Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB7 rev counter won't go back to zero!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickyb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: DB7 rev counter won't go back to zero! Reply with quote

Hi there,

My rev counter used to behave in the usual rev counter way... when I turned the engine off, it would go back to zero. Perfect!

The battery power became questionable coming up to winter and when trying to start it on a couple of occasions the led display lost some info, such as the time etc, however, the needle returned to zero.

Perhaps the 4th occasion this happened, I turned the bike off, but the needle stopped at the 1000rev marker.

Im wondering if this is a 'fault code' telling me to change the battery or something more sinister?

Ive since charged the battery (it is going to need changing - its still struggling to spin the engine over like it should do, but it is better than it was before being charged) and the needle still stops at 1000 when its switched off.

When the bike is running, the needle is showing 1000 revs higher than the lights in the display are showing.

Ive had the clocks off, checked connections etc, all looks fine.

Any ideas please? Can they be reset to return the needle to nought

Thanks
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite simple really......The adopted Bimota labelled clocks are a KOSO unit which is quite a good unit...albeit a bit budget in construction....the only "fault codes' that are capable on that unit are the engine management light coming on if theres an error code in the ECU...and a spanner indicating a service requirement which simply comes from the koso unit achieving a preset mileage.....What those particualr kos units can do...is have the needle on the tacho fall off...it was an early recall/warranty issue on some bikes...you'll find that the needle is glued on with what looks like builders filler...a white chalkey substance...and I reckon your needle has simply "slipped" on its pin...which is why at starts at 1000, but reads 1,000 more throught its cycle....take the unit apart and lift the perspex body off....small phillips head cross screws hold it together...and see if the needle is loose...and turn it back to zero...a quick fix but it could slip again and may need a tiny blob of glue...I had a DB7 where the tacho needle was bouncing all over the place it was only holding on by a tiny piece of paste that evidently had dried out or got damp...as the clocks can allow moisture in...try not to get them wet if washing the bike.

Dont try too much starting your bike if battery is dying...you'll fry the sprag clutch, or starter button or starter...or all three....Hopefully you are pulling the clutch in to lessen the load when starting...they also recommend switching the engine off using the kill button and not the ignition key
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's happened to me a few times with the DB7 , always when battery low and always gone back to zero when I charged battery and re-started.
However I have had a similar thing with an electrical driven tacho on the boat. Returned to zero a few times after settling at 1-2k rpm but ultimately would not zero. Had to buy a new tacho in the end.
You may find it settles back to zero but if not, Koso clocks are not that expensive and a replacement will not have some of the functionality locked out like the Bimota one does.
As 2Bims say. Don't try to start a big Duc with a duff battery as it can kill the sprag clutch, as well as the clock.
Bruno

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep happend to my db7, reads 1500 lrpm low, needle has slipped on shaft. Will have to re glue when i have time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: