Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB7-11 VLX MULE resurrection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlefolk of the Tortured Beauty called Bimota, we have another update.

A trip, post lock down from southern Essex through the Sugar Beet lands and onto the Fens meant a viewing of the DB7-11 supercharger.

The good news was the belt alignment issue was simply a mis positioned bearing in an out rigger.

And the cont8nued stop starting now means the bike starts on its OEM 12volt system without the need for an additional battery up to 24volt.

XBikes are now having some 3D printing done for final fix brackets and pipe and electrics supports.

The master cylinders will not bleed regardless what is done to it and some MV Brutale cylinders are being sought and fitted by Chris.

When I say sought....on my last visit I counted over 10 MVs in the workshop....he hasn’t got to go far for the substitutes

Things seem to be gaining pace and large brackets have been fabricated to strap the bike down in the Dyno.

Chris does not trust the Bimota carbon fibre seat not to get marked during the dyno runs.

Better safe than sorry.

Figures and maps will be added soon

Regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Gavin, good news at last, can't wait to see the finished product
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin and Chris,

Fantastic work I just got all caught up and am still amazed at your collective skill and ingenuity. Well Done.

Thank you once again to 2Bims for his YouTube expertise.

Looking forward to the dyno and road test videos.

Regards,

quikduk
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we coming to the end?

Well...the Bimota DB7-11 VLX mule recreation is getting the dyno hold down clamps fitted with the bike pointing towards the Dyno room.

I think it is slowly coming to an end.

In the very beginning I was lead to believe that there were TWO Bimota VLX test bikes.

Further investigations has uncovered there was only ever ONE, but in presented various states and guises.

Here are the list of changes.

First viewed with RED framed and Extremes' RED forks and rear shock and a Ducati 1098 engine. TWIN headlight from DB7 along with DB7 body work

Next veiwed with BLACK frame with Extreme front and rear but a different 1098 engine.

Viewed later again with Extreme rear shock but with Ohlins forks with Bimota fork ends at axle point.DB6 headlight and new body work, different 1098 engine 3 shower injector

Another Ducati 1198 engine after layshaft failure on the 1098. (3rd engine replacement)

Back to the red frame with the 1198 engine, custom OHLINS rear with Extreme red forks.

Back to the black frame, Ducati 1198 engine, Arrows race exhaust after the OEM Arrows burnt out, DB7 KOSO dash

This was the one on which the major miles and dyno were applied. Special ATHENA ECU and 4 shower injectors.

At the EICMA show it was: EXTREME RED front fork and Ohlins rear, Black frame and Flat screen TFT AIM dash, Carbon fairings and DB6 single headlight, new 1198 engine, Arrows race exhaust and new wheels.

This was the final viewing of the bike at IECMA before the shelving of the DB11 VLX project, by the Swiss based owners

Shortly after this, Davide Commandini parted ways with Bimota, after making a non working mock up of the IMPETO VLX, which was exhibited in TOKYO and IECMA....alongside the Tesi 3 Cafe Racer

Early in all of this, I started my facination of the VLX and despite all the promises of ownership....nothing was ever achieved...it was sold to an Italian collector.

I frustratedly decided, to build my own version and accumulated parts from my sources.

The results you can see and hear on this thread but during the build....something else happened.

Some 3 years later I was offered the very DB11 VLX as exhibited at the last IECMA show albeit some parts were missing or used on other BIMOTA bikes.

Parts missing...namely the Ohlins rear shock, which was replaced by a Extreme unit and the TFT AIM dash.

Oh, the joys of dealing with a financially restrained motorcycle manufacturer.

Bimota ceased production and everything was shipped to a storage unit and also a unit in Switzerland.

Bimota was no more... only a name and a husk of what it was......fans like 2Bims had more Bimotas than the factory!

Now the time has come to finalise the building of this replica and its build story and start another chapter on the actual official factory Bimota DB11 VLX re commissioning.

So, as this DB7-11 mule resurrection thread comes to an end, albeit without cosmetics and final set up or blow up......the reason for its existance has gone full circle.

I am emailing Chris at XBIKES after this post to fire up the MULE when he is ready and commence the finalisation .......it has been 3 years to the month when it sent to the Fenlands for wiring.

I hope that you Bimota folk have enjoyed the whine.

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer

Last edited by Gavin944888 on Wed May 12, 2021 8:41 am; edited 2 times in total
djt77

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear the end is nearly in sight, i look forward to first ride report and how it compares with the show example Smile

Well done for sticking with it Gavin, I know it hasn't been an easy journey
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice irn bru man....and even a mention of my good/bad self....your signature needs adding to...you're missing one bimota...
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: FOXTROT FOXTROT SIERRA Reply with quote

Mapping was progressing as planned after the last final re-check on belt and pulley alignment.... indicated that the SuperCharger pulley has retreated slightly under load!

X Bikes returned from they vacation only for the charger to stop spinning and stop the engine.

Un-hooking the belt got the engine running again....but the charger was hard to turn....by hand.

Un-bolting the charger showed that the chargers twin turbine viens had picked up something and needed ........dismantling.

Chris emailed...the tone reflected reflected my feeling for the news. FFS!

A seized SPRINTEX ...the second one on this project!

The first locked up under hand fitment and debris was seen on dismantling....this one ran on the bike for X hours only before partially seizing.

I have a third and final Sprintex in my workshop that I acquired for just such a fiasco.....it is now with PostMan Pat heading to the Fenlands and Xbikes.

If this one fails......I can see why the DB11VLX project was aborted.

But in the meantime ........we drink Irn Bru (famous scottish soft drink who's motto was never give up...I've got work to do.....ya bastard!)

More to come......I am sure

A dispondent .....................Gavin

TVRRICH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Gavin, really sorry to hear of the seizure!!!, lets hope the 3rd one does the business
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: