Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

BB1 seat to footrest height

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racingrotax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: BB1 seat to footrest height Reply with quote

A question from a new owner of a BB1 supermono, has anyone lifted the seat foam or lowered the footrests to increase the seat to footrest height ?
Anders

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: BB1 seat to footrest height Reply with quote

racingrotax wrote:
A question from a new owner of a BB1 supermono, has anyone lifted the seat foam or lowered the footrests to increase the seat to footrest height ?

I have not. I use a 10mm pad instead of the OEM seat, so my effective seat height is actually a little lower than with the original seat unit.

The footpegs are quite high, but if you lower them, you run the risk of scratching the ground when doing some inspired (track) riding. As they are of the non-folding type, this could quickly become a problem.
My point is that if I should lower the pegs, I would also replace them with a folding type.
Troid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed a set of brackets to lower the rearsets, am getting on in age and my knees are mashed but dont have a big issue, any distance I have done hasn't been that bad.

would look to maybe sell the brackets if you're interested
Anders

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I think I have enough brackets for my lifetime Wink

I made some rearsets a few years back. The plan was make some sets to sell addition to the set I needed for my own bike, but sale has been slow....
TonyMarjoram

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it became fashionable for Italian bikes of that period to have unnecessarily high footrests - I have an earlier Aermacchi racer that is the same. If you are tall, with longer legs, this can become a problem, and also when you get older. I lowered the footrests on my Aermacchi quite well and am thinking of doing the same to my racer BB1, which is nearing completion (as much as racing machines are ever completed). I was thinking of pivoting the footrest brackets around the lower bolt and putting a linkage between the top bolt and the frame to angle the bracket down, toward the footrest. I'll post pictures when I get it done.

I have fitted an Over aluminium racing silencer and a 4L tank above the carbs (now FCR35s), having relocated the electrics on a vertical panel behind the oil tank, where the radiator expansion tank use to go. I need to fit an expansion tank, check the electrics and ignition, fill with water and oil and ... BANG, hopefully.

They have just started BEARS racing again in Oz, with a class for sound of singles, just like the old days, except for COVID.

Cheers

Tony
Anders

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

I would very much like to see those pictures (in due time). Also pictures of the silencer and tank, if possible.
I have also been contemplating a tank above the carms (2x36mm dell'Ortos in my case).
TonyMarjoram

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anders,

Thanks for your comments. I'll take some photos today of the tank and silencer if the light is OK (winter still in Oz!). Also the footrest, to show what I mean.

4l tank good for 60km normal mileage, so should be OK for 10 laps at least, racing speed, or road ride rests for vibration. I'm looking forward to riding the BB1, vibration can't be that bad - I still have a Triton on which once I stopped at a traffic lights and my vision blurred, luckily I thought of sympathetic vibration, blipped the throttle and hey presto, reality restored. Has anybody ever tried to rebalance the Rotax crankshaft?

I meant to ask - are those footrests you made exact copies of the original, or lowered? They look to be the same.

And Troid - you "removed a set of brackets to lower the rearsets" - how did you re-affix the footrests? I'm not a spring chicken either, so high footrests are a problem if you are not a yogi. Mind you, the vibration may help jiggle the old joints?

Charlie Watts just died - RIP Charlie, end of an era? Listen to a Stones track today!

Cheers

Tony
Anders

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brackets are a copy of the originals, less the silentblocks. They are fixed firmly to the frame. The brackets are made by water jet cutting and some milling afterwards.

I also use clipons without rubber damping, and have made my own swingarm bushings from POM to reduce the movement there. One would think that this would make the vibrations even worse.

However, I don't find the vibrations too bad, as I rarely ride the bike for long trips.
However, after a couple of hours on the bike, I notice that my hands and feet are a bit numb from the vibrations.

I don't think the engine is badly balanced in the first place. I spoke to Gottfried Michels (Team Pami) 20 years ago and he was not impressed by the BB1 frame / engine mounting. He said that the BB1 vibrates more than most bikes with the same engine. The engine has a front engine mount which is not used in the BB1, but in other supermono frames and in the BMW Funduro. Hence, the engine moves around a bit more in our bikes.
Team Pami used to offer lightening of crank and balance shaft, but I don't know if they rebalanced it during that process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort..... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: