Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Wanted - Furano or Tuatara

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lordmoonpie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Wanted - Furano or Tuatara Reply with quote

Having hung up my race leathers and sold my race bike I'm looking for a classic Bimota for the road and love the looks/design of the YB6 Tuatara and the YB8EI Furano.

Has anyone got a nice low mileage loved example that they'd like to consider passing on to a new steward, preferably in the UK? I Have cash waiting but having sold one bike it'll be burning a hole in my pocket to replace it.

Any suggestions on where to find one of the above or offers for sale, please do get in touch...thanks in anticipation!
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Wanted - Furano/Tuatara Reply with quote

The Tuatara and Furano were two of Bimota’s attempts to get the FZR1000 motor to work in their bike, despite completely different induction, borne of a different air box layout, by utilising fuel injection. Not many of either bike were made, so they are not thick on the ground in any condition. It’s understandable that you would prefer a low mileage but well-loved one. But these are mutually exclusive terms - how many oil changes were skipped during lockdown, on the basis that: “no miles covered = no maintenance required”. These bikes are around 30 years old now and for the most part still pogoing around on their original fork and shock oil. The valve clearances won’t have been looked at because Mr Yamaha put a 29,000 mile interval on them and because doing them will need a very comprehensive strip down, owners are encouraged in their neglect.

The carb’d versions of the Yamaha Bimotas had woeful fuelling out of the crate (hence the fuel injected versions) but the carbs are almost infinitely tuneable, because they were used in so many different bikes and the carb’d bikes, whilst still pretty rare, are more readily available than the FI versions.

If I haven’t put you off, Bimotas we’re not built in sufficient numbers to create the cash flow that would have funded niceties like “ease of maintenance”. So ideally you will want to be in a position to do much of the maintenance yourself, because you”ll struggle to find anybody to do it for you for less than a king’s ransom.

Having said all that, I love my Bimotas, probably because I’ve put so much work into them, that I can’t afford to hate them - at least not all of the time!
Lordmoonpie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Wanted - Furano or Tuatara Reply with quote

Hi Jonny, thanks for the candid appraisal of ownership - always good to go into these things with both eyes open!

I am used to doing things myself so should be reasonably OK. I've built and raced bikes for many years and after giving up racing carried on building for others and restoring bikes so I can do most stuff. I've restored things like OW01s, RC30s etc so am used to the problem of needing to replace a part and not being able to buy one from a dealer. It' half the fun in a twisted kind of way! If anything the FI would be the most challenging part.

I had an SB6 14 years ago ( the fast white/red/carbon one Wink) and had to do a bit of maintenance on that so not entirely a Bimota virgin. I've never really followed the herd and like bikes/cars that are uncommon, not for any vanity factor, more for the experience. Even had a Vyrus 985 C3 4V for 18 months, now that was an experience, especially in difficult maintenance.

I think I'm going into this prospect expecting a few troubles, frustrations and also some glorious riding days, just need to find the right bike now... Wink
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Wanted Furano/Tuatara Reply with quote

In that case, best of luck with your search - the YBs are a nicely balanced bike and a great ride, once sorted.
ruffef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord M

Have you seen this?
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1398262
It's not an 8 or a tuatara, but looks in nice condition. But may ot work as it's over in europe. I'm sure you'd get some takers to ride it back for you....

Having said that, whereabouts are you. If you're nearby (guildford), and want to come look at my furano then let me know

fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: