Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB4S or not...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flytoolow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: SB4S or not... Reply with quote

Well Ive been lurking on these pages for a while now, mainly on the YB pages so dont shoot me too soon.

Im still looking for something Bimota to put in the garage.

Ive come across something SB4 flavoured, indicated to be a SB4S ...but it isn't.

The engine is apparently tuned to 151 RWHP ( dynograph seen)

The colour isn't original ( complete Ferrari red)

Full fairing.

No Oil cooler

4 into 2 exhaust

The price is about right in my eyes.
The distance is acceptable (in these COVID days)

But a heavily tuned GS1100 engine with no oil cooler tells me to walk away. Registration says SB4 - I believe Kit built

Am I correct in thinking that there could be too much risk in it all ?

Just want something for Sunday afternoons..

Cheers
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: SB4s (without the s) Reply with quote

I would want to know who had done the motor and satisfy myself that he had a reputation for reliably getting that much power out of that lump. Absent that kind of reassurance, I’d want to know the whereabouts of a potential replacement motor and pay accordingly.
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the price is right, I'd buy it. 150 rwhp sounds like a lot of fun, more in line with an SB6 with a GSXR1100 engine.

You are always going to be taking a risk with an old bike. I never assume a bike is not going to need some work when I buy it. It doesn't worry me as I do all my own work so a rebuild would only be a matter of my time and some $$.

If the engine sounds good and doesn't blow smoke, it will probably be OK.

If you want risk free, buy a brand new bike.

BTW, some of the race bikes here are getting 180 rwhp out their GSX1100 engines. Reliability is pretty poor though.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re colour: even if a factory build these bikes could be ordered with any paint (you pay, you say!)
Engine (as per above) was early GSX1100 engine (1075cc) the SB5 used the later 1135cc motor. So definitely not a GS1000 engine.
stockcar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some other markets the GSX range was monikered GS........
Spongebob

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

150bhp on a GSX1100 motor isn't that high but no oil cooler is a big red flag as it will be running very hot at this level of tune. Very easy and cheap to fix though. The frame already has mounting points to allow fitting of an oil cooler. There are 2 blanking points adjacent to the oil filter at the front of the motor where you run the lines from. You also need to blank one of the inner oil ways to divert flow through the cooler but Chris at Grumpy 1260 in UK has a complete kit.

I bought an SB4 last year and very quickly discovered a very poor attempt to hide an oil leak between engine casings and cylinder block. The only way to get to it is engine out which was fun. With the head and barrels now off I have discovered pitted cams, corroded and scratched bores and multiple stripped threads and 2 broken bolts. Whilst totally pissed off this is always a risk with old bikes but Suzuki parts are still fairly easy to find and not too expensive.

If the price is right go for it as that Suzuki motor is the least of your worries!
Spongebob

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I think GS1150 is the US designation of the 1100 EFE engine. If it's been fitted with one of these (easily identified) then 150bhp is nothing! Look for TSCC on cam covers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: