Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R speedometer drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: SB6R speedometer drive Reply with quote

I am trying to understand how the electronic speedo drive works on the standard SB6 clock.

It looks to me that the pickup is a Hall effect type unit but I cannot work out if the magnetic component that triggers the signal to the speedo is the actual sensor or are the bolts that attach to the disk supposed to be magnetized? I tried checking the magnetism on bot the sensor and the bolts but no luck.

Reason for asking is that the speedo is not working and I have have replaced the stepper motor with one that has the same rating - a major effort that I will describe in a future post - and the speedo is still not working so I am suspecting the sensor that is attached to the LH fork is not getting a signal, or it could be faulty.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated
brian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know much about it, but I thought the bolts that the pickup sense had to be steel and not stainless steel.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: SB6R clocks Reply with quote

I’m afraid these are cheap & cheerful clocks, that don’t merit the effort of trying to fix them. Far better to go to an after-market replacement.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: SB6r Reply with quote

To answer your specific question, the bolts need to be ferrous, whilst it is the sensor that is magnetic.
davidt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: SB6R speedometer drive Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your responses.

Jonny B, knowing its the sensor that has to be magnetic has allowed me to narrow the problem down it being the issue that will hopefully be straightforward to resolve - a broken or disconnected wire if I am lucky.

Having had the instruments apart to replace the stepper motors I agree they are not a quality product but I like the challenge of making them work and keeping the bike original
Ulrich

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davidt
did you make any progress?
did you ckeck the capacitor ?
you can use magnets to get a stronger signal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: