesting history "or so I'm told."
I tried to look my bike in the registry, 00036 is the last of the vin.
It says that the bike is SB8R but the bike is carbon as far as look go.
Registry also says it is in Australia but the bike was ordered new for the USA.
I think I'm happy to join the club,
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the Eurocycle bike sold!

If you search around you will see that bike came to them via Iconic auctions a couple of years ago.

It was Nicholas Cage was the original owner from what I have seen.
Unsure how long he kept it, or who if anyone owned it after that.

It has been unused for a while so I assume it needs a service.
What are your plans with the bike?
stockcar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome along
Speedmxr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was from EuroCycle. Quite the experience I must say.
I went round with those guys for a while on the bike. They charged full price plus a $1000 for safety inspection and processing but said that the bike was as is and preserved "no oil,coolant,fuel or battery" so it was up to me to get it running after the purchase. I took the gamble based on its low mileage and after inspection realized that absolutely nothing had been done to the machine. Old fuel,oil,low coolant and dead battery. After I took it home and replaced the battery I very quickly realized why it was as is where is. Battery was a nightmare so my first mod was to add 3 inch jumpers to the battery cables for ease of maintenance. The bike still refused to start until a bunch of switch flipping sparked a little ozone and the fuel pump came on! Checked all fluids changed bad fuel and she started. Not sure but probably a poor decision because I hadn't checked the air filter and I imagine based on the state of the bike it was crumble. I let it warm up and rolled the throttle a bit but it seems to stumble quite a bit so I will be pulling her in for a complete bodywork teardown and inspection. I did not see anything to change fuel settings so far and wonder if there is something missing? There is a small silver knurled knob on the clutch side but thats it. Anyways it appears that I have a lot to learn on this machine and will greatly appreciate any help while on this forum.
Thank you
SB8_#34

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome and congrats on the purchase!
the knurled knob tucked under the tank is for idle adjustment

i'm glad to hear that bike finally found a home and you are planning to ride it. they're tons of fun!
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that bike in person on one of my previous visits to LV. The guys at the dealership did not strike me as a friendly bunch. I don't recall if that particular SB8R had a fuel trimmer on it, if not then perhaps power commander may be an option.

This bike has a Suzuki TL-R motor, which is a great motor but has some shortcomings. One is its prone to leaks, would recommend you going on a TL forums and read up on that. Clutch case was plastic with metal sleeves for the retaining bolts. After a while plastic would deform and start leaking. Tightening retaining bolts does nothing as the metal sleeves will move through the plastic cover. Took me a while to figure that out but got it sorted thanks to one of those forums.

Not an easy bike to ride due to the ergos (long arms, short leg combo) but some of that may be improved with adjustable rear sets. Very quick turn ins. Keep in mind that many pieces on the body work are unobtanium. I can't recall if mine had the "suicide" kick stand. If your does, I would recommend looking into removing the self retracting feature from the kick stand as soon as possible. Dropping an SB8R esepcnailly an S is not really an option.

Other than that its a pure sex on 2 wheels. Enjoy!
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Tirefriar

Saw that bike in person on one of my previous visits to LV. The guys at the dealership did not strike me as a friendly bunch. I don't recall if that particular SB8R had a fuel trimmer on it, if not then perhaps power commander may be an option.

This bike has a Suzuki TL-R motor, which is a great motor but has some shortcomings. One is its prone to leaks, would recommend you going on a TL forums and read up on that. Clutch case was plastic with metal sleeves for the retaining bolts. After a while plastic would deform and start leaking. Tightening retaining bolts does nothing as the metal sleeves will move through the plastic cover. Took me a while to figure that out but got it sorted thanks to one of those forums.

Not an easy bike to ride due to the ergos (long arms, short leg combo) but some of that may be improved with adjustable rear sets. Very quick turn ins. Keep in mind that many pieces on the body work are unobtanium. I can't recall if mine had the "suicide" kick stand. If your does, I would recommend looking into removing the self retracting feature from the kick stand as soon as possible. Dropping an SB8R esepcnailly an S is not really an option.

2004 BMW R11S BCR
Tirefriar

duplicate message
2004 BMW R11S BCR

Last edited by Tirefriar on Tue May 24, 2022 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tirefriar

2004 BMW R11S BCR
brian

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum mate.

I believe the Bimotas that went to USA started their VIN number sequence from 0001.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: