Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB6 No high beam, low beam, no horn and no clue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjtango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: DB6 No high beam, low beam, no horn and no clue Reply with quote

My headlight and horn have all stopped working on my 2007 DB6. I know they are all connected to the same 15Amp fuse which I have changed, more than once. The position light is still working so I am guessing it is on a different circuit. All the bulbs have also been changed. When I first noticed the headlight was not operating I changed the fuse and everything worked fine. Then I had to install a new battery and since then I cannot get either the headlight or horn working again. Any ideas how to proceed because at this point I am hesitant to work on the electrical system myself without any further information? Thank you in advance for any advice
Andrew034

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the electrics on the DB6, however if the fuse is OK and all bulbs are OK then it is likely an earthing problem. (My SB6 has had the issue on the headlights).

So from first principles, the entire bike chassis is earthed (i.e. connected to the negative terminal of the battery) and an easy start is the horn.

If you run a wire from the positive battery terminal to the horn connector. If the connector has only one wire, this is easy, unplug the connector and directly connect the wire to the horn on the connector.

If there are two wires, then one wire will be brown or black and the other red yellow or some other colour, you need to connect the battery positive to the coloured wire while still having the connector attached to the horn.

When you make contact between the battery positive and the horn positive connector, the horn should sound, if it doesn't then the earth connector is bad. If there is a two wire horn connector this can be difficult.

The next test (assuming the horn doesn't work) is to run a line from the battery negative to either the point where the horn screws onto the bike (or if there are two horn wires, the brown / black wire). Now when you press the horn, if the earth is bad, it should now work normally and even the indicators may work (don't forget to turn the ignition on first).

The order you do the test is not critical, but I usually test the positive side first.

Note if you get anything wrong, sparks may be seen, so use small wires and if you see sparks stop immediately.

Assuming it is an earthing issue, you'll need to trace the battery negative side across the bike and see where it attaches to the front subframe (horn lights etc.)

If you have a test lead or multimeter, the process is more sophicated and better, let me know and I'll alter these instructions accordingly.

Let me know how you go.

Andrew...
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a long one this...but you do know that the headlight only works after the engine is started and running for a second or 2?...its to stop the headlight draining the battery before it starts the engine...horn should be easy....connect the 2 spade terminals on the horn to a seperate battery first to check the horn itself is working
pjtango

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dream is for a problem to be solved in 2 seconds on this bike. It didn't stop me from double checking though. Thanks for the long shot.
Andrew, thanks for the information. The horn is a two wire. I ran the wire from the positive to the coloured connection and the horn worked. I do have a multimeter so any additional information would be appreciated.
Don't know if this will help the trouble shooting, but I first noticed the problem when my brother was riding the bike and I was riding ahead and noticed the headlight flickering before going out. When I installed new bulbs, they worked fine until I rode the bike a couple of miles, then nothing. It was then that I tracked down which fuse the high and low beam were on and discovered the horn was on the same system. Put in a new fuse and everything worked until the battery change. Everything else on the bike is working fine, so it is something in the one circuit.
fish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi my way of thinking.this problem was before the new battery was put in.check all pos and negative wires a battery.take fuse out of faulty circuit.then check power coming to fuse box.then take wiring connection off light/horn switch block,replace fuse in fuse box..then check power coming to the the switch box.then take wiring of headlights and horn and reconnect switch block and check power to horn and headlights.this is a way of isolating the section of faulty wiring a process of finding the problem hope this helps
DB1-DB2SR-DB2EF-DB3-DB4 Db10 YB6-yb7_yb10-2xyb11-SB5,2xSB6-kb3-yb5-MILLE MIKEHAILWOOD HARRIS MAGMAN2-TRIUMPH T140-RG500x2-KAWA Z900-SUZUKI GSX1100-DUCATI 900SS- 750 sport ducati DUCATI F1 750- 851 tri colour-500sl-1996 Trumph datona . Vee two alchemy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: