Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 rebuild: Here we go again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph, this project is coming along nicely. The engine and swing arm look fantastic. Interesting scenario with the headers. Brilliant result on the headers that you now have. Do you have any mufflers yet? Keep up the good work mate.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

Ralph, this project is coming along nicely. The engine and swing arm look fantastic. Interesting scenario with the headers. Brilliant result on the headers that you now have. Do you have any mufflers yet? Keep up the good work mate.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: damned exhausts Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:

I love the satin sheen but know that in use its going to be hard/impossible to keep like that so may yet go for some coating. If I do I'll let you know.

I have to say WelshLamb....well done.....I've used a similar guy up in Mcr....who has a massive mopping industrial machine and worked wonders with SS and Alloy....the mopping wheel was motorbike wheel size

I really wouldnt bother with Camcoating those headers...reasons are several fold

Cost
You already have a nice finish which will blue up but is easy to keep clean unless youre going to ride thru every winter 10,000miles per year....my DB2 and DB4 polished headers still look good 10-14 years on from original polish....
3rdly.....it will save you time in completing the project and actually riding and completing it

Have to ask though....Have you still got a cat in the collector?...That wont help you with flatslide carbs and big bore kit?

Oh...4thly....the camcoaters would grit blast your pipes for key for the painted sprayed cam coat process....which after paint and before tumbling/polishing...comes out white.....it ends up shiney satin....BUT...very soon becomes dull satin in under a year....I did it with my new cat free headers I bought for DB5R and DB6R...but havent used them since....after 10+ years they still look good...but not as good as the polished SS original headers on other bikes I have to say
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:

Thanks for the comments Brian. (clearly meant it as you posted 3 times Very Happy )

Had to take a week off due to some much delayed work on a couple of pairs of new garage doors. (need to top up on the familial browny points)

currently fitting the aftermarket belly pan and half fairing. The moulds were taken from originals but unless you are very careful there is laways the potential for some shrinkage/twisting etc. the screen doesnt quite fit on one side so trying to figureout if its the screen or the fairing. Don't want to force anything a nd of course you only want to drill one set of mounting and screen holes!!
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: damned exhausts Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

I really wouldnt bother with Camcoating those headers...reasons are several fold

Cost
You already have a nice finish which will blue up but is easy to keep clean unless youre going to ride thru every winter 10,000miles per year....my DB2 and DB4 polished headers still look good 10-14 years on from original polish....

3rdly.....it will save you time in completing the project and actually riding and completing it

Have to ask though....Have you still got a cat in the collector?...That wont help you with flatslide carbs and big bore kit?

Oh...4thly....the camcoaters would grit blast your pipes for key for the painted sprayed cam coat process....which after paint and before tumbling/polishing...comes out white.....it ends up shiney satin....BUT...very soon becomes dull satin in under a year....I did it with my new cat free headers I bought for DB5R and DB6R...but havent used them since....after 10+ years they still look good...but not as good as the polished SS original headers on other bikes I have to say

Cheers for the comments.

'Polishing man' is one of a 'dying breed'. (Probably true in both senses of the expression true given the dust and shit all over his workshop.) At work we phased out some beautiful hand finished parts for aqua blasting as the old guys retired and no one wanted to do the job and there were loads of concerns over H&S compliance. A pity as we never got close to original finish in terms of WOW! factor or consistency of production.

Time: Yeah I know but with other things going on and still to do thats not my main concern

Cost: Having to this week ordered heating fuel at 150% higher price than standard (and 5055 higher than a lockdown low) I'm in WTF mood! Fisrt time a heating bill has pushed me to take a bit more out of my pension pot!

Cat: The 2-1 isnt a cat. The 'expanded section just has a perforated tube section section through it to I guess slow down gasses and decrease noise. Theres no big bore kit. Most restrictive part of the whole standard system is the is the exhaust cans (and the shit welding of the exhaust flange collars!)

Coating: I agree re Camcoat but have decided to go with a Ti finish from Cerakote. Will match the new cans Wink when they are made. Will be smooth and maintenance free but mainly decisonis based on reducing number of different finishes.

Now where is that dammned fairing!! Mad
brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:

currently fitting the aftermarket belly pan and half fairing. The moulds were taken from originals but unless you are very careful there is laways the potential for some shrinkage/twisting etc. the screen doesnt quite fit on one side so trying to figureout if its the screen or the fairing. Don't want to force anything a nd of course you only want to drill one set of mounting and screen holes!!

Yeas, you definitely don’t want to force it, best if it sits nicely and the screws just stop it from falling off. I made the mistake of drilling the holes on my new SB6 screen too neat and the screen cracked a month later, probably with expansion. So I’d recommend having a little clearance on the holes too

Last edited by brian on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshlamb wrote:

Yeas, you definitely don’t want to force it, best if it sits nicely and the screws just stop it from falling off. I made the mistake of drilling the holes on my new SB6 screen too neat and the screen cracked a month later, probably with expansion. So I’d recommend having a little clearance on the holes too
Anders

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my trackday fairing, I made my own screen. To avoid cracking, I used double-sided tape to fix the screen to the fairing. Have been working well for years.

However, I have to admit that it doesn't look quite like OEM quality.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Don't want to force anything a nd of course you only want to drill one set of mounting and screen holes!!

Hah!, we live in hope.

I have been isolating with mild Covid for last couple of days. Headaches and rather 'congested' Hopefully up back and running (and in the garage by start of next week)
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He lives! I hear you say.
A lamentable absence from the forum all due to an (almost) equally lamentable lack of progress on this project. Many excuses could be made but probably not very good ones ... so here goes an attempt to get this back on track

When last posting I had a bike with nice headers but no exhausts. So let's get up to date on that first and tackle.

- Header finish
- Exhaust clamps
- Exhaust cans and a way of fixing them!

Remembering that my inspiration for this build is the beautiful Moto Corse built (customer request) DB2C
hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the results Ralph... Smile
hindsight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the results Ralph... Smile
welshlamb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He lives! I hear you say.
A lamentable absence from the forum all due to an (almost) equally lamentable lack of progress on this project. Many excuses could be made but probably not very good ones ... so here goes an attempt to get this back on track

When last posting I had a bike with nice headers but no exhausts. So let's get up to date on that first !
welshlamb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, my vision for this bike was inspired by the 'DB2C' built by Moto Corse as a one-off for a customer. The Marvic wheels are one big difference to the overall appearance and the other was the exhaust system.

I have seen (and heard!) these exhausts on 2Bims DB2 and really like the more 'brutal' appearance they lend the back end.

So after aborted interest from a couple of builders I eventually found someone to make custom cans and 1-2 section in Ti. The fit had to be exact as it mated to the 2-1 OE exhaust section and needed to exit correctly to fit the underseat exhaust cutouts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: