Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

KB1 engine numbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motoman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: KB1 engine numbers Reply with quote

Hello,

First post here.

So I gather only a small number of KB1s were factory assembled.

Is it the case that the engine numbers for these match exactly the frame number? I have seen KB1s stating to have an engine number of the frame as opposed to the usual Kawasaki engine format for the year.

Does this therefore mean a KB1 with a typical KZT00 number is likely to have been a kit bike. If so checking for original fit engines is difficult?

Appreciate any clarifications.

Thanks.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really really hard to say......generally.....theres never any matching numbers of frame to engine.....In the early days....Kits were offered.....and for factory built Full bikes....Bimota used to have to buy the complete donor bike from Japan....and then strip out what they needed....whereas frame numbers ran in sequence....So...does it have a Z900 motor or a Z1000..??...And then...theres the passage of time.....Do you have its full history or have owned it from new>??..as evidently it could have had its engine changed from original.....Add in the mix that they made 5 different models of the KB1.....and its a whole hotch potch of configurations possible and probably....Numbers are always an issue...Even the Vdue....which is the only Bike that Bimota made with its own engine....dont have matching engine and frame numbers...Most of us are just content to own such a machine....be whatever Bimota it is...Numbers below

Kawasaki KB1 900 Z1 319 1978–1981
KB1 T2 Z1000 508 1981–1982
KB2 Z 500 37 1981–1984
KB2 J Z 400
KB2 S Z 550 72
KB2 TT Z 600 62
KB3 Z 1000 J 112 1983–1984
John KB1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 16 KB1 were totally assembled at Rmini. In that case, engine Numbers don' t begin with KZT00AE but with KB1.

It' s the only thing I can tell you because I don' t understand all your language expression (I am French), and may be you say other things very interesting in your previous message!

Motoman, I try to register all the KB1 produced, what is your frame number?
It' s just a private register Wink .

Regards. John
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good start for registers of Bimotas....the only public one thats kept up to date

http://www.bimota.ch/register/register_bimota_kb_de.html
Motoman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information provided. This is most appreciated and helpful.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more help for you....and if you click on the image you should be able to download it and print and keep....Original KB1 Sales Brochure...finally found it on my Laptop

Wheel and tyre sizes here also

Motoman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really is good. Surprising to see a tinted screen as standard. Some very good pointers to original fixtures there.

Thanks very much
John KB1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a clear screen on your bike???

Standard version is tinted.

John
Andyg1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the 16 KB1''s with the KB1 engine number. It's an A version with single seat. Interestingly it also has added magnesium parts on the wheel fitments that are usually alloy. Mine was sold to South Africa for the production race series and then I bought it from the guy who brought it back to UK.
When the engine was stripped it was highly tuned but a complete mess!! Every item was scrap but thankfully we were able to salvage the crankcase !! I suspect most of this series were supplied for racing but can't be sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> KB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: